Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 815821 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1830 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:42 am »
Jo you made 100 posts.... :D :D :D :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: December 11, 2012, 05:12:08 am »
Wow, that went by fast!!   ;D 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: December 11, 2012, 01:55:18 pm »
Well, I've just done something I have never done before and that is to place a grocery order online.  I seem to have trouble getting to the shops these days so thought I'd do a big one and have it delivered to my kitchen.  It took me so long that I missed next day delivery and now have to wait until Thursday morning  :-))  No charge seeing as it was my first order.  $173 but I had an almost free shopping week last week ($3.50 for a loaf of bread) so it evens out over 2 weeks to a respectable amount.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #1833 on: December 11, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »
Wow Judy, you are clever.
I haven't grocery shopped online. They don't deliver to my area.
Do you still get the specials etc?

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: December 11, 2012, 08:02:03 pm »
There have been occasions when I'm not sure what I would have done without online grocery shopping - especially if you can choose the first delivery of the day - between 5 and 8am . .. perfect! :D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:17 pm »
My online groceries will be here tonight, between 5.30 and 8.30.

A huge order, lots of specials, all delivered upstairs for free.
saves me 2 hours a week, doing online shopping. :) :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:32 pm »
Good one JD, who did yu go with?
Check the order carefully

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: December 11, 2012, 09:16:52 pm »
I went with Woolies Hally because I wanted a couple of packets of their home brand cocoa which has been given the heads up here on the forum as being the best cocoa.  I'll check the order off against my copy Hally.  This is the most Woolies have ever got out of me, I am a Foodland shopper but sometimes you just have to do what's easiest

Michele the specials are still available - I must admit I didn't look to see what they were but when I ordered a large tin of coffee I noticed that was on special.

My delivery is between 9 am - noon.  Delivery times to suit everyone right up to 10pm at night.  Love deliveries - even if it is only food  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: December 11, 2012, 09:30:30 pm »
I love online grocery shopping  :)  (I use Countdown, which is part of Woolies group here - love that homebrand cocoa too, very rich, and use less, so even better value)
I've been doing it semi-regularly for about a year - did my first one for last Christmas.  Was great to not have to fight the crowds for our big Xmas shop.  I was hosting Xmas at our place, with family staying for a few days, so needed quite a lot, and everything just turned up on Xmas Eve!  Even the wine & beer.

I find it great for budgeting - you can look through at the end and if you've gone over, take a few things out or buy less.  And if I get half way through and remember something from the vege aisle, don't have to walk back through half the store  ;)
Plus, I think it works well for things sold by weight.  ie I order 500g of tomatoes, and get just a little over 500g.  Add that up over all the fruit, vege & meat (although I buy some fixed-price packs too) and it probably pays for the delivery! 
I've only had a couple of glitches, and just rang up and got a refund, or one time I needed a missing item, I arranged to collect it from the nearest branch. 

And saves SO much time - not just walking round the store, but queueing, loading into the car, and then getting it from my car to the bench at home.  Can add to the "trolley" all week long, and then just put it through when I am ready. 

I just so wish I'd started when we were in a rental apartment while having our renovations done!!  I had to hope for a car park at the front, leave the kids in the car while i ran up and down the stairs (wasn't safe to leave DD inside due to the awful stairs), then go park the car and walk back.  Crazy.  Why did I not think of online shopping then!?  :-))
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: December 11, 2012, 09:39:38 pm »
I loved the order I did. Its a shame there is a delivery charge. If you spend over $300 its free.

If you dont mind the fee it woukd be cheaper than shopping as you cannot be tempted by specials inthe aisles :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:02:29 pm by Halex »

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: December 11, 2012, 09:54:52 pm »
For a while I only did it when I could get free delivery codes, or some other discount code, but figured it works so well for us right now that it's worth it.  Not sure it will always be the best option for us, but suits the current situation.

Ours is a different charge depending how much you spend, or I buy a code for 10 deliveries (and last time it worked 11 times - bonus), so it's fixed price, and cheaper than standard.

I also save money by not having to drag the kids round and bribe them with a bread roll or milk drink or whatever!   :-[
Jo

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
« Reply #1841 on: December 11, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »
I want to join the challenge! It's $100 food only, right? And the daily coffee is hopefully excluded?

I went waaaay over my $150/weekly groceries spend last week because I was stocking up on various pantry items. But I think this week will have enough to stay within $100.

Love online groceries--I don't have to deal with a cranky toddler and impatient husband.

We pick up most veggies from a local farmers outlet and we try doing organic as much as possible. Good thing is we don't eat meat so we have some $$$ to spare on organic and fresh veggies.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:31 pm »
Jo, do ww email you free delivery codes from time to time?

I started an order last week for our 2 weeks away & keep addng to it.

Welcome to the challenge, a little hard in Dec but Jan we should all be able to stick to budget :)

The 2 secrets are look what you  have in your pantry, fridge & freezer & menu plan :)

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: December 11, 2012, 10:55:16 pm »
Yes, I get emailed codes sometimes, but also googled and found a few on various discussion boards.  Some only worked in certain areas, or had expired, but definitely had a few weeks of discounts from  that - some even free delivery, plus $5 off the order.  The big Xmas shop was 10% off all fresh food - that was a good one! 

This week's promo is just bonus loyalty points, so no big money saver, but I do get enough points for a $15-$30 voucher every 3 months.  It all adds up I guess.

The one thing we don't get online  that we would get in store is petrol discount vouchers.  :( 
Jo

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: December 11, 2012, 11:49:33 pm »
Will look out for free delivery.

I have just done a huge $300 order for next week. Everything from garbage bags, soap etc to take away & food for the pantry & to take away. Will have to work out whats food budget & not.

I should only need to buy fresh items when we are away. I prefer to take as much with especially this time of the year, I dont want to be fighting the crowds in the shops >:( awful. Wil get my aussie farmers  fruit & veg & milk order the day before we leave :)