Author Topic: Creamed Corn  (Read 11099 times)

Offline aussiegirl55

• View Profile
Creamed Corn
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:20:29 pm »
I have just moved from Australia to UK, with my Thermomix (and husband) and I need to use creamed corn in a few recipes. Finding a can of creamed corn here is almost impossible and when found it is expensive. I figure I could make it in the TM does anyone have a recipe they could share with me. Thanks.  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Creamed Corn
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 02:22:04 pm »
I think there is a thread on here Aussiegirl, Will see if I can find it for you :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:25:27 pm »
Here you go  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 03:10:20 pm »
No wonder you can't find it in the Uk, i live here and never heard of it, what is it and what do you do with it?
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »
I love creamed corn mmm very easy to do in thermie...follow the link that faffa put ...its chelseas creamed corn and tastes so yum...we cant get it in France either and I have made it several times...i even love it occasionallly just on toast ...yum!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 05:36:54 pm »
No wonder you can't find it in the Uk, i live here and never heard of it, what is it and what do you do with it?
You can buy it in Tesco's ,Green Giant brand :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »
Can you? I don't shop in Tesco so have no idea really, what do you use it for is it a sauce?

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 08:36:58 pm »
Creamed corn began as a favorite side dish in the American south.

Originally it involved starting with fresh sweet corn (not field corn) usually the "white" variety.  The kernels were cut from the cob (there are many gadgets for this but only a couple that are really efficient). I have a 40-year-old Lee's corn cutter.
The cob is then scraped with the back of a knife or with a broad spoon to extract as much of the "milk" as possible.
The cobs are broken up, put into a pan with enough water to cover and simmered for an hour with the cover on the pan to prevent the liquid from boiling away - adding more water if needed.  (NO SALT yet)
They are then removed from the corn "broth" which is then reduced by about half, which concentrates the flavor and depending on the amount of liquid, a teaspoon or so of corn starch (or flour) is whisked into it and cooked just until it begins to thicken.

Meanwhile, the cut kernels and whatever liquid that came off with them are tossed into a hot skillet with either butter (or in the south, most commonly bacon dripping) and stirred constantly until they just begin to take on a bit of color.  

The thickened broth is added to the skillet and stirred constantly until it looks like corn kernels suspended in cream.

Only at this point is salt and pepper added to taste a little at a time - the corn should be sweet with only a hint of salt.  

This may seem like a lot of work but the result is nothing like the canned stuff - which is a pale imitation of the original dish.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:41:47 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 09:08:10 pm »
Can you? I don't shop in Tesco so have no idea really, what do you use it for is it a sauce?

its one of those funny things that you can eat on its own or put it in dishes or put it on top of pastries, toast ...kind of similar to creamed mushrooms..can be a meal or a condiment  :)  not a sauce more a topping when used in smaller amounts!! 
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline aussiegirl55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 09:38:10 pm »
Thanks everyone I knew my Aussie TM mates would come through.

I use it to make Chicken and Corn soup

1 pkt Chicken noodle soup
450gm Creamed Corn
1 Litre water
1/4 BBQ chicken

I take chicken off the bone and place in TM 2 sec on speed 5
Add rest of ingredients
Reverse speed 2 and cook at 100 for 15 mins.

I did find a tin of creamed corn at Tescos but compared with what I paid for it in Aus it is very expensive and now I have made my own the taste is so good I will never buy canned cream corn again.
This soup is Quick, cheap, yummy and tastes even better the next day.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:34:02 am »
Passionflower, here is a tuna recipe using creamed corn - the 2 ingredients work well together in mornays.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:14:24 am »
Ok so you know what I will be making today don't you? ;D JD thank for the recipe as well I will try that after I made my creamed corn. Love this forum you learn new things all the time xx