Author Topic: What's your favourite muffin recipe of all time???  (Read 22041 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: What's your favourite muffin recipe of all time???
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 05:11:53 pm »
YAY!  Got the muffin top tins finally and cant wait to try them out.  Couple of questions for those that use them:  do you cook the muffins for a shorter period of time because there is less batter in each hole?  Also, do you reduce the quantity of the recipe since there is less batter in each hole, or do you just make more?

I bake mine, depending on the ingredients in the batter, for about 2/3 the time needed for regular muffins.
If the batter contains a generous percentage of wet stuff, such as bananas or other fruits, it can take longer.
Press down on the center of one and see if it resists or springs back, indicated doneness.  If you can push down easily and it doesn't immediately spring back, it is not yet done and needs another five minutes. 
I have noted that they take longer to bake on very humid days and less time when it is very dry.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2011, 09:23:06 am »
Here is my all-time favourite muffin recipe - but I have had not much luck converting it to TMX.  The muffins come out flat and tough.  Maybe someone else can help ......

RASPBERRY COCONUT MUFFINS:

125 grams butter, softened
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
3 eggs
75g (½ cup) plain flour
35g (¼ cup) SR flour
¼ cup fine dessicated coconut
80g (⅓ cup) sour cream
150 grams frozen raspberries
ICING
30 grams butter, softened
80 grams cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon coconut essence
1 ½ cups icing sugar

Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 fan-forced)
Cream the butter and sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating in well.
Add flours, coconut and sour cream. Beat in well.
Add raspberries and fold through mixture.
Place mixture into patty pans.
Bake 35-40 minutes in a moderate oven.
ICING: Beat together cream cheese, butter and coconut essence.  Add icing sugar and beat in.
GARNISH: Remove paper cases and spread with icing. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Place extra raspberries on top.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, 10:02:01 am »
KJH, the nearest thing I could find to this recipe was this one for Passionfruit, mango & coconut muffins on the Recipe Community so going by her directions you would put the flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream and butter into the TM bowl and mix for 10 seconds/speed 9 then add the coconut and raspberries which I would mix for 5 seconds/reverse/speed 2.
How do you thing that sounds compared to what you have tried? Is this too easy to work?
The icing is simple enough, just throw everything in and mix until combined.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:47:27 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2011, 09:00:34 am »
KJH, they look amazing!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2011, 09:22:11 am »
Thanks JD - that does sound to easy to be true - but I often think that of TMX recipes, and they turn out just great!  I was trying to do the traditional cream butter and sugar method using the TMX, and ended up beating things a lot more than in your suggestion ......... maybe that is what I was doing wrong - overmixing things.

Have run out of time this weekend to try - but will try your method soon and keep you posted.  These muffins really are sensational, and worth the effort of getting the conversion for TMX right - or even worth doing the conventional method!!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2011, 05:25:45 am »
I've got my fingers and toes crossed that they work using the TM KJH - they certainly look like they are worth the calories  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:29 pm »
Was just searching for a recipe for Raspberry & Coconut muffins and came across this thread.

Karen, curious as to whether you ever found a good TMX conversion for your recipe?

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 11:57:16 pm »
Not really VieveMS - I still do these using a hand held beater, because I usually do a double batch which would be too much for the TMX anyway. 

I have done them in the TMX using the method JD suggested earlier in this thread, and they are OK and still taste the same, just the texture is not quite as light.

I have also posted this recipe in the "non-TMX recipes" section because they were so popular at our recent get together!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2012, 12:08:42 am »
Thanks Karen.  I might try it in the TMX anyway.

Found your recipe in the Non-Thermomix section now.  It didn't come up in my original search as my search criteria was "raspberry coconut".  They do look delicious and raspberry & coconut together is a winning combination in my book!

I'm glad I found this thread as I'd never heard of "muffin top" tins either.  It is amazing what you learn from this forum.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2012, 12:15:37 am »
I make a double choc muffin
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 12:23:48 am »
Apple tea cake in muffins would be DHs favourite, Girls love anything sweet or savoury, I only do savoury ones...tho I'm not a big muffin fan.  :)
:D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 02:13:28 am »
I don't like muffins, either. I prefer patty cakes. I do make muffin sized ones, but they're just lighter than actual muffins. That said, I'm going to try the Whole Orange Muffin Muffins from the Best Recipes link posted earlier in the thread.
I'll also have a go at Karen's Raspberry Coconut Muffins on the weekend for bowls afternoon tea.

JD, that link you posted doesn't work anymore. Perhaps the original poster has removed their recipes from the Recipe Community.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 03:48:05 am »
Thanks MJ, revisited the site and it is working now.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.