Author Topic: Sticky toffee sauce from the UK F&E cooking book  (Read 11414 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Sticky toffee sauce from the UK F&E cooking book
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:20:58 pm »
As promised here is the recipe for toffee/caramel sauce I was talking about. I used a combo of honey and golden syrup as I ran out of GS when I was making this recipe. I halved it and we used it as a base on pizzas. If you use it for a sweet pizza less is more as if it runs off the pizza base it will burn and stick.

This is exactly as it reads from the book

Sticky toffee sauce

This sticky toffee sauce is excellent and much easier to make in a Thermomix than in a saucepan.

Makes about 450g

120g unsalted butter, roughly diced
70g soft brown sugar
50g granulated sugar
150g golden syrup
80g milk
few drops of vanilla extract

1 Weigh butter, sugars and syrup into the TM bowl and cook 5min 80 speed 1 1/2
2 add the milk and vanilla. Cook 3mins 100 speed 2. Pour into a jug and leave to cool completely. It will thicken as it cools

Serving suggestions :
Inspired by a Nigel Slater idea, Sarah WIlliams siggest that you pour this sticky toffee sauce over slices of ginger cake in an oven proof dish. Bake 20mins or so until the sauce is bubbling.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:23:02 pm by Meagan »
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky toffee sauce from the UK F&E cooking book
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:42:03 am »
Thanks Meagan, I can almost taste it. ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:02:07 am »
Probably a good idea to add that we used it as a base for sweet pizzas and topped with banana and macadamia nuts and raw sugar sprinkled on top (served with vanilla icecream *drool*) and also did an apple one too (not such a hit). My preference was the banana and macadamia nut ones  :-*

Also as the recipe states it thickens when cool. We used it warm as it was a spur of the moment thing ;)

Offline willmac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:18:24 pm »
Thanks so much Meagan. Can't wait to try it.

Kay

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:04:24 am »
Meagan, can you provide a bit more detail on how you mde the pizza? I've tried making sweet pizzas before and the topping's seem to burn before the base is cooked. Do you partially cook the base first? Do you just use a normal pizza base recipe/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:20:34 am »
Wonder hi  :) With these particular pizzas they were cooked in a wood fire pizza oven (not at my house unfortunately, at a holiday home we were at) regular pizza base (out of the EDC) I like my bases really thin and crispy so I roll them out until they are really thin but you can still manipulate them onto a paddle or stone to cook. I always flour the base quite well before I add the topping. Spread the toffee sauce onto it thinly but not right to the edge lay slices of fruit sprinkle with nuts sugar cinnamon ( whatever takes your fancy) then cook. At home we cook on a pizza stone in a hooded BBQ which works really well. Although I haven't done the sweet ones with that method yet.

Method - Put the stone on the grill and crank up the BBQ to high on all 4 burners with the lid down. Wait until the temp dial is so hot it is past the highest temp. Turn off the grill burners but keep the plate ones going at high. Lift lid and slide your pizza off the pizza peel onto the stone quickly shut the lid and it will cook really quickly. We turn the  pizzas after a minute or two so that it cooks evenly.

Hope that helps

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 03:21:39 am »
I think you should put this as a separate recipe in the desserts section Meagan.  Sounds so yummy, but may get lost here.  :)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:51:25 pm »
Will do Chelsea  ;) I might leave it until we do pizzas next so I can add photos!  ;D Might do some Sunday night.....

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:00 pm »
I often pre-bake pizzas on a regular sheet pan but covered with a sheet of foil so the bottom will bake but without browning the top.

You can then add the toppings that need only brief cooking, or a quick run under the broiler to finish. 

I do have a pizza oven but sweet stuff with lots of sugar burns too quickly at the higher temps in that oven. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 01:40:35 am »
Wonder,  I have used a similar technique to Andie - like blind baking pastry crusts with beans on the paper for the first 5-10 minutes depending on what goes on top.

Also, consider the schicciata type, more foccacia, with fruit in and on the dough.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.