Author Topic: What would you take as a homemade......  (Read 4362 times)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
What would you take as a homemade......
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »
We have been invited out to dinner in early June with people we don't really know. We are fairly new to this area and getting to know new people is fun.
 Want to take a homemade baked present as I don't drink wine and we don't want to take a bottle.
I am good at bread and baking and wondered about a tear and share garlic type loaf.

Wondered what you would bake and take?

Or I could try out Thermy with a lemon curd or onion chutney.

Suggestions please.
I have got time to practiceif it is something new.
Thx x

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: What would you take as a homemade......
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:20:45 pm »
Good idea to take something home made, Droverjess.  When I take bread I ring to see that it will be comparable with the meal.  Often they say anything will do, but sometimes say no garlic as someone doesn't like it.  I also find bread sticks easy for the host to deal with.  I then take a hostess gift of a pot of jam or something for the hosts not to be shared at the dinner.  Have fun and I am sure whatever you take will be enjoyed.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:23:53 pm »
Pull apart loafs are good too.
i make a savory one .

Check out quirkyjo's blog.

jam, lemon butter, chutneys sound good too.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 09:29:51 pm »
They are very good ideas above.
Taking a thankyou for the hosts is always nice - jam or lemon butter.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:31:41 am »
I recently made fudge as a present for someone. I made it in TM, used a love-heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out the pieces and then arranged them on a nice tray and wrapped it in cellophane. They loved it :D

I find that making a small sweet treat, or contributing something such as a dessert, is a welcome gesture when going around to another person's house for a meal. That has been my experience anyway :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:34:37 am »
Generally any home made gift is welcomed.  I always take a bottle of wine and last time also made them a pot of caramelized garlic paste and potted cheese from Tenina's For Foods Sake.  Along with the other ideas posted, a batch of cookies, a bottle of berry cordial (EDC) - so many things for you to choose from DJ.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:28:10 am »
Caramelised garlic paste sounds good. Can I google recipe?
Lots of ideas thanks.
Will let u know in due course.

I am going to make hampers for family for Xmas with vanilla essence, fudge , onion marmalade etc.

So if you have time please an I have the  best recipe suggestions for these sort of ideas?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 06:38:36 am »
The garlic paste is in Tenina's For Foods Sake DJ, I have not been able to find it on the net unfortunately.

Here's a thread on Christmas hampers with links to some things but the easiest way to find a recipe is to google asking eg worcestershire sauce thermomix and you will be given to all the links to this recipe or any other that you are looking for.  It may not necessarily be on our forum but it will be made in the TMX and may be on a blog.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 06:42:09 am »
Hi DJ,

I put coconut and chopped glace cherries in my chocolate fudge so it is like Cherry Ripe fudge. Thats always been well received ;)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 08:18:43 am »
Any kind of home made bread is a lovely hostess gift, especially when the people do not do home baking themselves.
Most people view this as a gift that has required a lot of labor.  ;D

My daughter and I were chatting today - Mother's Day here and it is also her birthday so we exchanged good wishes.

She has been baking bread since I sent her a bread machine a couple of years ago - she has some allergies and can avoid the ingredients in commercial bread that causes trouble.

After she became familiar with the process, she began baking bread three or four times a week, sometimes two or three times a day if they have guests for dinner. 
She is often asked to bring a loaf (or two) to dinner parties and to potlucks and we were discussing a variation using organic bread mixes, (easier for her because she works long hours) that she could take to a dinner party next Friday. 

I'm often asked to bring bread to potlucks but people know I was a professional baker and have baked bread for 50 years.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

mcmich

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:13 am »
I totally agree Andie. Home made bread is always welcome.
It probably won't matter what you take Jess, if it's home made it will be received gratefully.