Author Topic: Ganache question - calling all cake experts!  (Read 12180 times)

Offline vee

• View Profile
Ganache question - calling all cake experts!
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:08 am »
I am doing a cake decorating course, and need to turn up on Thursday night with a stack of chocolate ganache.

I have made the one out of the EDC before, numerous times, successfully. But I am far from an expert at these sort of things.

My cake teacher said the normal ratio for ganache is 2 parts chocolate: 1 part cream (pure cream, not thickened).

The EDC is almost 1:1 ratio, and I used thickened cream.

Can anyone explain what the difference between 'traditional' ganache and thermomx ganache would be?

I am reluctant to use 1kg of chocolate and 1 L of cream and have it not be right.

Any tips/hints?

Thanks

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
Re: Ganache question - calling all cake experts!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:22 am »
Not expert but id say that the 2/1 is for layers/fillings and 1:1 i would use for covering the cake.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:51:41 am »
I am in no way an expert but I have enjoyed making ganache using the advice from this cookery discussion:

I've made several ganache in the Thermomix now. It's a dream. I just put everything in, put it at 50C for 3 min. at speed 3. I often have to do an additional minute (I do this one at 37C) if the callets I'm using are large. I use cold ingredients (I do cold infusions) so these times/temps. would change with hot cream. I then put it at speed 7 for 30 sec. to emulsify. I've checked the temps. of my finished ganache and they are around the 92-93F mark.

As I said, I use cold infusions so it's great to not have to heat the cream separately. I also used to use tempered chocolate in my ganache. Having just Mol d'Art melters, it was a fairly long process to make a ganache including tempering time. Now it takes minutes! It's so fast and easy it's almost like an 'oh ya, I have to make ganache - I'll whip some up before lunch.'

Here's what I've noticed. The consistency seems denser. I used to make ganache by hand so maybe I'm getting less air incorporated. I also have an issue that I'll have to rectify... because the ganache is so nicely tempered, it is quite thick when I put in the frame. I'm getting small air pockets in the ganache and I notice them when I remove the acetate as well. I think I'll try processing a little longer/hotter to have the consistency a little thinner - yet keeping it in temper.

I've also done hazelnut paste in it. It does a very good job but I might like the VitaMix better for this task - seems to do the job faster.

Yesterday I was making clusters that used chocolate and hazelnut paste as a base (just to make it a little softer in texture). In the middle of spooning them out the mixture solidified on me. I just reprocessed in the thermomix on low speed so it wouldn't chew up my add-ins and voila, I'm in business again in minutes!

I think you'll like it :)

On the same page there is a recipe for lemon and white chocolate ganache, made in the Thermomix.  Worth printing out as sometimes these outside links disappear.

PS  Here is another ganache conversion for the Thermomix:  http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/node/17652

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:02:41 pm by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:38 pm »
Even before getting my TM I used to make ganache with the 1:1 recipe ie same volume cream to chocolate. This was for cake icing and makes the  glossiest ganache.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline vee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
Thanks!

The ganache is to go underneath fondant, so do you think the 1:1 would be ok? or should I try the 2:1?

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »
If it is under fondant I would do 2:1 rather than the 1:1 as you want the texture of the ganache rather than the look of it- you therefore need it a bit thicker for that particular purpose.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline vee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:54:29 pm »
Thanks Merlin. I was going to use this recipe
300g cream
300g of chopped dark chocolate

Add cream to bowl, 5 min 100 

When there is 1.30mins left on the timer add chopped chocolate, continue for the full 5 mins
Stand for 2 mins

Mix on speed 3 to 4   for 1 min
Makes  about 2 cup

Do you think it will it work the same if I use less cream?

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:45:32 pm »
I've checked Paris Cutler's book regarding ganache to be used under fondant icing. At Planet Cake, their Dark Ganache is made with 300g dark chocolate and 150ml cream.  She says to use pure cream - not thickened cream. Also, a lower fat content (but not low fat) cream is best asitwont thicken when mixed..
My "Confetti Cakes" book by Elisa Strauss also uses a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to cream.

"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:32 am »
We have done a lot of ganache for cake decorating. You definitely need the higher chocolate content, as you spread the ganache thickly and you need it to set as solid as possible. Having said that, I still struggle to get that perfect firm finish! If you are doing this, you'll need to accept that it gets quite expensive, and is also very wasteful! Having my TMX has made it a dream to get that lovely smooth ganache as opposed to the old stovetop/microwave method. If you have a big cake, you end up needing to work with a large quantity of ganache, so getting smooth ganache used to be hard work.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:24:54 am »
Just in passing I noticed a recipe for Vanilla Ganache in For Food's Sake - on p.154.  Just thought it might help someone to add that reference here.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution