Author Topic: Has anyone preserved chillies??  (Read 8301 times)

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
Has anyone preserved chillies??
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:06:17 am »
Hi Everyone. Yet another bush in the garden that I need to harvest. I have an abundance of chillies and seeings the lovely Fayeeg has already given me a huge bag of dried ones I thought I might slice mine up and preserve them ready for tacos etc (like the jar of jalepeanos you buy in the supermarket). I'm guessing it's chilli, salt, vinegar and water but not really sure the process. Has anyone else done this before? I found one method on the net but it calls for soaking them in a brine solution before pickling? Help!  ???

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone preserved chillies??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:58:41 am »
My neighbour has a chilli tree. She  is not a nice person. I harvest the tree by secretely cutting off the branches. I take it into the house and remove every single chili. I then put them on a  pizza tray and put them outside in the sun. When they are really really dry i put them in the TMX and grind them up. Do not  stick your head in the bowl!

Put the  ground ciliiies into a jar and they will keep forever.

Gert
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:24:15 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:10:27 am »
Hi lisaarnold - you may have already taken a look at some of these sites which may be helpful

http://www.chillies-down-under.com/preserving-chillies.html

http://www.chillies-down-under.com/drying-chillies-dehydrator.html

I've preserved them in sherry years ago - use the chillies as you need . . also use the flavoured sherry, particularly in Asian dishes.  Personally, I wouldn't try preserving them in oil - have heard too many conflicting accounts of how this can lead to food poisoning - don't know that for sure but I really don't want to take the risk.  

My preferred method is to dry them - some years ago I found the instructions to build a "solar powered" dehydrator on the Australian Renewable Energy website. When I went to look for it again recently the website had been changed and the page taken down. I did find a hard copy of the two pages just recently that I had kept "in a safe place" though and now I have them as a pdf.  

A friend of mine built one and has had years of remarkable success using it to dry all manner of things but chillies were his specialty!  To give you an idea of the size, the body of it is made by cutting one side out of two polystyrene boxes and fastening them together . . . costs virtually nothing to make :)

The file is too large to send to the forum, but if anyone would like the instruction sheets, perhaps I could email them to you (2 pdf pages)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:41:39 am »
yes please goldfish i would like a copy  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:52:11 am »
Ah Gert, you made me laugh!! Great idea :)

Thanks goldfish. I looked at that site which is where I got the brine idea from. I already have a stack of dried ones, and hoping for more of a pickle recipe. I'm giving the one a try on the website and I guess I'll just see how I go. :) would love you to send me the PDF sheets of the mock dehydrator :) I'll pm you my email :) thanks a bunch

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 06:57:47 pm »
fundj - be  more than happy to . . . can you please PM me your email address?  Thanks.

lisaarnold - thanks for the PM . . on its way :)

l
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:37:58 pm by goldfish »

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »
fundj - on its way :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:38:24 pm by goldfish »

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »
thanks goldfish  :-*
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:58 pm »
Here are some other sites you may like to look at, lisaarnold . . .

http://www.thechilliman.biz/Recipes.htm#Pickled Chillies.

http://www.rocoto.com/preserving/      (just scroll down for the pickle)

http://www.jalapenomadness.com/preserve_jalapenos.html     (can adapt for other chillies I should think!)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg082227119009.html

I'm posting a recipe from this particular forum (Note: An American recipe so you might need to adjust some of the measures)
and hope to heaven I'm not breaching any forum etiquette by doing so!!  ??? ???  (Moderators - please advise!!!)  

Posted by fiedlermeister 04/05 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 7:41  
I adapted a bread and butter pickle recipe, sustituting pepper-- mostly jalapenos. They are very tasty and can either be stored in the fridge without processing--they stay crispy-- or proceessed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and stored at room temp.
I usually increase the amts for the brine to be sure I have enough to cover the peppers
1 1/2 to 2 lbs peppers sliced 1/4 " thick
2 medium onions sliced thin
6 ice cubes
1/4 cup coarse ( Kosher ) salt
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
In large bowl combine peppers, onions, salt, and ice. Let stand 1 hour tosssing occassionally.

Fill bowl with water and drain vegetables in a colander. Rinse and drain three times to rinse off all salt. Drain well.

In large pan combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil. Add the vegetables and when the liquid barely begins to simmer remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

Put in jars with enough brine to cover vegetables and store in the fridge. Ready to eat the next day but I have kept in fridge for many months. really good--crunchy-not too sweet--not too sour.

. . . and just for fun ;D  let's hope you don't have this many to deal with . .!! :o :o :o
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/India/North/Jammu_and_Kashmir/Srinagar/photo533311.htm
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:10:45 am by goldfish »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 05:52:36 am »
I tend to throw mine into the freezer and use straight from there.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 06:01:20 am »
I have just made a batch of Sweet Chilli Sauce from the Forum.   Highly recommended.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 07:29:00 am »
I do that too Cookie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 11:23:03 am »
I have a recipe for glace chillies. I have not tried to make them because it is quite a processes. Basically the process is to make a sugar syrup and place the chillies into a jar with the syrup but it takes about a week and needs daily checking and maintenance.

It was given to me in paper format and is several pages long.  If anyone is interested I will scan it into a PDF document and email it to you.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »
Hi Dashingden - would love to see a copy of your recipe.  I'll PM you my email address.  Thank you!

Offline chicksta44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »
Right, well I had a crack at this and what a disaster! I'm so confused by what salt to use. I went and got one from the health food shop with no nasties in it and the lady told me to use a specific one for preserving but the liquid is so cloudy and horrible looking :( and i thought I had heaps of chillies but once they were all cut up there doesn't look like many at all. I should have waited and picked them all at once but I didn't want them to turn red. Oh well. Just waiting 1 week to try these and will see what they are like. All else fails I'll chuck them in a taco mince or something.  Will use my jalepenos next time too instead of these smaller skinner chillies.