Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 5961 times)

Offline yorkie

• View Profile
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:06:14 pm »
Just want to say Hi to everyone - Have recently purchased a Thermomix, one of my best ever buys.  New to this site and just finding my way around.  Having lived in a very hot climate for the past few years, I have recently returned Scotland and have been snowed in for a week now so having a great time with my new unit much to my neighbours delight too.  I look forward to swapping recipes with you all and learning new things too.

Yorkie
It's no good waiting for the storm around me to pass, it never will, so I'll learn to dance in the rain...

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:13:58 pm »
Welcome Yorkie!

I guess there have to be some benefits to being snowed in. I hope you and your TMX have a great time!!

Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:54:21 pm »
Welcome yorkie. In Australia we are heading into Summer so the thought of snow is quite appealing. Hope you keep cooking up a storm with you TMX
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline KarenT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:57:49 pm »
Hi Yorkie!

Afraid the cold doesn't make me happy at all - so glad we're coming into Summer here in Oz - although someone needs to tell the weather man.......rain rain rain..........

This is a lovely place to ask questions, try out recipes and take advantage of the HUGE font of Thermi knowledge - if it needs to be known - it's known here...........! These people are amazing

Love Karen x :D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:22 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum Yorkie.We have had a little snow here in southeast England but nothing compared to Scotland or the record breaking sub zero temperatures.I gather there were places that were -20c last night. :o  I bet you have been cooking a lot of soups to keep you warm. :D :D There are a great bunch of people here on the forum who love their TM's and share their wonderful recipes.Enjoy.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline yorkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »
Thank you all for your welcomes, what an informative site this is.  Yes, so much to try out, I'm continually amazed at not only what can be done at speed but fabulous results, neighbours this afternoon were convinced that the pastry for my mince pies was shop bought lol!  Hope to be able to contribute to this site in the near future.

Cornish cream - coming from temperatures of 40 degrees plus to minus 15 has been quite a shock but I just love it (for now)
Yorkie
It's no good waiting for the storm around me to pass, it never will, so I'll learn to dance in the rain...

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 03:53:03 pm »
Hi Yorkie and welcome from someone actually living in Yorkshire  ;D

I can empathise with your snow situation - the last time we measured it, we had 15 inches which I believe is a record for this area.  I am busily rustling up soups and bread and porridge to keep us warm.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:07:52 pm »
Hi yorkie, welcome to the forum.  So glad you could join us and share your experiences too.  There's nothing I like better than being stuck in the kitchen with my TMX because the weather conditions prevent outside activity but that's in winter, now summer has arrived I want winter back! So much more you can cook in winter to fill the house with delicious smells.  Have fun here.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 03:48:16 am »
Hi Yorkie, Welcome to the forum.  They have been showing us here in Australia the terriable conditions in Scotland on the news.  I love the winter but what you are experiencing is over the top!!!!  Today it's a hot one here in Adelaide - high 30C's and tomorrow is supposed to be 35C with showers which will be horrid!!!!!  Where in Scotland are you from?  Enjoy your new found friend!!!

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 11:43:55 am »
We've been getting up early to watch the last couple of hours of the Ashes ( ;) ;) ) and it's been weird to see the temperatures of nearly 40 C when it is -10 C outside.     I wouldn't mind this weather if we could be guaranteed a really nice summer  :'(

Offline yorkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 03:14:29 pm »
Hi Trudy

I'm actually in Fife, Scotland and have just spent the last 4 hours trying to dig my car out of the snow  :o, My area has been cut off for a week but now that the roads have been gritted I should be able to get to the shops tomorrow for ingredients, fingers crossed.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 10:34:28 pm »
So much effort just to go to the shop yorkie  :o :o  Guess you have to carry a good stock pile of food at all times during your winter months. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:27 pm »
Never mind needing a freezer to store your food hey?  Just stick it out in the garden!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 06:18:14 am »
Welcome yorkie. It's been interesting reading about the snow. I'm from Perth in West Australia (as are many of the forum members) and we have had very little rain here at all this year.  Whereas at the moment some people in the eastern part of Australia are being evacuated due to flooding.
I hope the snow and cold improve to normal levels for you.

Katya I've been listening to the ashes, :'( :'( you are doing well. It's probably worth getting up for from your point of view.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 09:36:28 am »
Welcome Yorkie

Blimey what a change from Australia to Scotland!  We're in Dorset on the South Coast of the UK so I can (almost) wave to you

Congrats on your new purchase and hope the snow eases a bit for you soon :)\

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010