Author Topic: Converting recipes BACK to traditional from TMX  (Read 6687 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Converting recipes BACK to traditional from TMX
« on: June 08, 2012, 03:33:17 am »
Over the past two years I have had the time of my life converting traditional recipes to TMX.  So much so that it has become almost automatic.  However sometimes a friend,  who does't have a TMX , will ask for the recipe.  I usually hand them a printed TMX recipe and scribble a few changes on the sheet.   It is the METHOD that is usually different.   Small things,  such as adding lemon zest with the sugar in the TMX,  where as it might be added at the end with traditional baking.   The ingredients usually  stay pretty much the same, except dishes  like soups and stews usually need more liquid add in the  traditional method.
I was wondering what other Forum members do in similar circumstances,  when asked for a recipe.? 

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Converting recipes BACK to traditional from TMX
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:42:23 am »
Panic??!!!! ;D ;D ;D
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline cooking-good-looking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:07:44 am »
Tell them THIS is why they need a TMX :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:46:14 am »
LOL give it to them and tell them to look on the net for a similar recipe to help convert it back!!! Otherwise I tell them that they just need to buy a TMX and I will happily share ALL my recipes with them  ;) ;)

It is something I just can not get my head around after nearly 5 years - it is so foreign!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

jakodai

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:32:56 am »
I've made a few recipes from this forum thermomix-less. I guess if you have a rough understanding of the device and how it works, it's relatively simple to figure out what needs to be done. Depending on the complexity of the recipe, I guess...

mcmich

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:36:20 am »
Before I had a thermomix and was lurking on the forum. I did a lot of the steps in my food processor.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 07:26:31 am »
I've only done it for baking recipes. I print out the TMX one and then put the 'normal' instructions underneath. Usually with the heading:   For those who don't own a Thermomix.
, I try to make the TMX ones look brief and the others long.  eg cream butter and sugar, speed 3, 2 minutes

Compared to cream butter and sugar in the bowl until white and creamy, not forgetting to scrape the bowl down as required.

I like to try and make things look really quick and easy in the TMX.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:30:24 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:31:10 am »
I would google a recipe thats close.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 11:29:37 am »
Thanks all.  I understand what you are saying and how you feel,  but many who do not have a TMX have generously shared their recipes with me and I have converted them to TMX. We have all benefited from these recipes. I would like everyone to have a TMX,  but this is just not going to happen.     Faffa ,  I know how you feel.  I am finding t increasing difficult to  convert back.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 11:31:17 am »
If someone asks for one of my recipes and doesn't have a TM, I just tell them, sorry it won't work without it!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:34 am »
Totally agree with that! Sorry- it sounds selfish but I I don't think that a lot of things I cooked prior to the TM are superior to what I'm doing now so therefore I don't revert back to a lot of my old recipes
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 02:09:56 pm »
I've been asked a few times for TMX recipes and if it's one I've converted myself it's easy to find the original recipe and print it out for them.  One was Nico's Thai chicken and basil and of course in his recipe book, he has both versions so that was another easy one too.  I generally don't have any problems coming up with something for them to take home and I'm always flattered that they want to try and replicate my recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 02:22:14 pm »
I've converted a couple of recipes back to a traditional method Farfallina Chocolate Souffle and Jo's Lentil Bolognase.Both worked for the people who cooked the recipes  ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 03:43:47 pm »
its a bit of a wink wink nudge nudge thing with my friends. They know I just cook always with TM and they go "is it a Thermie recipe?", "aha", "ok..."  I will always hound people tho until the end of the earth for a recipe so if they really wanted a recipe they could do the same thing. Don't want my friends making the same recipes as me anyway so if they don't push the button I'm not gonna press. However I loooooooooooooove to share my Thermie recipes with anyone and everyone!  :-* :-* :-*

If, like JD I knew or had the original source - yep, give it straight back.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 03:46:00 pm »
I've converted a couple of recipes back to a traditional method Farfallina Chocolate Souffle and Jo's Lentil Bolognase.Both worked for the people who cooked the recipes  ;D

I knew CC had done the choc souffle conversion for her friend so I picked her brains for that conversion to give my SIL  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.