Author Topic: Lavender suitable for cooking.  (Read 3197 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Lavender suitable for cooking.
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:05 am »
Sorry, but I lost the thread about which Lavender was suitable for cooking.  It is English Lavender or sometimes called Common Lavender.....augustifolia is its official name.  It has a low camphoraceous content.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lavender suitable for cooking.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:00:29 am »
Thanks Chookie, I will take a piece of mine to the nursery and get them to identify it.  I'm sure it is the common English lavender.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:34:34 pm »
This website should help with your questions

If you don't grow your own, health food stores are a good source for dried lavender flowers for culinary use.

They may also carry a lavender that is used for potpourri for candles and other non-culinary uses.  If unsure, ASK!

I grow and use Provence lavender in cooking and for making my own blend of Herbs de Provence.   I have English lavender (Hidcote) also good for culinary use, Spanish lavender and a hybrid that has exceptionally long flower spike stems - suitable for making lavender "wands" but not for culinary use as it is, as noted on the website, very strong scented and has a camphor taste.  It won't poison you but there is a bitter flavor that is not so nice.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:39:31 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:24:56 am »
Thanks Andie.  Had a good read then did a bit of research on it and found there is a stall at the Willunga Farmers Markets here in South Australia.  Chookie, did you see the Fleurieu Lavender stall when you visited these markets during your holiday over here? He makes ice-cream, cookies, tea etc - so interesting to read what you can do with something which I never considered a herb but apparently is.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.