Author Topic: Washing Machine Goo (Detergent)  (Read 107495 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Washing Machine Goo (Detergent)
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2009, 02:19:25 pm »
I keep the lid on mine ILB and yes, there is a strong smell of ammonia when you open the lid.  I just don't take a deep breath in whilst I am dishing out the goo and put the lid back on quick smart.  If you followed the recipe to a T, it would have been mixed enough so it wouldn't be anything you've done.  Perhaps you could wear a mask for that little task - you may just have a sensitive sinus system.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2009, 02:24:16 pm »
Thanks Judy - yes perhaps  I should try that  ;)  I make sure the laundry door is open as much as possible and stand next to it, but it doesn't help a huge amount.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2009, 02:35:41 pm »
Hi ILB  Just had a quick look on the web re ammonia substitutes and a suggestion was vinegar and water...don't know if you could try that instead - would that be safe for clothes and what sort of smell (if any) would it leave?  I haven't tried adding essential oils like others have suggested previously - maybe this would help?
I would be interested to hear others suggestions on the ammonia part too...
Ali
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2009, 03:13:30 pm »
A bit more research - I think we could substitute the ammonia with either vinegar or bi-carb.  I know that others have said in other threads that they use vinegar in the rinse cycle in their washing machines so it should be ok?

Below is a (non TM) recipe I found that had bi-carb instead.

2a. CLOTHES WASHING SOAP

1 cake pure soap, 1 cup washing soda, water, 3 buckets

Cut/grate the cake of soap into an old saucepan with 1 litre of water and bring to the boil. Puree mixture with a hand beater until smooth. Dissolve 1 cup of washing soda in 1 litre hot water. Strain the soap solution and divide between three buckets with the washing soda solution. Gradually fill each bucket with cold water, mixing with a wooden spoon as you go. It will set into a soft gel. Use 2-3 cups of solution to each wash. You can even use it as a hair shampoo if you wish!
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2009, 03:55:06 pm »
ILB I have the same problem where the ammonia also makes me feel like vomiting as well as the sinus burn, I have bought a 1L squeezy sauce bottle with a cap on the lid from the kitchen aisle in Coles and decant into that - with something over my face if DH isn't home to do it for me and it has really helped. I just squeeze the required amount into the detergent cup on my machine and away we go.  ;D ;D Much nicer
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2009, 02:10:14 pm »
Thanks for your tips everyone!  I really appreciate your help.  Might try the squeezy bottle first and try adding the lavendar oil when I make the mix instead of at the wash first and see if that helps maybe with JD's suggestion of a mask  ;) ;D

If not, then I'll try Ali's suggestion using vinegar or soda.

You are a wonderful bunch!

It's an amazing group we have on the forum with everyone ready to help  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2009, 11:16:39 pm »
Mine went very ammonia-ey at the end as well. It also changed from white to pink-ish.

My DH has been itchy lately and has gone back to regular powder, has anyone else had experiences like this? He is not sure yet if it was the goo or not.
Row

Offline ermy

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2009, 05:46:12 am »

Well i've just made my first batch of goo.

It is the middle of the day here so i'm hoping that i can test run it by about 10pm tonight.

I cut my bars of velvet soap up into 4 and blitzed them however i thought my thermomix was going to take off.  It was looking like a pretty big bumpy ride.  So i took the soap out and cut it into smaller bits.  Thermy liked that a bit better.

Will report back later with the outcome.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2009, 06:35:24 am »
i have just finished using my first batch, i thought it worked really well, you can certainly notice the difference in how clean the dishcloths come out!  I have quite sensitive skin where detergents are concerned and i didnt have any reaction to the clothes washed in the goo.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2009, 09:25:40 am »
Mine has stayed white Rowyfo and we have no reactions to it at all - love it in this house.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2009, 01:00:28 pm »
Mine is nearly 2 weeks old and is still white - not sure how old yours is Rowyfo. Miss 3 is prone to mild skin irritations but seems to be pretty good with this.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2009, 01:03:08 pm »
It's all good in this house and all 4 of my boys suffer (funny how DD doesn't lol) from eczema with DS4 being absolutely shocking - I was reluctant to start with to wash his clothes in it  :-)) :-)) Don't know why as it has nothing in it compared to  the package ones - even the sensitive ones have a lot of "stuff" in them  :(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2009, 01:06:09 pm »
Well there you go Kathryn, a great testimony to the goo if ever I've heard one ;) ;) ;) Anyone with any doubts should go ahead and try it after reading your story.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2009, 04:34:12 pm »
I know Judy, but it is scary to make the change as you have to deal with all the allergy symptoms that go with it if it isn't suitable. Sometimes it just feels like better the devil you know  :-\ I am just so happy that it is all ok in my house  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2009, 01:38:46 am »
We're on a new batch now. I guess the other one got to about 4-5 weeks old. The soap was white when I made it, it just got a pinkish tinge.

I kept it in a large plastic juice bottle, I wonder if the plastic had anything to do with it.
Row