Author Topic: What's the longest you've managed to stretch something you've cooked?  (Read 12985 times)

Offline nazar

• View Profile
 l have roast chook and vegies one night
then take off meat to add to vegies and pasta the 2nd night  saving some for soup
then third night make a chicken stock  with carcass   use the stock to make chicken and vegie soup

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Amy an electric pie maker is the way to go with  leftovers  ;D

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=7266.300
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
I've prepared a double batch of the mushroom risotto for one meal.
I then recycled a portion of it with chicken for another meal, another portion was combined with steamed veggies, another was combined with leftover roasted pork.

For the final portion, I put it back in the TMX with a little more broth and turned up the speed to 5-6 while heating it.  This produced a smooth gravy or sauce which I put over fried boneless chicken thighs to make "smothered" chicken which I served over split biscuits (American southern style biscuits, not cookie type).

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
left over risotto make great arancini
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Amy an electric pie maker is the way to go with  leftovers  ;D

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=7266.300

Thanks for the link to that thread Uni :D I think we have a pie maker in a cupboard somewhere... its probably an old one but I'm sure it will do the job ;D

@ andiesenji
That sounds like a great way to get a few meals! Do you have any trouble fitting that much risotto in the TM?

I'm hearing a lot about these arancini things... I might have to try them soon :D

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening

@ andiesenji
That sounds like a great way to get a few meals! Do you have any trouble fitting that much risotto in the TM?

A double batch fits as long as I don't add anything else to the risotto.  After it has cooked, I transfer some to two, three or four smaller containers, depending on my future meal plans, then add the additions, meat, chicken, veg/fruits, etc., to the portion remaining in the TMX, sometimes with water, sauce or ? liquid and continue cooking till everything is hot. 
I don't add raw chicken or meat. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
I had heard this about rice and put mine straight in the fridge to cool and then the freezer. It takes nothing to get out and reheat :)

I agree faffa, I am sure rice is OK when frozen.  I suppose the idea is if you want rice for future use, you just cool it asap (perhaps initially by putting it into a bowl, which is sat in cold water or ice), and then fridge and freezer.   I am sure I have seen frozen, cooked rice in supermarkets for the lazy  :D

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
Who here has actually been sick from rice or ever heard anyone get sick from rice?  Sure in restaurants would need to be vigilant but wouldn't be throwing away good rice in a home kitchen when you've been careful about heat and not letting chicken juice drip over everything.  I was curious about sushi and find out bacteria hate vinegar.

I made a ultra tasty nachos the other night using a frozen black turtle bean and rice meal from months ago, mixed with spinach & lentil bolognese from a few days ago.  Spread out on a large pyrex dish and heated in oven, then over that grated cheese, corn chips (what was left after waiting for the 'meat' part to cook, salsa, more cheese, cooked until melted then on top my avo/pea guacamole alot of green yumminess with half avocado.   Best nachos ever.

Baked potatoes are another way to use up lots of bits and pieces like leftover coleslaw, baked beans, curry from 3 nights ago etc etc.  We had them the other night, I forgot how satisfying something made from a whole lot of leftovers could be.

mcmich

I don't think I've ever eaten rice that's more than 2 days old.
If you freeze it in a single layer it's super quick to heat up again.

Bonsai

Once when my kids were young (all under 12) I got sick of the 'won't eat this and that' regime so cooked about 2kg of spaghetti bolognese sauce. First night served it with pasta. Next night topped with mash and served as 'shepherd's pie', next night used in a lasagne, next night filled some pies with it. It took until night 5 for eldest DS to realise what was happening. Other two would have happily kept eating the stuff.....   :-))

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile

@ andiesenji

A double batch fits as long as I don't add anything else to the risotto.  After it has cooked, I transfer some to two, three or four smaller containers, depending on my future meal plans, then add the additions, meat, chicken, veg/fruits, etc., to the portion remaining in the TMX, sometimes with water, sauce or ? liquid and continue cooking till everything is hot. 
I don't add raw chicken or meat. 

Thanks for the tips :)

I suppose we are all just lucky that our wonderful thermomixes can whip up a batch of perfectly steamed rice in 20 minutes, so cooking it fresh is pretty easy anyway :D