Author Topic: 5 in 1 multicooker  (Read 91583 times)

Offline Thermobudgie

• View Profile
5 in 1 multicooker
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
I have a tiny tiny kitchen and was very pleased to be able to get rid of a few appliances when the TC moved in. I've now just purchased a 5 in 1 multicooker to replace my pressure cooker, rice cooker and slow cooker. All of the reviews on this machine are very positve which is a good start. I hope I don't regret chucking my old faithful slow cooker - it's about 30 years old  :D

It's so great to have more cupboard space in my little kitchen. Now with the TC and the multi cooker I'm going to be one busy cook!  Does anyone have one of these machines? I'd love to hear what you think of it and any favourite recipes.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: 5 in 1 multicooker
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 02:24:34 pm »
I have one of these as well and in fact used it tonight to make the Thai Beef Curry from it's cookbook. I'm very happy with it- especially the browning feature. I still have my rice cooker and will never get rid of it. Use it too often in tandem with the TMX & the 5 in 1. I hope you are happy with yours Thermobudgie
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 03:24:35 pm »
I have been looking at these too. I thought for about $160 it was good value. Trying to convince DH it's a good idea too. Said I could get rid of the rice cooker slow cooker and pressure cooker so I'd have more room in the kitchen!! Where did u get yours from, Thermobudgie and VHJ? I saw them advertised at the pressure cooker centre in Subiaco and also on eBay!!!
I'd be interested in what you think of the quality etc.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:59 pm »
So far I'm very happy with it Hools. I bought mine from House at Garden City when  then they had them on special for $149.
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:53:31 pm »
jan is there a min of liquid /food that u need to use ?
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:04:31 pm »
Yes there is a minimum but it's not much. Bowl holds 16 cups and the minimum is only about 3.5 cups. That's a combination of food and liquids
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:07:56 pm by Very Happy Jan »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:05:11 pm »
This is the product the girls are discussing for those who have never heard of it, like me :-))  Another product from the people who put out the Thermochef.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »
Having a TM,
I am not sure why you guys wouldneed to purchase this, The TM cooks the best rice, you can slow cook in the oven, so to me it would be for the pressure cooker?

Just interested.

VHJ, what made you purchase?

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:45 pm »
Mum used a pressure cooker a lot when I was little but it always terified me. Darn thing made lots of noise and threatened to blow up (never did). I remember she turned out some yummy meals very quickly using challenging cuts of meat  ;) so I was temped by the pressure cooker ability of the 5 in 1. I also  wanted a slow cooker that had a delay start and switched to warm when cooking finished. I sometimes do slow cook in the oven but was looking more at the days when I work away from home and can't do that.  This appliance wrapped all those things into something that took less room than my old slow cooker. So far so good with it ticking all the boxes for me.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:21:39 am »
Interested to read this thread as my poor old pressure cooker gave up a couple of weeks ago and I was looking at these. Am still tossing up as I'm not sure how well they'll last in comparison to just getting a new pressure cooker. I have a slow cooker and a rice cooker and had thought that I could have more cupboard space by getting rid of these if I bought the 5 in 1. One review I read said that because it is an electrical appliance it shouldn't be expected to last as long as a pressure cooker so that put me off a bit.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:16:19 am »
Does this work as well as a pressure cooker? I've been using my mum's old 1970's vintage pressure cooker and I love the winter dishes that I can make. The lid is really hard to remove and I've been thinking of an upgrade.....
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Thermobudgie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:16:11 pm »
Oh joy!! Cooked my first 5 in 1 meal and it was delish! Osso buco in 30 minutes, yummy shin meat melted in my mouth. That usually takes hours in the slow cooker or Dutch oven and the flavor was just as good. 

I really love the keep warm function, it was ready at 4pm and we didn't eat until 6. I was worried that keeping it warm might mean it would be over cooked but it did exactly what it was supposed to and kept it warm until we were ready for it.  Not the best meal to make on a 35C day but all plates were licked clean regardless.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »
I fully recommend getting the Womens Weekly books for the Pressure Cooker (yum yum, lots of good recipes), or maybe the Slow Cooker book (although I don't have a SC and have never bought the book  :-)) well, its because I can cook SO FAST in the pressure cooker -- same thing but different), and I've seen in the supermarket there is also a combined recipe book too . Its a good price but I'm not going there.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

mcmich

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »
Girls, You have me thinking.... I thought after I bought the thermomix I wouldn't need another kitchen appliance.
I have a slow cooker (mine is so old  - we use to call this a crock pot) which I love. I don't have a pressure cooker as they scare me. Maybe I need to get a 5 in 1 cooker?

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »
I agree that apart from the TM, the only other electrical appliances I use in the kitchen are my electric pressure cooker and my Kitchenaid mixer. The TM makes get rice and I  have given away my slow cooker  ( why do you need one when the pressure cooker makes a meal so quickly and makes meat so tender it seems like it has been in a slow cooker?). Like other posts, I absolutely love the pressure cooker cookbooks out at the moment eg the osso buco example- this takes 20-30 minutes in a pressure cooker and it tastes beautiful. Finally, current model pressure cookers are safe these days, whether electric or stovetop, as the safety mechanisms on them prevent the leaks and 'explosions' of past generations. It just doesn't happen anymore. I looked at the 5 in 1 cooker a while back and realized I didn't need it as it duplicates everything I can do already with just the TM and pressure cooker. Between the two appliances, you can get a fantastic meal on the table in next to no time.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein