Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 8017088 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #31875 on: December 07, 2016, 10:42:40 pm »
Good morning all. Normally I do not "celebrate" Christmas at all but this year will be very different. One of our Pod Dwellers is having family visiting. Of course are villas are not large so  to accomodate them all she has booked the community centre for her family meal. I offered to put up one of her visitors so of course I invited myself to her Christmas lunch and then proceeded to invite other orphans from our pod and others around the village so now it is as big as Ben Hur! Well not so big, maybe 15 but 'twill be fun. We are all bringing something. I offered to buy the ham as you know I am not into cooking these days but then I opened z my big  wine soaked mouth and offered to make the custard for another Pod Dwellers pudding! So on to the forum to find the Brandy Custard recipe. Anyone have a special one apart from the usual?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #31876 on: December 07, 2016, 10:56:46 pm »
Hello Gert. A pod Xmas bash sounds fun for all. Well done  8) 8) 8)
What a coincidence! Last night I was looking at a lovely little book I bought at a sale a while back called Simple Christmas Essentials by Donna Hay. It has a recipe for brandy and vanilla custard that looks nice if that's any help.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #31877 on: December 07, 2016, 11:05:12 pm »
Thanks Djinni373. I think I will go with Tenina's as all I have found are basically that one more or less. I say some salted caramel pre made stuff on TV. Maybe it was Coles  brand but I did say I would make it in the Thermomix. The things you say when you are drinking with friends!!!!

Seems easy enough and I can double the recipe in the TMX. Ordering a decent ham up here in Cairns is harder. Can you believe the people in the Barossa won't ship up here for one of their spectacular hams!!  Had to get one from Goondiwindi!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31878 on: December 07, 2016, 11:07:17 pm »
Did you find this thread Gert? http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=442.0  Perhaps do a trial run of the 2 recipes there to see which one you prefer.  If you are going to do anything to help out people for a Christmas lunch, custard was a super choice as we all know here how easy that is with the Thermomix and it will impress the guests no end.  You may have to trial reheating a batch too as I don't think the TMX would be able to make enough in one batch for 15 people.

Have a great time, it's a brilliant idea to have gathered those with nowhere to go and so nice of the people concerned to let you into their family gathering.  The Christmas spirit is alive and well in your village.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #31879 on: December 07, 2016, 11:51:30 pm »
Thanks Judy. Cookies is about the same as Tenina's and no need for a trial as I trust Cookie and Tenina and indeed most here. Anyway I never eat the damn stuff.  If I double the recipe it will be 800 mls. Not enough? Bugger. Maybe one cold and one hot or maybe buy one and make one. Never gunna open my mouth to offer again. Such Stress!!!!!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31880 on: December 08, 2016, 01:15:57 am »
Oh Gert! You could make one custard as a slice of cold custard to put on the Christmas Pud, then hot custard. Brandy butter can be made ages ahead so that may do and if you are a little heavy handed with the brandy it's very nice.

It sounds as though you will all have lots of fun, and that's what life is for. Enjoy the day and the associated frivolities.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #31881 on: December 08, 2016, 03:54:07 am »
sounds great fun Gert, and you don't have to drive, so have a few drinks. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31882 on: December 08, 2016, 12:40:27 pm »
Good to give thermie a work out Gert, sounds like lots of fun.  I do love how you have embraced your new life.  It sounds like there are other like minded people sharing it with you.  Have a wonderful Christmas, big hugs X
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31883 on: December 08, 2016, 03:42:02 pm »
Your posting made me chuckle Gert.Lots of lovely suggestions for you from the girls.Have fun on Christmas Day.

Another damp day here but very mild.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31884 on: December 08, 2016, 10:11:16 pm »
Morning all.
Gert, that post is so YOU. Always most generous and helping people out. I remember the wine you sent to the party we had for CC when she visited.
Cookies suggestion about the custard and the Brandy butter sounds good to me. Also , not everyone likes Xmas Pud.
I just tip a good slug of Brandy into the thick custard TMX recipe. No one complains. 
CC, glad you are feeling well enough to walk.
Judy, thanks for asking MM to fix the add problem and also my Avatar. Issue. Will work on that today.
We are at Cherokee and it is cold.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31885 on: December 08, 2016, 10:51:56 pm »
No problems Chookie, MM is always there to sort out our problems and help out if he can.

Good morning everyone, off out to lunch with my Probus ladies today.  Our weather is still very mild, it makes you wonder when the hot weather will hit and actually stay.  I'd be happy if it stays as it is though.  Enjoy your Friday everyone.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #31886 on: December 08, 2016, 11:19:31 pm »
Brandy butter and custard sound like a plan.  Normally not a fan of Christmas "fun" but falling into line at this "facility! Miss my old life but embracing the new. Gotta keep movin' on in this life cuz you don't get a second chance.

Too hot to walk the dog as his paws might get cooked on the road.

Gert

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #31887 on: December 08, 2016, 11:24:00 pm »
hello all, last  day at school  today  :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31888 on: December 09, 2016, 06:29:04 am »
Judy I'm sure you will be having fun.

Gert, we don't want the poor dogs paws to melt. You have never said a truer word about us not getting 2 chances at life.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31889 on: December 09, 2016, 12:33:06 pm »
After fighting a cough for weeks,then last week feeling really unwell I thought it couldn't get any worse but it did.I awoke this morning feeling terrible.I had a hacking cough and really found it hard walking up the stairs.Time to visit the GP. I've been diagnosed with a chest infection and been given antibiotics for seven days.My energy levels are so low.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.