Author Topic: so excited i cant sleep!  (Read 22911 times)

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
Re: so excited i cant sleep!
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 03:46:03 am »
Nicky, the smell does disappear.  Leave it open to air. Bi carb soda and vinegar may reduce some of the smell.  It wont last and I havent found any gets tainted at all.  I use mine constantly! If it really bothers you, you could always try boiling some water with lemon in it.

Enjoy all the lovely treats you can make for your family!

xoxo
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline joolz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 07:31:59 am »
mango season at the moment so sorbets, slushies and smoothies are fantastic.

Offline NICKY 74

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 03:46:17 pm »
thanks jodi, i just read the manual tonight and i hadnt been leaving mc off. will leave lid off too etc.
made butter chicken tonght, was a bit bland though, think maybe to do with the fact i didnt have whole seeds, but ground ones so i didnt toast them to release the flavours.
think i may try the chicken and cashew tomorrow, will test my skills as will be first time using varoma!
nicky  ;D
the answer is chocolate, who cares what the question is!

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 10:59:52 pm »
Hey Nikki,

I made the Butter Chicken as one of my first dishes when I got my TMX and like you I was a bit disappointed.  I thought it was bland too.  I did use the whole spices etc, exactly like the recipe.  Couldn't work out what went wrong.  ??? Maybe someone on here will advise us what to do to add some flavour.

Glad you're enjoying it though.
Converted for life!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 03:21:17 am »
Hi Jodi & Nicky - I love that you're enjoying your thermomixes!!  Have you tried the Butter Chicken recipe in the Indian cookbook?  It's FAR from bland!!!  Absolutely delicious - but you've got to make the tikka paste first - it's really worth it!  The tikka paste recipe makes a litre of paste, which keeps in the fridge for months, and you can use it in all sorts of things - on a lamb roast, in curries, even in sausage roll filling! (I made some chicken & vege sausage rolls the other day and put tikka paste in - they were delicious!)  Anyway, the Indian book recipe is heaps better than the one in the EDC.

Have fun!!  ;D  Jo
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 07:35:15 am »
Oh Jo! Thanks so much for the tip.  I did look at the Indian Cookbook recipe and then realised about the tikka paste.  All looked too hard.  Now I know that it's useful in other dishes I will definitely give it a go!

Awesome!  :D
Converted for life!

Offline joynatalie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 09:52:22 am »
 >:( still waiting for mine - still trying to decide what my inaugural meal will be!!!  I am a vegeterian so any suggestion my fellow thermomixers???

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 10:06:34 am »
Check out the recipes in the Vegetable section of the forum joynatalie - the vegetable lasagne seems a good one to start with. Then there is the Chinese stir fried vegie recipe in the EDC which you will get with your TMX.  Lentil bolognaise from Quirky Jo's blog is another one.  Hopefully you have ordered the Vegetarian book too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:42 am »
Do you like quinoa, joynatalie?  We love making Mexican Quinoa, and usually have it with spelt tortillas.  Or as JD said, the Lentil Bolognese is nice :)  Or if you want something raw and refreshing, we love Raw Pasta Sauce;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 11:58:39 am »
I did the Butter Chicken from the Indian Cookbook.  I also made the tikka paste and have loads -its well worth doing because tikka paste can be used in anything.  We thought the butter chicken was gorgeous :)

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline NICKY 74

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 02:14:30 pm »
thanks jo, i dont have the indian cookbook yet, but my sister in law has it who we will be seeing at xmas, so i will have to borrow it from her! 1 litre of paste seems massive!
went out and bought some new spices today, whole seeds! also bought bakers flour and yeast, i thought the tmx was supposed to save us money but i seem to be at the  shop everyday at the moment because i cant get organised and do a whole weeks munu yet. just want to try out all the new stuff, but i guess i'd better eat my freezer up too!
experimented with juice tonight, made the carrot & orange one first, but when we tasted it was a bit watery & tasteless, but the end of the jug was more orangy & delicious, i poured it straight away so thought it would have been well mixed but maybe needed to stir it as i poured.
then made a boost juice, was really delicious!  :P
nicky  :)
the answer is chocolate, who cares what the question is!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
I use 2 carrots in the carrot/orange juice Nicky74 but I have found that most fruit juices improve with age and are even better the next day (thinking more the berry ones than orange though)

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 10:38:55 am »
Nicky give it a few weeks and you will have most of the different things you need and will then save loads of money.

Jodi I just asked about the tikka paste as just (finally) got the indian cook book but worried a litre was a lot to eat in 6 weeks (and we do a lot of curries, lol) but with being able to freeze it and using it to flavour other things I'm very excited to find the time to make it.

Offline joynatalie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 10:51:03 am »
just got delivery :) it is beyond exciting but i forgot to stock up so have nothing ready to make!!!  i ended up heating frozen pizza!  my demo was a disaster as the scales were off so we ended up with buckets of uncooked custard so i learned the value of making sure the feet are secure on the bench.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 11:06:57 am »
Not a good start joynatalie - hope things improve from now on in.