Author Topic: Dundee Cake  (Read 4524 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Dundee Cake
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:46:34 pm »
I have been asked to produce a Dundee Cake for an anniversary part the end of this month (someone got married on Halloween 42 years ago!)

I have an excellent recipe for Dundee cake but it makes 12 6-inch cakes (for gifts) and I have spent two hours or so trying to divide it so there will be enough batter for a single 9 inch cake - they don't care if it's a bit larger or smaller - it has to serve just 10 people and has to be large enough to hold the decorations they already have.

I have fractions whirling around my head and thought I would look here for a recipe but none is to be found when I searched.  I feel like rather a dunce at the moment. 

There are thousands of recipes online but I have tried a few in the past and have been less than thrilled with the results.  I am a very experienced baker but this is really getting to me. 
I haven't made the cakes for gifts for two or three years - I alternate with other type - so maybe I need a refresher course.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Winn

• View Profile
Re: Dundee Cake
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:41:08 pm »
hi from the UK.  Googled Delia online for upscaling cake recipe, gives all ingredients and quantities for rich fruit cake from 8in to 11in.  Then checked her Dundee cake recipe for the ingredients.    For a nine inch (23cm size would require) the following:  10ozs (275g) unsalted butter, 10ozs (275g) sugar, 3 eggs, 10ozs 275g  sifted plain flour, 1 level teaspoon baking powder, milk if necessary, 1 1/4 lb (575g) currants, 8oz (225g) sultanas, 2 1/2oz, (60g) glace cherries, rinsed and halved, 60g finely chopped mixed candied peel, 2 1/2oz (60g) ground almonds, zest of 1 small orange and the zest of 1 small lemon, 60g of whole blanched almonds for top.     The level tspn of baking powder is UK teasp which is slightly less than Australian.  The approx baking time for the rich 23cm cake was 4 3/4 hrs.

Hope this helps and the ingredients list is similar to what you use.

Offline Winn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:55:52 pm »
Re cooking time 170c, sorry not to sure how long the Dundee cake would take to bake, would check after three hours to see if ready. 

ElsieD

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »
I found a recipe in the New York Times Cookbook by Craig Claiborne.  (Remember him?). It is similar to the one above but is in North American measurements, I.e. Cups and teaspoons.  Also, the baking time listed is 1 hour and 15 minutes.  It makes one 9 inch cake.  If you would like it, I can type it up and PM it to you.

Elsie

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:22:03 am »
I would love the Craig Claiborne recipe - I have his cookbooks but God only knows where they are now, probably in one of the stacks in my office.   I will PM you my regular email address.

I've also printed out the one you posted Winn.  After I convert the amounts to something similar to my U.S. measurements I will see how it compares.  
I haven't had a great deal of luck with other recipes from Delia I have tried - the Chestnut cupcakes I tried a couple of years are were simply ghastly.  The birds got them and they ate a bunch of stale bread before they finished the cupcake crumbs.  
However, this more traditional recipe may be more in her line so I have hopes it will be good.  A trial run first of course.

ElsieD

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:39:50 pm »
Andie, did you get the recipe?

Elsie

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:08 am »
Andie, did you get the recipe?

Elsie

I got the inquiry email:  Subject Did you get the recipe?
Elsie

Sent from my iPad

Did not get the recipe. 

ElsieD

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:52:56 am »
That's all you got?  I'll send it again right now.  I wonder where it went?

Elsie

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 01:27:12 am »
I got it.

Sometimes things just go out into the ether and never come back to earth.

A few months ago I had to send a link four times before my daughter finally got it.  Never got a "not-deliverable" message, it just never got there.  

Thanks so much for the recipe, I really appreciate the time you spent on it.

ElsieD

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 01:31:53 am »
You're welcome.  I hope it meets your expectations.

Elsie