Author Topic: Stretching the Easiyo yogurt sachets  (Read 37019 times)

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
Re: Stretching the Easiyo yogurt sachets
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 11:24:04 am »
Love this tip, I stopped buying easy yo because it was expensive

A BIG THANKYOU can't wait to try

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 03:02:39 am »
how do you store the unused powder from the sachet?  I've read that once the sachet is open it ruins the cultures.  I tried it once and closed it off tight and also put it in an airtight container but when I used it it was no good.

I do always use 3 tablespoons of my previous batch to start the new batch though and haven't bought an easiyo sachet in ages.

I also bought strawberry essence and put a few teaspoons of that in if I want a strawberry flavour.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 05:02:09 am »
I vacuum seal the unused portion. Great tip about the strawberry essence. I'll have to give that a go.

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 08:52:33 am »
I vacuum seal the unused portion. Great tip about the strawberry essence. I'll have to give that a go.

ah, well that explains it why yours works!  Unfortunately I don't have a vacuum seal.  But something for others to keep in mind when trying to store an opened easiyo sachet.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:13 am »
This is very interesting reading on the Cheeselinks site about using a subculture. Its why I decided to buy a starter.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:48:03 pm by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 09:49:40 am »
The place where i first got the idea from (can't remember where but I think it was a baby website - belly belly perhaps?), they said that as long as you make sure to wrap it up really well it shouldn't kill the starter.  I didn't have the vacuum seal when I first started doing it and I had no problems either.  I wonder if it would help to freeze the unused sachet in portion sizes??? 

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 11:34:23 am »
May I just ask what the benefits of making yoghurt in this Easiyo thing are? Why not just use TM?

Sorry if I'm a bit slow!!! :-))

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 11:57:56 am »
I find it easier, quicker and guaranteed to work. I've tried two different TMX yogurts and neither worked plus I had to heat milk, wait for milk to reach certain temps etc, etc. My first did have a slight taste of  tikka curry paste too! With the Easiyo it takes me the amount of time to boil the kettle to fill the flask and however long it takes to put some powder in the container and shake it with some cold water from the tap!

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43:08 pm »
[url-http://cheeselinks.com.au/faqyoghurt.html]This [/url]is very interesting reading on the Cheeselinks site about using a subculture. Its why I decided to buy a starter.

Hmmm, interesting reading.  I can't remember the last time I bought a sachet and have just been using the culture from my previous batch of yoghurt.  I've been doing this for quite a while and I have had no problem with the consistency of my yoghurt.  But I never considered the thought that the good bacteria in it possibly does not exist anymore.  But if they didn't exist, then wouldn't my yoghurt be the wrong texture?

Amy, I already had an easiyo before I had my tmx, but from what I've read and from what my Mum has trialled with hers, the tmx yoghurt can be a bit hit and miss. 

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 01:12:05 pm »
Amy, I already had an easiyo before I had my tmx, but from what I've read and from what my Mum has trialled with hers, the tmx yoghurt can be a bit hit and miss. 

I thought that might be the case for a few people AliRo, I think I must be one of the very few people who hardly knows anything about the Easiyo :-)) The TM might be more hit and miss, but at least I know exactly what I am putting in it. I am a bit suspicious of these Easiyo sachets. Do you know what exactly is in them?

I think I must just have got lucky with my first batch of TM yoghurt. It came out perfectly for me :D

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 01:53:11 am »
The TM might be more hit and miss, but at least I know exactly what I am putting in it. I am a bit suspicious of these Easiyo sachets. Do you know what exactly is in them?

I don't actually use the easiyo sachets.  I just use a few tablespoons of yoghurt from my previous batch, 1 1/3 cups milk powder, 1/4 sugar (you could omit this, but we like ours a bit sweet), and a couple of teaspoons vanilla extract.  Then top up with water, shake well, and put in the thermos for 10-12 hours.  Easy peasy!

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 02:38:20 am »
Ahhh, I see. Thanks AliRo :) It certainly does sound very easy!

Are the Easiyo things expensive? Do you think it would be worth me getting one? I eat a lot of yoghurt... :-))

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 04:05:16 am »
about $20 from the supermarket Amy
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 04:23:05 am »
Are the Easiyo things expensive? Do you think it would be worth me getting one? I eat a lot of yoghurt... :-))

About $20. Sometimes I spot them on special at the supermarket or Big W for $15.  I originally bought mine for 2 reasons.  One was that I knew exactly what was going into my yoghurt in terms of sugar.  And two was because of the cost.  The more expensive tubs of yoghurt are about $6-7 per litre.  A packet of milk powder is about $5 and will get you quite a few litres of yoghurt.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 08:26:03 am »
Thanks girls :-*

I will have a look in Woolworths tomorrow ;D