Author Topic: Four weeks to change labelling laws  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Four weeks to change labelling laws
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:08:22 am »
 If you have ever read Cyndi O'Meara thoughts on GM food it is quite a scary thought that Australia is so willing to allow this in.  >:( I just got this email below from the True Food Network.
We all have a right to know what we are eating, but under our current laws most GE ingredients are exempt from labelling. Last Friday it was announced that an independent review into food labelling will be undertaken. This creates an opportunity for our lax labelling laws to be changed. Alarmingly, the government is only allowing four weeks for public submissions. If you're sick of eating in the dark, show the reviewers that Australians want labelling to cover all GE derived ingredients. Make a personal submission to the review now.
http://www.truefood.org.au/newsandevents/?news=73

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Four weeks to change labelling laws
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:29:29 am »
Thanks Nay I will get DH to do this for me as he has a real way with words! - I was listening to some new Cyndi stuff yesterday and am going to post this on the MFF thread as well. She was saying you have to eat 11 slices of bread to get benefits from the MFF - think that comes under the eating in the dark heading too!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:38:25 am »
Thanks Nay Nay - it's so important for everyone to be able to understand what they are eating!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:59:26 am »
As a child affected by colours, flavours & additives myself & as a parent who can see the effects of them in my children, this review is LOOOOOONG overdue!  Not to mention the whole GE issue that we have to contend with nowadays.  >:(

4 weeks isn't a long time to provide feedback.  I wonder how much of it they are going to take seriously ???

Thanks for letting us know about this Nay-Nay.  I have passed the message onto some others that I think will be interested too.  Hopefully there will be enough voices raised, even in 4 weeks, to show them we mean business.
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH
----------------------------------------------
Every artist was first an amateur - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:12 am »
Four weeks isn't a very long time. Perhaps they think people will not be bothered in this time frame. Silly really as if you do it right away it's done. I am very against GM foods and I just don't see how they can prevent the seeds spreading in the areas where it is already being grown. There was a big deal here on TV the other day about the first delivery of GM Canola to the bins.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 09:34:30 am »
Yes Cookie - I noticed that article on that same link and there is to be some kind of rally there in Perth

Take Action: Rally at WA Parliament House
Date: Wednesday, 18th November 2009

Time: 12.00noon sharp (meet from 11.45am)

Where: Lawn at WA Parliament House, Perth

PLEASE COME AND HAVE YOUR SAY!!
http://no-gmo.asn.au/
http://www.truefood.org.au/newsandevents/?events=13

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:43:59 am »
Thanks Nay-Nay, could well be worth a trip into the city. I haven't marched on parliament house for a few years (since we had our last strike and were then docked about 0.01% of our pay everyday of our holidays as well as the day we were on strike, knew it wasn't worth it)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:09:16 pm »
This came from Additive Alert today:
You may be aware that our food regulator, FSANZ, have recently announced  a comprehensive review of our current food labelling law and policy.

The review is being undertaken by The Council of Australian Governments (COAG) and the Australia and New Zealand Food Regulation Ministerial Council (Ministerial Council) and their first round of public consultation closes this Friday 20 November.

This is a very important review ( they are few and far between) and has the scope to improve our labelling laws for food additives, genetically modified foods and nanotechnology. The way things stand at the moment there is no requirement for food labels to tell us  about  GM content or if products contain nanoparticles, despite the widespread concern about the long term safety of these ingredients.

Many of you may have already sent your comments in but, if you have not, then I urge you please to take 5 minutes to have your say. Just copy and paste the following paragraphs ( edit to add your own words if you want to) and send it to the Review Panel at FoodLabellingReview@health.gov.au no later than this Friday 20 November.

( Dont forget to add in your name and contact details at the end or else it will not be valid!!)

Thanks for your help!!

Best Regards
Julie

FOOD LABELLING REVIEW SUBMISSION

I wish to register my concerns about food labelling in Australia and request that proposed changes to the food labelling provisions in this country be amended to include the following changes:

FOOD ADDITIVES

Declare all food additives.

There currently exists a 5% loophole in our food standards code in relation to food additives, whereby if an ingredient comprises less than 5% of a food product then the food additives in that ingredient do not have to be declared on the label.  Many consumers wish to avoid certain food additives which are often not disclosed on the labels under this loophole. I request that the food labelling review ensure that this 5% loophole is removed and that the new legislation requires manufacturers to declare the presence of ALL food additives in products, no matter how small the quantity, to enable consumers to exercise informed choice.

Warning labels for harmful colours:

As a result of the 2007 Southampton study into the effect of some food colours on children’s behaviour, the EU has introduced legislation ,effective July 2010, requiring any products which continue to use the artificial colours 102, 110, 122, 124 129  to carry a warning label.  To ensure that Australian consumers enjoy the same level of protection as EU consumers , I request the food labelling review to ensure that  Australian products using the above 6 colours be required to carry a warning label advising consumers that these additives may have an adverse effect on attention and behaviour in some children.

Genetically modified content

I request that the food labelling review also ensure that all genetically modified content is clearly disclosed on labels to enable consumers to exercise informed  choice.

Nanoparticles

I request that products with ANY nanotechnology component be fully disclosed on the labelling also to ensure consumers can exercise informed choice.

Yours sincerely

( YOUR NAME ADDRESS AND CONTACT PHONE NUMBER)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 12:18:58 pm »
Thank you for this reminder.  I have just sent my submission in!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 02:09:10 pm »
Thanks for that copy and paste Nay-Nay. It's always hard to know what to say. I've sent mine off.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand