Author Topic: Bron's Spanish Vegetable Stock Concentrate  (Read 40332 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Re: Bron's Spanish Vegetable Stock Concentrate
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 10:08:52 am »
Just checked out your blog Karen - impressive :)

So, is Bron's vegie stock better than the one in the everyday cookbook.  I am almost due to make another batch.  I think the one in the book would be cheaper to make but cost isn't everything if you are getting a better finished product.

I prefer this one to the other one which is posted using parmesan, but haven't tried the one in Everyday as yet.  Next time I make this I would DEFINITELY use less salt.  It's much too much for my taste, meaning that I can only use it where a smidge is used, rather than say a full flavoured soup stock.  However, if there weren't so much salt, then I would use it a lot more, as it's basically yummy.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 10:40:18 am »
Made this for the first time today, nice colour Bron (better than the pooey coloured one from the everyday book).  Don't know if I will notice any difference in taste though until I do something with it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 04:00:52 pm »
I don't know what your one tastes like but I ove this one even more than my chicken one, which is amazing! I always add parsnip and lots of parsley, it gives it such a lovely kick! ;) ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 08:53:30 pm »
I've made my first batch - I get through vegetable stock cubes at quite a rate, so homemade concentrate seemed a really good idea :)

I'm letting it cool before the final blitzing, but my first surprise is - it's GREEN! That's not a bad thing, I'm just used to concentrated stock being brownish... I'm clearly not used to the real thing ;)

Thanks for the recipe!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 09:49:13 am »
Yes Chicken one is BROWN but veggie one is GREEN! ;) ;) ;) I love them both!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 02:48:47 pm »
I am so pleased you put the weight of the vegetables - mine only weighed 430g so I doubled everything to make up to 820g - the jug was full and it ended up making about 800ml. I then used what was left in the jug to make soup. I did taste it and thought it was good even though the salt was evident it was not too strong for me.
Thank you for posting this recipe.
Shayla in Cape Town

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 09:56:06 am »
Making this now..  I had to cut the parsnip and only use 1 leek and carrot to get it to meet the weight otherwise it went way over! lol  I couldn't understand why mine was more of a browny colour and then realised I hadn't put the leek in hahaah so had to stop and give it a quick blitz before putting back on to cook.

It smells great.  I haven't got to the last bit of the instructions but it's been really easy to do.  The only issue I had was that the tmx wasn't picking up the salt so well when I was pouring it in trying to get the right weight so I am not entirely sure how much salt is in it! lol

I'll be using it in the shepherd's pie recipe for dinner tonight (making that after this)... in fact I hear the singing princess now!

Well I have just made a Spanish Vegetable Stock and I see it differs from this one.

This one is very popular here. Thought I would post it for you to try too!
2 cloves garlic
handful flat parsley
2 carrots
1 small turnip
1 parsnip
1 sticks celery including leafy part
2 leeks
1 onion (I weighed all these ingredients and it all weighed 820g)
Place them all in THX and blitz 7-10, then add 200g salt and 20g olive oil and program 30 mins, 100º, speed 2 & 1/2.
Then blitz 7-10 for 30 seconds and store in fridge in a jar.

Will try your one Thermomixer next time and compare ;D ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 08:03:15 am »
Hope it goes well.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 09:51:12 am »
It's great and definitely nicer than bought stocks :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 10:35:28 am »
You will be making this in your sleep soon snoozie....I use my stocks in EVERYTHING and it is different everytime but oh so nice it doesn't matter!  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 11:12:46 am »
Just an update on my original post.  After a few (weeks? probably) the overly salty taste settled down, and it was just right.  I'm near the end of the jar now, and it's still in perfect condition (7 months on!  It was a big jar and I only use a tsp or so at a time), so I guess I wouldn't change the salt ratio at all  :D  No way would it have stayed good for so long with less salt, despite the fact that it's been in the fridge the whole time.  And really, once it 'matured' (was it days or a week or 2?  Really can't remember) the flavour was just right.

Is it worth my trying the EDC one for my next batch for a bit of variety, anyone?  Or shall I just stick with this one?  I've certainly been thrilled with this one.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 11:27:51 am »
Stick with your recipe bron - it is good.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 01:38:19 pm »
Have only just come across this and will certainly give it a try.  The once with Parmesan is also in Fast and Easy Cooking but have been reluctant to make it because it contains Parmesan (DH is allergic to cheese) and mushrooms (which I dislike).  This one contains neither so sounds ideal  ;D

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 01:56:21 pm »
I also find it lasts me a long time so I stick it in smaller plastic containers in the freezer - it doesn't actually freeze but it gives me more room in my fridge! I also freeze my tahini paste - also doesn't freeze and can use it straight from the freezer.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »
Thanks Shayla, that is useful to know.  We have a large fridge, but always seems too full :)

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire