Author Topic: Worst childhood dish memories  (Read 17309 times)

Offline Ella

• View Profile
Re: Worst childhood dish memories
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 10:58:15 am »
Blood pancakes, fish soup cooked in milk, all of my grandmother's cooking - "this is what we ate during the war", just too many to mention.My mother was not a chef either and it has taken me all these years to learn to cook nice food. I was an omelette/ quick salad person for years. I didn't like meat as a kid - goodness only knows what was put on my plate so I'm mainly vegetarian since childhood.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
Like others, Mum cooked tripe, brains and brawn - never ate them as a kid and have never cooked them as an adult. She cooked steak until every skerrick of moisture has been removed and received the biggest flack when rice-a-riso first came on the market and she served it with some of this dried out steak. We all hated it and none of us ate it.  Poor Mum but her roasts and braizes were to die for and we never went hungry as she always gave us something else if we didn't want what she had cooked.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Ella

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:00 am »
judydawn, you just reminded of my late MIL. Potatoes and cabbage boiled to death, tripe, offal etc. Yet we had to go for Sunday lunch. every week . I ate before we went there.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 11:24:16 am »
Can't help much here.  Mum was an excellent cook,  and so were both my grandmothers.  I eat and enjoy most foods.  Love offal.
Gert and I had Blood sausage for breakfast while at Grace Town..

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 11:42:37 am »
Silverbeet boiled and slapped onto the plate that just looked like a big cow pat.  It was always cold and gritty.

Love silverbeet now and use it many dishes, just not dolloped onto the plate and I always wash, wash and re wash.

Our mothers must have been related lol
Took me years before I could eat it, once I left home.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50:06 am »
Can't help much here.  Mum was an excellent cook,  and so were both my grandmothers.  I eat and enjoy most foods.  Love offal.

I observed you both enjoying it as I tucked into my granuesli.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 11:53:16 am »
l was a terrible picky eater as a child right up until my late 20s
my list was very long ,any type of offal ,rabbit ,fish head soup ,casseroles,kangroo ,cod, tripe,
rice pudding , tapioca,bread and butter pudding ,brussel sprouts,
my mum would say that l survived  on'' fresh air and windy pie '' as l ate very little amount

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 11:56:31 am »
If I'm honest, the worst dishes I've ever had were probably things I tried to cook myself before I really developed my cooking skills ;D

I'm glad I didn't witness that Chookie :-))

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 12:29:00 pm »
Yellow haddock and mushy peas. VILE.

Love blood sausage. We have a German butcher just up the road from us who do an amazing black pudding. Also a great white pudding.  Beautiful!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:30:52 pm by Brumington »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »
I observed you both enjoying it as I tucked into my granuesli.

I would have been joining you in the granuesli Cookie  :o
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »
My mother was and still is mostly a dreadful cook and without much variety.
She made some dreadful meals that we had no choice but to endure or else cheese on toast before bed.
Her steaks were and still are exactly as you describe JD but her pork chops were a delight.
She made great soups but her mashed potato was exactly that.....boiled potato mashed with a masher, no milk, cream, butter etc just a bit of salt and served with an icecream scoop! Revolting and lumpy. And I enjoyed the steak over tripe!!!'
How sad is this that my only experience with spaghetti was out of a Heinz tin until I discovered food in my teens.
Bless her she still has no idea how to cook and is very critical of all tv chefs LOL  but I love her to bits  ;D

Bonsai

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »
Cookie I have similar memories of school dinners in the UK in  the 1960s and 70s. Couldn't leave until we'd eaten everything and it was only ..'heaving' at a supervisor that saved me from finishing a serve of liver. Still hate liver and kidney now. Liked my mum's brawn and tongue and have grown to like black pudding. Have valiantly tried to like brains but the texture turns me off.

Worst thing I've ever eaten was fried lung. For some strange reason it was being served in the university cafeteria - tasted vile and even very adventurous eater DH couldn't stomach it.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »
My Mum came from a very well to do family and didn't ever learn to cook until she married Dad and had to live on next to nothing in appalling conditions. He was an Elders man and they lived all over the state in various places in the most dastardly houses.

She learned quickly, though and was an amazing cook! The only thing I think I couldn't eat was marrow. I guess it's like a large zucchini. The texture made me gag, even though she plastered it in butter.
We even ate brains. Mum made delicious brain patties with loads of parsley, fried in bacon fat. Mum instilled in the three of us girls a love of cooking, of food and of eating and sharing the family table. The three of us still talk of her when we have our sisters get togethers.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Justine

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 12:53:59 pm »
A seriously dodgy batch of homemade yoghurt - lumpy and warm...  blergh. 

It wasn't until I got my Thermomix that I was tempted to have a go at making my own, and it was only because I was curious.  I'm thrilled to say I now make a weekly batch of Greek yoghurt, and can't imagine my fridge without it.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 01:48:55 pm »
Thanks for that Cuilidh as now that I know  what it is i agree  with Marie and don't want to eat it!!!
Haven't tried it but heard of it and not appealing!!!
How long have you lived in Oz and where in the homeland are you from.
I am from Glasgow area but not in the city.
Did my nurse training in Aberdeen