Author Topic: Hot Oil Hair Treatment  (Read 8885 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Hot Oil Hair Treatment
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:20:44 am »
If your hair is naturally dry or has become dry due to over-shampooing, bleach, colouring, or too much sun or illness, both hair and scalp will benefit from a hot oil treatment.
2 tbsp Castor oil
1 tbsp olive oil
10 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops Clary sage essential oil
5 drops sandalwood essential oil
Mix all the oils together and warm to blood heat (37C) - NO HOTTER.
Massage the blend into your hair and scalp. Cover with a washer or hand towel (piece of toweling) wrung out in very hot water, and then with a shower cap. Wrap the whole head in a hot towel. Reheat towel when it cools 2 or 3 times. Do not shampoo for at least an hour. Follow with herbal shampoo. The quantities in this recipe may need to be doubled if your hair is very long or thick.
From Nery Purchon's handbook of Aromatherapy

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: Hot Oil Hair Treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 01:14:46 pm »

Mix all the oils together and warm to blood heat (37C) - NO HOTTER.

Thanks Nay-Nay.   ;) My hair is quiet oily, so I'll stay way from this one.

Funny the "blood heat" - at work they were recently going to publish a recipe in a newsletter/magazine and the recipe called for blood heat too. I'd never heard that before. Usually it's body temp.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 01:48:23 pm »
Yes they usually say "Blood Heat" for junkets and stuff like that. I just looked up my book for oily hair and this is what it says:

Shampooing every day can aggravate the problem, as the glands become even more active in responce to the constant stimulation. Dry shampoos are a compromise as they remove the oil between shampoos. Don't brush too hard for too long. Don't use very hot water for shampooing or rinsing, as the heat will encourage the production of more oil. A vinegar rinse will strip the excessive oil and leave the hair shining and manageable.
 After Shampoo Rinse
2 cups vinegar
2 teaspoons of mixed or single essential oil (oils for oily hair are Bay laurel, clary sage, cypress, lavendar, lemon, rosemary)
Mix all ingredients together in 500ml bottle. Leave for 4 days to synergise.
Add 1/2 cup of the rinse to 1 litre of warm water. rinse hair, using a bowl to catch - repeat as much as you like or til your arms get tired.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 01:53:51 pm »
THanks Nay-nay. Will give that a go later in the week.
It's a bit of a catch 22.  If I don't wash my hair everyday it's so oily the following day and I just can't stand it...  Maybe OK if I didn't need to leave the house, but unfortunatly I have to work  :-))
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog