Author Topic: KFC Coating ...... revisited  (Read 197090 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: KFC Coating ...... revisited
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2010, 09:58:20 pm »
Meganjane, glad you liked it.  We had it again for tea last night, I keep testing it to see if it should be spicier. DH. Says that he likes it just as is!!!     If anyone wanted it. More spicy they could reduce the ratio of flour to mix..  In the original instructions from the test kitchen, they suggested finishing off in the oven.  This is probably most suited to large amounts.

I have a few friends who wanted to try the mix but no TMX, so I have put together some simple instructions.  I will post them today as Forum members, who wish to give the mix as Xmas presses can include the instructions in the pack.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2010, 10:48:49 pm »
Good idea Chookie.  It hadn't yet occurred to me that their instructions will be different to ours  :-)) :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

*jo*

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2010, 01:46:01 am »
I am so looking forward to attempting this, just hoping if I spray the pieces once coated and bake in the oven without any frying the results will do your recipe justice :P

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2010, 02:03:41 am »
jo.  I would spray well with rice bran oil, place top down on a wire rack and then spray the other side.  I would turn 1/2 way through cooking.   I think this would work.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2010, 02:34:38 am »
I actually did this the other night.  I sprayed the coated chicken (with olive oil in my case) on both sides and then put it on my roasting rack in my roasting dish.  I found that I had to spray it again about half way through (when I turned the pieces) because it was looking slightly dryish.

However, once I ate it, it probably didn't need it.  The chicken was still deliciously moist (because of the buttermilk I presume).  It was really just for looks that I sprayed it again - gave it a more "fried" look.

DH was very impressed - I don't think we'll be needing to go to KFC anymore to satisfy his need for KFC!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2010, 02:47:26 am »
opi2kenopi,  Thanks for this report.  We won't feel so guilty about 'fried ".   It will still have the flavor.   Thought I might try it with veal chops next.   It is the salt in the 1st mix as well as the buttermilk that holds the moisture.

*jo*

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2010, 03:43:30 am »
Thank you both so much. We don't eat KFC it's been nearly 15yrs since I did and DS has never had it so I am keen to get a similar flavour and crunch with the healthy aspect too...thank you both  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:10 am »
Ooh, I know a couple of friends that would love this for Christmas, I hadn't thought of it.

Meganjane, love the new avatar. Where are you? In a vehicle?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2010, 01:59:15 pm »

Meganjane, love the new avatar. Where are you? In a vehicle?

No, I have a new MacBook and I took a photo of me sitting at the breakfast bar. With the angle being a little different, you can see my ceiling and the top of the lounge windows!
It's a program called Photo Booth. I love it!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2010, 10:13:13 am »
Chookie I can't believe in my time of lurking the threads of this forum I have only recently decided to try this oh so delicious coating. I like others did like the original KFC but it has been so greasy for so long now, we haven't indulged for years. Thank you for the time you have taken in developing the perfect mix.  Further to naming your creation DH suggested Kerrie's Favourite Coating.

Cheers

Robyn - aka johnro
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:29:12 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2010, 10:35:39 am »
 Johnro,  so glad that you like the coating,  The story continues....... The shop that I buy my spices from asked to try the mix.   When I went in yesterday,  they asked for the recipe!!!!. They want to make the mix and sell it.    no offer of compensation or any thing,  so I don't think so.    I don't mind sharing with Forum members as everyone here shares,  but not to a commercial enterprise.    Also like your DH name for the mix.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2010, 11:25:18 am »
some people have an incredible cheek chookie  :( we are very privileged that you have shared the recipe with us, however i hope that no one takes advantage of your generosity and uses it to their gain  ???
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2010, 11:32:56 am »
I can't believe how rude that is of them, Chookie! You offered them your product to try and then they ask for the recipe!! I hope you suggested that the price of the recipe is in the thousands if they'd still like it.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2010, 09:26:17 am »
Does my family love me tonight!!?? But they Love, Love, LOVE you achookwoman - they say, "THANK-YOU VERY MUCH!!" I must share with you a piccy of my KFC feast made from scratch - scratch being one of DS chookies!! LOL  :D ;)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2010, 09:33:15 am »
Opps - didn't attach it!  :-[