Author Topic: Storing Swiss Brown Mushrooms  (Read 4618 times)

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
Storing Swiss Brown Mushrooms
« on: October 15, 2010, 05:25:20 am »
I have left about 4kilos swiss brown mushrooms. Have already made soup and risotto. Can I cook and freeze or should I dry?
Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Sue
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Storing Swiss Brown Mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:15:14 am »
I have cooked them and added small amount of cornflour in the past before freezing them & it worked well.

You can certainly dry them, especially if you have a dehydrator.

You should be able to freeze them whole/sliced if being used in casseroles etc after.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:04:08 am »
Thanks Thermomixer, friend just dropped over with a dehydrator, fitted about half in, will try cooking rest as you advised

Thanks
Sue
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:00:52 pm »
SueJen, the mushroom sauce on page 59 of the EDC is really nice and freezes well. I often make up a batch to have on hand to go with steaks or chicken fillets.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 10:47:08 am »
Thanks judydawn, will try next week when I get another 4 kilos

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:39:42 am »
SueJen, if you are getting that many,  then drying them is a good option.   I have dried them and then ground them to powder in the TMX.   They need to be well dried.

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 01:51:43 pm »
thanks achookwoman, what I was thinking of doing - if its ok with GL, is to dry and take to demos when cooking mushroom risotto. I can soak as soon as I get there and then use the liquid too. Would make a real tasty risotto I think, will have to make it at home first though.
Looks like I may be getting swiss browns for a few more weeks. Just dont want to waste them.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 01:56:37 pm »
Hi SueJen, the dried mushrooms would make lovely Christmas gifts for your friends.I know if I were a recipient of such a thoughtful gift I would be over the moon. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 02:05:44 pm »
Me too, my address is ........  :D :D  Great idea CC.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 03:04:26 am »
Thanks a lot - dried mushrooms it is then. Have made up bags of different spice mixes and am waiting to get seaweed from local health food shop to make up Cindi's salt mix. Now I've got into dehydrating will do lemon and orange peel too, great for the custards.

Thanks for ideas - now got me thinking, will go and make up washing powder and dog biscuits too. Nearly got all my friends covered for Christmas.