Author Topic: stove top v/s thermomix  (Read 7747 times)

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
stove top v/s thermomix
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:31:07 am »
I purchased a 10Kg box of sauce tomatoes on Friday, ready to make my yearly tomato chutney, then thought I may do it in the thermomix, thereby led to my trying to convert the recipe. I have made 3 lots of the converted recipe, and they all taste good, even DH says so, but the dilemma is   Do you spend 1 1/2 hrs making one big lot of chutney or lots of little lots.  Little lots are good if you only get small amounts of tomatoes at a time, but here in South Australia at this time of year you can buy good quality sauce tomatoes for $10, a 10kg box. I also purchased 10 kg of BBQ onions for  $3.99 (these onions were in really good condition, sometimes cheap onions mean lot of rubbish in the bin when peeling them) Here in South Australia, we can also purchase a product called EZY-SAUCE, (in the sauce section of Woolworth's and Cole's) it contains 90% of all the spices you need in a vinegar base, and it is the Tom Chutney recipe on this bottle that I have used for the last 4 yrs, and today adapted for the TMX.Monica

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: stove top v/s thermomix
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:04:53 am »
I think it would be easier to do one big boil up than lots of little ones in the TM when you have 10 KG of tomatoes. I usually do the same thing as you and use the ezy-sauce instead of the vinegar and I love the spiciness of ezy-sauce (although there is probably extra additives and preservatives that I don't want to know about) I'm just waiting fr my 10kg box from the veggie man so I can do a big cook up.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:06:52 pm »
I also bought a box of toms. For sauce.  I made the sauce in the TMX but it took me 2 days.  the good thing about the TMX is that while it is cooking you can leave the machine run and do other things.  It also didn't catch or burn.  the biggest disadvantage is that I had the mess around for 2 days.  I also like to use my own spice mix and use Apple cider vin.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:26:44 pm »
i would do them on the stove, 1 1/2 hours is better than 2 days  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:19:04 pm »
I think it really depends.  I generally do one big batch on the stove, but sometimes I split it into smaller batches in the tmx. When ive done that it was because I wasn't in a position to spend 1.5 hours in the kitchen (eg when I've got a little one who needs my attention) or when I wanted to experiment with different tweaks, such as different kinds of vinegar, etc.

So I would say its very much a personal preference / situation thing. Plus of course (not something that's usually a problem in the UK) if its too hot to stand over the stove the tmx would solve that problem.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »
This year I plan to make my relish and chutney on the stove top as that is how I have always made them but all the chopping is going to be in the TMX. 

Sharon
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »
Hi I'm a newbie. Would love to know where you can buy tomatoes so cheaply. Is this just a SA thing? Would these tomatoes be good for making pasta sauce too!?

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »
I also can get them for $10 for 10kg in Tas. Best place to ask is your local veggie store. They are called sauce tomatoes so are ideal for relish, sauce etc.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:54:38 pm »
hi Mrs Nesbit i am in sydney and i go (DH goes)to the markets i think last year  (2010)a box was $2.00

any very ripe tomatoes make a great sauce, my MIL gave me a case of 12 bottles a few weeks ago that she made in 2005  ;D

pop over to 'Introduce Yourself' on the home page and tell us a bit about yourself  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:28:07 pm »
Thanks guys I'm in Vic. Will have to check out the markets I think!

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:24:05 am »
Hi Mrs Nesbit,  Need to check the condition of the Tomatoes, as when you get sauce tom in bulk, they usually need to be used fairly quickly, as they are very ripe, and sometimes the ones on the bottom start to go off before you notice, so check out the tom at the bottom of the box before you buy it.  Here in SA when tom are in season, most greengrocers sell boxes of sauce tom, so if not close to markets try them out, but have never seen them as cheap as $2.00 for 10kg. I think next year I will do the chopping in the TMX and the cooking on the stove, like knittercook, and then just deal with small lots (when given to me by friends who grow their own and get an over abundance),  in the TMX as they arrive.

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:39 am »
Thanks pumpkin pie. Great tips. I can't wait to try it!

mcmich

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 04:57:54 am »
Wow, I must look out for bulk sauce tomatoes, I'm in Lake Macquarie and have never seen them but I haven't actually looked.
I've never heard of Ezy Sauce either. Thanks for all the tips.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:24 am »
All I do is ask my local free grocer for overripe tomatoes any time of the year and I can usually get a carton for $10 in the winter and $5 in the summer.

All you have to do is ask. No problem.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.