Author Topic: Any Tassie Thermomix Co-ops?  (Read 7428 times)

Offline Geotto

• View Profile
Any Tassie Thermomix Co-ops?
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:52:09 am »
Hi guys,
I'm just wondering if there are any thermomixers involved in Co-ops down here in Tassie (Launceston)? I am possibly going to start one (as suggested by Jo - quirkycooking), if there aren't any here.

Thanks guys
Emmy

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Any Tassie Thermomix Co-ops?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 07:47:28 am »
Hi Emmy and welcome to the forum. I hope you drop in some more.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:26:36 pm »
Emmy there are some Tasmanian TMX owners on this forum and I'm sure they will respond to your question in due course.
Welcome, thanks for joining us.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 01:36:19 pm »
Pm Chelsea she hasn't been around much lately but she orders direc through a supplier local in Tasmania. She may be able to help you.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:04:58 pm »
welcome to the forum Geotto  :)
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Geotto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:58:47 pm »
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies! I have found of a co-op in Hobart. Their prices though are still a little high for me (example having to pay over $23/kg for almonds eeek) and then I would still have to drive 2hrs to pick it all up.
Thanks megan...I will pm her and find out some more details!

Will keep you all posted so that others have the information as well.

Cheers emmy

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:22:00 pm »
Hi Geotto, I, in Tassie as well. But I do find the prices for those kind of think higher than what I can buy them at the supermarket. I have a large family and tend to stick to cheaper as much as possible. I do buy some items in bulk but only if they work out cheaper than the supermarkets. Let us know if you find any good prices in bulk as I would be interested to find out more.

Mandi
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 11:38:30 pm »
I thought I heard somewhere there was something like that (but not specific to Thermomix) operating in Deloraine - would be much closer than driving to Hobart.  Sorry I do not have specifics to hand.  It was recommended to me for sourcing Rapadura Sugar and you can order online and they deliver.  I may be confused, but others hopefully will tease out the details of my cobwebs.   ???
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 11:40:12 pm by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Geotto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:53:17 am »
Hi guys,

Cecilia - on Jo's facebook page she has listed for us 2:
1.Hobart Organic Co-op located in the back of the Resistance Centre, Hobart
2.Help Yourself, Devonport: 90c Oldaker St, Devonport, 9:30 - 5:30 Mon - Fri, 9:30 - 12:30 Sat
Not sure if you are thinking of devonport? But if there are more hiding, i would love to know (thanks for your reply)

Mandi -  Yes i know what you mean! We are a single income family and we save where we can, thats why we are turning to Co-op's because in principal it should be cheaper so I got a bit of a surprise when i found out how much some of there things are. Although there is a supplier here that isn't that cheap so maybe they have sourced locally? not sure. But if I can gather enough troupers and put in a bulk order we can get Insecticide free almonds (just for an example) for $10.61/kg (not including shipping) so it's worth doing i think! Quirky Cooking said they order every 4-6 months and that would be my aim, maybe start out every 6 months and see how that goes? not sure yet (thanks for your reply)

Anyway...I've put the word out to my friends and another friend is posting it on facebook to get the word out, maybe we can get quite a few to make it worth the effort!

Thanks everyone.....
Emmy

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 11:06:55 am »
I will be interested to find out some more . Please feel free to send me a PM any time.
I love to see more Tassie TM owners on here. Hopefully one day we can organize a get together here in Tas.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 09:27:37 am »
I am a Tassie thermomixer and would be interested in a get together.  I am Devonport area and would be happy to pack thermie in it's travel bag and head to Launceston.

Lean and Green was in Ulverstone up until last week, it is now moving to Turners Beach and I am sure, will continue to have a great range of raw things - nuts, quoina, spices, flours, etc

The Burnie Health Food Shop stock all sorts of goodies and the owner is an avid thermomixer!!!

Lucas Trading Company in Albert Road, Moonah are fantastic - they supply lots of restaurants but sell direct to the public as well (an can arrange deliveries).

Offline mumof2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 03:53:37 am »
I'd be really interested if anything gets up and running, or if anyone knows of anything else.  I'm in hobart.  I've found that the cheapest is Bio Distributors - online - in Sheffield.  Eg, their Rapadura is around $30 for a 5kg bag, and here in Hobart at City Organics or Eumarrah it is $10kg!!!!!  Anyway, if anyone has any furter ideas or info, then I guess they'll post here.  Chees!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 04:06:23 am »
I also buy from Biodistributors and often get them to deliver straight to my parents house as they live in Sheffield.  They are lovely people and their company is amazing.

I am in Forth and would love to get together at some stage.  Is anyone else going to Fee's advanced thermomix class this weekend in Burnie?  The menu sounds awesome and I can't wait.

Offline mumof2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 09:34:53 pm »
After the discussion here, I went off and did some further investigating.  Though not an actual Thermie owners co-op, there is a co-op, combined with a community vegie garden, which operates in Sandy Bay - on the University campus.  It is called Source Wholefoods:

https://www.sourcewholefoods.org.au/

We went for a visit yesterday, and although a smallish operation, it is FANTASTIC.  They have all of the wholegrains that I was after, spelt etc, and rapadura sugar is $6.60kg.  That is the members price, and I signed up as a member which costs $20 per year, and gives a 20% discount on everything.  As it is a community co-op, they rely on volunteers, so as part of the membership they askl you to comit to a couple of hours volunteering every 2 months -so not a big ask for the benefits.  They stock all organic fresh produce, sourced locally where possible.  The spelt grain and quinoa that I purchased is grown here in Tassie - which makes it even better.  Their organic bananas were cheaper than regular bananas from the "stupimarkets"  You are able to pick your vegies fresh from the garden as well. 

I think this is a good option, as you are able to go and purchase what you want/need when you want to, not having to do a bulk order a couple of times a year.

Having a Thermie co-op specifically would be great, but in the meantime, this place is fantastic, and waaaaay cheaper than for example Eumaragh or RAW (eg Rapadura at $6.60kg at the co-op and $9.95kg at Eumaragh)

Anyway, hope that helps some Taswegians!!!!!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:12 am »
that sounds fantastic mumof2, would love to have something similar nearby