Author Topic: hi - needing some reassurance!  (Read 23664 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: hi - needing some reassurance!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 06:23:43 am »
I'll just add, dont feel like you have to cook in it all day every day, remember you will have your Thermomix for life!!  Mine has only been used this week for cooking rice as Ive been making sushi for my lunches
Dont feel daunted by what some of the amazing people on this forum cook, you can do that if you want but you dont have to, either way you will love your machine and you know its always there for you for when you do want to get adventurous
In the meantime just enjoy the sorbets, rissottos, soups, sauces and get to love your machine first!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:23:12 pm »
Hi there!
I have lost 14 kilos since last July! Slow gradual weight loss all thanks to my Themie!  2 words sum it up! Healthy & fun!You won't regret it! We promise!  ;) ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 07:57:05 am »
Thanks Baf, I think you are so right! Maybe just concentrate on the basics before i think i have to get carried away with the big stuff. I have also made a mistake reading about peoples cooking problems and that has put me into a little panic mode but i know i will just have to sit tight and experiment like everyone else did!

Congrats Bron on your weight loss! I too have lost weight (11kg) since last July. I actually lost mine in roughly 3 mths, but i am pleased with myself that i have managed to keep it off. (thats the hard part!) Despite people telling me how great i look now, i would still like to drop another 5 or 6 kg and bust through the plateau then i would be really happy. But if i stay where i am and not gain, i will be happy also. I dropped my weight doing the body trim system which is reducing or dropping the carbs in the diet. So i guess that's why i am a little concerned about "using" my Thermy. My consultant has reassured me she will help me work it out to suit what I eat. (salad, salad and MORE salad) oh and MEAT!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 11:47:03 am »
Yes starting out slow is good advice.  When I bought mine a year ago I started just making main meals.  I was so pleased when I had 5 or 6 main meal recipes that I really liked to make and making dinner with toddlers at my feet was so much easier.

I have put on at least 5kgs since I picked up my thermie (we don't have scales thankfully).  Puddings and desserts are my weakness!!  I have started walking each day before my boys wake up (yawn) and have cut out puddings (sniff sniff).  Thankfully the weight is starting to shed and I will hopefully be back to normal by winter.  :)

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 04:51:29 am »
Chelsea, i don't want to hear about weight gains! ;D That is my main concern. I am sure there is lots to make but not too many yummy things when i am trying to LOSE weight. Oh well will save the yummy recipes for once  week only! Hopefully Thermy will be here this time next week! :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 07:34:08 am »
Mum23 it is easy to gain weight with a TMX, that can't be denied. I lost 30kg about 2 or 3 years ago and I have not gained it back. I have had the TMX for 14 months. I put on 1 kg at Christmas and am still battling to lose that, but I will. Just don't pig out on things. I taste them and then let everyone else eat them. DH has lost 10kg since last October . I think the best thing about the TMX is no preservatives. We now find if we eat certain prreservatives we get all itchy. :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 10:18:46 am »
Hey Thanks Cookie, that is a great achievement to lose that amount of weight, but the biggest achievment is keeping it off(twice as hard with a thx!) Yes that is a good idea, a small taste can't hurt, DH trying to lose weight at the moment so i shouldn't be letting him pig out like i normally would!
I have checked over the dessert recipes and my mouth just drools. Can't wait til he gets here! (Thermy)
I have noticed there are a few low carbers so hopefully when i get cooking i will be able to meet and swap ideas with them.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:01 am »
i think it will be great if we could have a low carb section!!

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 02:07:01 pm »
You won't regret it I can assure you.  My wife says it's like having kids: First of all comes the "should we, shouldn't we?" (can we do it/afford it etc.go to a demo) stage, then comes "OK, let's go for it" (the fun bit  ;D) closely (hopefully) followed by "Oh £$%^, we did it" :-[ (little blue line appears/TMX ordered, did we do the right thing). Now comes the anticipation, lots of reading, waiting for the new arrival until finally the great day arrives :-* (oh the pain of seeing ones bank balance sadly depleted  :o). Early days - getting to know this new "person" in your life, the loud noises (TMX can make a LOT of noise) and cleaning up the mess (TMX can make a LOT of mess, if you forget to use the nappy [sorry, MC!]). After a further period of feeding it lots of different things comes increasing confidence, exploring new things and ideas together and the great pleasure of seeing all your efforts rewarded by smiles around the dinner table. What a great life!!  ;D  ENJOY.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 07:45:29 am »
What a fantastic analogy and oh so very true. Well done Rogizoja.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:51 am »
Chelsea, i don't want to hear about weight gains! ;D That is my main concern. I am sure there is lots to make but not too many yummy things when i am trying to LOSE weight. Oh well will save the yummy recipes for once  week only! Hopefully Thermy will be here this time next week! :)

LOL!!!  It really does depend on what you cook and having a TMX can certainly help you loose weight if you cook the right things.  For desserts I would stick to icecreams made from frozen yogurt cubes and frozen fruit chunks and sorbets with the sugar content cut right down.  For mains there are lot's of healthy recipes right here on the forum and I also find Jo's Quirky Cooking blog very helpful when sourcing healthy recipes.

Just remember that there are lot's of ways to measure good health and your TMX can be beneficial in many ways. We have been 95% preservative free for almost a year (making almost everything from scratch in Thermie) and in that time we have seen huge changes in our health - particularly in our kids.  Our eldest son has struggled with splitting nails, dry brittle hair, eczema and asthma since we united with him in Ethiopia a couple of years ago. Now his nails are strong and his hair is healthy and shiny (without changing shampoos  ;)). His eczema and asthma are now nonexistent. Our eldest son hasn't had a single illness all year (not even a little cold) and our youngest son has had one sniffle that lasted two days and an upset tummy that lasted for one morning.  Perhaps some of these changes are coincidental, but I'm sure our kids are benefitting hugely from having a chemical free diet. I had better hop off my soapbox now ;).

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 04:36:25 am »
Thanks Rogizoja your analogy is hilarious :D I hope my Thermy doesn't carry on like my kids do sometimes! They can give me alot of grief some days i do hope Thermy is a little more well behaved!
Chelsea that's great your kids are doing so well with the changes to their diet. I don't think that i will be able to get that good (with no additives) in the diet, i am a little slack when it comes to such discipline and go for convenience and unfortunatley give in to whatever brings peace and harmony. I would like to start by not having to buy the kids "snacks" from the supermarket and do more home baking, which i can do wo a thmx but i am hoping that thmx gives me the motivation to do it more. My kids are extremely fussy and one of them is a junk food addict. I struggle for him to have fruit as a snack instead of "biscuits" in the end for the peace he gets his own way. He is also terrible at dinner time and very rarely will eat what i give him, hence he has nothing or a sandwhich and then has to watch his brother have icecream for dessert!
Yes i would like to improve my parenting skills :-[
Anyway still waiting desperately for thermy to arrive, i really shouldn't be on this forum cos it's driving me nuts not being able to do anything yet! I am hosting a bodyshop party on Sat morning and would love to be able to "whip" something up in Thermy to show off to the girls (they all came to my demo), but i will probably be having to use the old beaters. (hopefully for the last time!)

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 10:55:40 am »
I'm sure your parenting is just fine  :).  Don't beat yourself up about it.  If you're not happy with things I would consider just changing one little thing at a time (like swapping some bought bickies for homemade ones etc) and then you and the kids won't get too overwhelmed.

We are all do things in our own way and I guess just have to find what works for us.  I sometimes think I am super mean when I read the way other Mum's do things on the forum here.  An example is that I only ever cook one thing for dinner and it is a "take it or leave it" policy, but they go to bed hungry if they choose to leave it (and possibly expect to see it reheated for lunch the next day so that it is not wasted).  Some people would think that is terrible (a result of me spending too much time in Ethiopia where food is precious I'm sure), but it works for us.  :)

Offline mum23

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 11:10:35 am »
Hi Chelsea, yes i agree everyone is different. I tried that approach last week, one option only or nothing and of course had nothing! My aunty suggested i try offering a jam sandwhich if he doesn't want the dinner i cook, it worked on one her kids when they were little, so i gave that ago and of course he chose the sandwhich!
I guess it is such a big thing to change to after so many years of shopping/cooking and eating like we do, so baby steps will be the way to go and maybe introduce new things slowly. I figure if they are going to eat bad stuff, it's better of home made isn't it??
Wow Ethiopia would of been some life experience!! CAn i ask how long you were there and what for? Don't mean to be nosy, and only aswer if you want to tell me.

Cheers

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 11:35:44 am »
No it is fine. Our eldest son is Ethiopian born so we are an Oziopian family and ET is our second home.  We have had two trips over so far and our next is planned for when I return to work and our youngest son settles a little (he is a VERY busy toddler).  Our first trip we did before we were allocated our son and we worked our way around Northern ET and then returned to Addis and spent some time with some sick little tots in a HIV orphanage (one of the most humbling and beautiful experiences of my life).  Our second trip we did when we united with our son and this was a longer stay in a guest house with an Ethiopian family. It was very important that we bonded with our son in ET with all of the familiar sounds, tastes and smells around so we bunked down together there.  Oh this makes me homesick for Ethiopia again!  :'(  :)