Author Topic: Ice-cream help please  (Read 6403 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Ice-cream help please
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:57:59 am »
I have recently bought For Food's Sake and Quick Fix in the Thermomix, as well as looking on Tenina's website.  There are some gorgeous ice-cream recipes that I would love to try, but lots of them say to blitz the ice-cream just prior to serving.  I have an ice-cream maker, and usually make the ice-cream mix in the TMX, but churn it in the ice-cream maker, then store it in the freezer in a plastic container.  Would I be able to substitute this method into the other recipes that say to process it in the TMX just before serving? 

And if I did follow the instructions and process it in the TMX before serving, would any leftovers be OK just to freeze in a plastic container for another day?
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ice-cream help please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:47:51 am »
Hi Karen - I have a lovely ice-cream maker so now all my ice-creams mixtures are prepared in the TMX, cooled in the fridge then churned in the ice-cream maker.  I don't re-blitz in the TMX to serve - I just take it out of the fridge for 10 minutes or so to allow it to soften slightly for ease of serving then return the container to the freezer.  Hope this helps.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:29:57 am »
Karen,  i agree with Judy.  However if your recipe is a bit icy you might like to blitz it before serving.   If it is custard based,  it shouldn't need this.  Icecream based on yoghurt might be a bit icy.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:16:11 pm »
I went to Tenina's Thai class recently and she prepared an icecream. I asked her about this and she said just as Judy has said.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 06:57:47 pm »
I do exactly as Judy does, love my ice cream maker & love ice cream :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:21:39 pm »
I did a experiment recently where I made a low fat ice cream. The custard contained only 2 egg yolks and no cream. I doubled the recipe and did half in my ice cream maker (kitchen aid attachment) and half in the TMX. There was no difference.
With full fat ice cream you get a better result using an ice cream machine, though.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:10:10 am »
Thank you all for your advice!  I have been dying to try the gorgeous icecreams in For Foods Sake!  Isn't that book just wonderful!!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:52:42 am »
Certainly is.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:06:54 am »
I went over to your blog MJ and copied the recipe for the Light Vanilla Ice-Cream so will give it a go.  I've recently been doing a really nice vanilla ice-cream but it was so delicious I was eating the whole tubful in a week  :-))

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:10 am »
What recipe were you using for vanilla ice-cream JD?  I bought 2L of pure cream at the farmers market on the weekend, and am on an ice-cream making binge 
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 10:42:03 am »
I used this recipe Karen - it is truly delicious, in fact the best I've done. I've used both the condensed milk recipe she gives and a can of skim condensed milk the next time.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 01:45:18 am »
I did a experiment recently where I made a low fat ice cream. The custard contained only 2 egg yolks and no cream. I doubled the recipe and did half in my ice cream maker (kitchen aid attachment) and half in the TMX. There was no difference.
With full fat ice cream you get a better result using an ice cream machine, though.

I made your recipe last night MJ and had a bowl after breakfast this morning.  Must say I really enjoyed it, not too sweet, not icy - very good really ;D  Like most ice-creams, it sets very hard but I zapped it for a bit then left my serve to soften even more in my bowl.  I didn't have any full cream milk in the house so I used full-cream powdered milk instead.  I'll try the banana version next.  Thanks for sharing - I'll add it to the ice-cream URL links as MJ's Light Vanilla Ice-Cream.