Author Topic: Vegetable Stock Concentrate  (Read 70680 times)

Offline auds

• View Profile
Re: Vegetable Stock Concentrate
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 07:25:53 am »
I just got my TM today and planning on doing this as my first thing  ;D

We dont like celery and I dont have any - would it still work ok without it or could I use something else?

thanks

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 07:29:45 am »
For future reference Auds, you won't know the celery is even in there - it is great to use as it is so cheap. In the mean time you can replace it with just about any vegetable that needs using up in your fridge. I often throw some extra parsley in to give it a greener look if I am not using the full amount of celery.

If you use hard veg (e.g. carrots) to make it up you made need to add about 10-20g of water to make up for the moisture content that is in celery as the recipe doesn't call for any extra liquid other than a tablespoon of oil.

Hope this helps you, Let us know if you have any other questions  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 07:38:44 am »
auds I too do not like celery, especially cooked. I always add it to my vegetable stock concentrate and any other recipes that call for it. I generally add before any other vegetables in recipes and chop it until it is really fine before adding anything else to be cooked. I have tried the VSC and other recipes without and it really does seem to make a difference. All this from someone who detests the stuff....  ;D ;D

BTW you definitely can't tell it's in the VSC (especially once it's added to a recipe). I would only leave it out if it's for allergy or similar reasons - but that's just my personal opinion. Hope this helps.  :D

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 08:09:13 am »
Ok will give it a whirl with the celery.  Ummm I should have also mentioned (just reread the ingredients) that hubby hates mushrooms as well.  Is this the same as the celery - you wont even taste it?

thanks all

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 11:09:03 pm »
Not in the vegetable stock concentrate. There doesn't seem to be any one flavour that comes through. Mind you, if you ate it straight you probably could. Once you add to recipes you wouldn't know what you added. As faffa said, you can just use any vegetables that need using up.

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 05:58:43 am »
I am in the middle of cooking this and there is a LOT of steam coming out of the basket is that right?  :o

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 07:08:18 am »
Auds, when using the varoma function there is always a lot of steam.  By now your vegie stock concentrate will  be finished and you will see that all is OK.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 08:59:06 am »
well its finished now (although I forgot the bay leaf) and the stock seems ok although pretty salty.

However it has stuck to the bottom of the jug and I cant get it off!!  Its not burnt just stuck.  Its been soaking for 2 hours and I have been scrubbing it every 20 mins.

Not happy if this is what happens every time you cook with it  :(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 10:49:33 am »
Yes the stock is salty auds - that's why it lasts so long in the fridge.  You can freeze it too and it will remain soft because of the salt.  When using it, don't add any salt until the end and always taste the dish before adding any extra.

I don't remember having the sticking problem but you could try this tip.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 11:06:19 am »
after making VSC, i like to either make soup or bread so as not to waste the residual concentrate; don't add any salt to the soup or bread. in the case of the VSC sticking to the bottom of the bowl, i'd make soup and see if it loosens the stuff on the bottom.

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 12:36:22 am »
I did do exactly what the recipe said so if it was too hot I dont know - it said varoma temp which I did.  I also put a little extra wine in so there was a bit more liquid than stated (heavy handed and I couldnt take it back out lol).

The tip with the bicarb sounds good I will try that next time.  Hmmm what to try today  ;D

Thanks all

Offline Stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 07:02:42 am »
I had to look up this recipe because I'm out of stock paste and I'm writing a shopping list at work ;)  A tip that might come in handy for some is that I  generally use this recipe but I cut down the salt a bit and add some dulse flakes - I bought a whole bag to make Tenina's umami paste and i's a good way to use some of it - it adds a nice flavour  :) 

I have a lone beetroot in the fridge that needs using up so I'm thinking of adding it just to see what happens... surely it can't hurt!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 07:33:32 am »
I'm sure it won't  hurt at all. Your stock will have a nice red tinge.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 05:37:24 am »
I add whatever left over veges i have to use up, always works out. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 09:23:28 am »
Me too I save the big broccoli stalks too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/