Author Topic: Bimby Chocolate Cake  (Read 348708 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Bimby Chocolate Cake
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2010, 10:51:17 am »
Gorgeous birthday cakes everyone! It's been some time since I've had to make a decorated birthday cake!
I've missed this thread, so have just trawled through all 10 pages! I now have the cake in the oven. I made 1/2 as much again as I had a big slab tin.
Will let you know!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2010, 12:32:41 pm »
Wonderful looking cake Carrie.We certainly have talented cake decoraters on the forum, keep up the good work everyone.
And I must try this cake.DH loves chocolate cake and I can then compare it to my chocolate fudge cake.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2010, 10:06:29 pm »
Finally tried this cake today after a friend brought back from the U.S, as a present, the "cookie" cake tins that I saw that Maddy had used in previous post.Turned out great and what a delicious cake it is.Different from my chocolate fudge cake but very yummy.My DH had a huge slice and enjoyed every crumb.Wonderful recipe ILB, many thanks.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:53 am »
Cooking a half measure of this (only had 2 eggs) for DH's birthday cake.  Review later :D

Ok, so I made this cake, and it turned out well (I think).  Then I waited, and iced it with the icing recipe earlier in this thread.  Anyway, the icing slowly sunk into the cake, and when I served it, it was like a mud cake with no icing!!

What did I do wrong?  I am thinking icing too runny, or cake still too warm, perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:14:11 pm by Caroline J »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2010, 03:28:04 pm »
Caroline it sounds as though your cake was still warm when you spread the icing.You can always make a custard and make it into a dessert for the family.Just think of it this way, all great recipes are created by mistakes!!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2010, 03:47:13 pm »
Mine rose too much in the middle, but, then again, it was a 6 egg mix! Will stick with the regular size next time. I cut it into three, iced one piece and froze the other two.

Loved the videos that someone linked in one of the eariler threads here - seriouscakes. Beautiful music too!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2010, 09:51:47 am »
Made this again today but substituted apple sauce for some of the butter & sugar. I had 200gm of apple sauce so only put in 85gm of butter & 255gm sugar. The cake is lovely & moist & being devoured as I type. This is my favourite chocolate cake recipe - it never fails no matter what I do to it. Thanks again ILB  :-*
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2010, 03:14:17 am »
Good idea VHJ. That way we can say it's healthy and eat more. :-))
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2010, 09:21:20 am »
Good idea VHJ. That way we can say it's healthy and eat more. :-))
Love your thinking Cookie1  :D :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline tassie_bugalugs

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2010, 06:54:10 am »
I have made this cake 4 times now.  In the last batch I knocked 20g off the butter and added 30g of olive oil.  I found this helped keep the cake a little bit moister.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2010, 11:47:58 am »
Good thinking Tassie Bugalugs  ;)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2010, 04:42:01 pm »
This is the BEST ever recipe for a slab cake! Will never order one again!! I covered it in mock cream from this recipe: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3468.0
And made the decoration consisting of their name and picture of a drum using this technique.
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCV2DZDuv9XA&h=553f9wRITO6Kpw_44IouzAsyzVQ

YUM!!! Will have to hunt down a piccy!

wow nay nay thanks for these links i love the first technique..never seen that before.  will be trying it out over the next couple of weeks with my kids bdays ..thanks for passing it on  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2010, 09:49:40 am »
Oh so glad you liked it too! I was amazed when I found it and it was so easy for some one like me who can't draw to save myself! Please post pictures.   ;)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2010, 09:43:21 pm »
well had my DS 5th bday party today and made the bimby cake as the base in a large slab tin (rectangular not square) to make a football field cake as thats what he wanted and we have a tradition in our family that the kids always get to choose the cake they want (usually out of the WW birthday cake book) then mum has to make it!  So here is this years effort for my DS..DD is next week so alot of cake for us for the next couple of weeks!

:)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2010, 02:03:43 am »
Looks good Frozzie, bet the kids love getting to choose their own design.  Can't wait to see what DD chooses and the posted picture. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.