Author Topic: Bread not working out  (Read 24604 times)

Offline Quirk

• View Profile
Bread not working out
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:05:40 am »
Hi there
I have tried the basic bread recipe and noticed that although it rises beautifully at first, when I then punch it down and put it in the bread tin, it ends up sinking and the bread is very heavy.

I have tried letting it rise the second time in the bread tin, before putting it in the oven and the result is the same.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or, do you have a fool proof bread recipe that creates a nice big loaf for sandwiches? Preferably using the whole wheat?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Bread not working out
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:29:26 am »
I know it may be a long read but have a look through this thread. The thing that I found in the beginning when first making bread - is just keep trying! Don't give up - Even flops are yummy and if not, bread crumbs for the freezer comes in handy for other dishes!  ;) http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2035.0

Offline Quirk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:31:50 am »
Funny stuff, I just finished trawling though that thread! Have printed two of the recipes off to try.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:29 am »
Or have a look at the recipes in the bread thread of this forum.  There has been considerable success with the recipes contributed by Isi.  Many of us (including myself) has ditched the basic bread recipe for one of Isi's recipes which appeals to us.

So find one you like the look and sound of and try that.  Most are with white, but I just replace with whole wheat.  It does make a denser loaf though.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Quirk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:42:31 am »
Tanks, I have looked at all of the recipes but was put off a bit by the fact they were all for white bread. So, do I just replace weight for weight? So, 100g less of white flour for 100g of wheat?

Thanks again :) My eyes and brain are hurting after looking through so many recipes!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:39:51 am »
O.K Quirk,  You have 2 issues, 1 with the recipe in the EDC book,  and the 2nd with substituting wholemeal flour for the white flour.  First problem,.....      the recipe in the EDC book needs a good second rise to produce a good loaf, IT NEEDS TO DOUBLE.  This can take up to 1  1/2 hours , depending on the heat of your room.  22 to 25 degrees is best and will take 35 to 45 mins at this temp.  You can then cook it in a hot oven or cold start oven.
Second problem,......You can replace the white flour with wholemeal flour but,  you will get a more solid loaf,  will need to add a little more water,  and I would add a little more yeast....It will also take A LOT LONGER TO RISE.   
The problems that you are having are not unique to you but most people who work  with whole grain flour,  Don't give up,  bread making is a most enjoyable activity and brings out the creative nature of us cooks.  If you continue to have problems ,  just ask for help and the good people on this forum will help.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:45:48 pm »
Thanks Chookie! That's good advice - even as consultants we're not taught that (but then I guess we'd be enrolled as chefs!).  :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:25:37 pm »
Chookie ahs said what I was going to say - let it really rise.  Consultants have been told they need to get it in the oven quickly to impress clients - but I prefer to let it slowly rise - until double

The other thing is when you punch it down - pop it bacj in the TMX for another 1 minute knead - it helps.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 12:29:02 am »
Thermomixer,  thanks for the comments.   I tried leaving the EDC bread in the bowl,  like isi does with some of her bread,  but it didn't rise as well.  Also,  I have found that the bread left in the bowl,  if covered with a towel  while proving,  rises better.  I have been giving the EDC bread a good knead following the 1st. rise.  It makes a very good loaf,  provided it has that full 2nd. rise.  Some of the Consultants have found that it is better to make rolls  and place them in a hot oven.  I think this is very sensible.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:42:18 am »
I love having chookie on the forum to help us with bread.  We should collate Chookies advice and make a bread trouble shooting thread in the tips section.  Oh to have the time!!!  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 03:49:53 am »
You just snuck your post in before mine Chelsea! I was going to say, check out Chelsea's post about soaking flours and grains to make a lighter loaf if using whole grains or wholemeal flour!

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 05:18:24 am »
Yes Chookie - rolls or even foccacia so it doesn't need as long to rise - then they can go in almost straight away.  But not a loaf - please.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 05:20:38 am »
Sounds like wholemeal bread has quite a few tricks...Does anyone have a good recipe?  I've been just swapping the flours, and thought that's what it should be like.  But if I can improve it, that would be great.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:33:02 am »
I use only 5 g/ sometimes 10 g  fresh yeast or sourdough and give the dough lots of time, between 4 and 10 hours. I'm going to post some whole grain recipes asap Cathy.
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 06:09:36 am »
Cathy and Quirk,  you might like to try Laucke wholemeal flour,  (or premix as is stated on the packet).   It is reliable and produces a good loaf.  It also has lots of information on the 5 k.  bag.   The pre mix has no preservatives.