Author Topic: A new experience  (Read 7119 times)

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
A new experience
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:15:06 am »
Hi Everyone

I've had my thermomix for a week now and have been trying some recipes - with some successes and some failures. I haven't had much luck with mains, but I'm not sure if that's just my cooking, or the recipes from the EDC?? I'm not a fantastic cook but love the idea of more healthy eating for my family (DH, plus 3 young kiddies) and also the timesaving factor of the TMX. I will keep perservering but hope I haven't made a wrong decision buying it.

Thanks

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: A new experience
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 02:21:35 am »
welcome virgo9, you're in the right place for lots of ideas and recipes. start small in learning your TM and make some of the basics, and then try some of the mains on this site and I am sure you will have lots of yummy successes. the first time i would always follow the recipe, and then if you think it needs a little tweaking of your own next time you will know where to do it.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:35:46 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I feel you will have more success and boost your confidence if you try some of the recipes featured on this forum.  I only use my Everyday Cook Book for timings if I'm not sure when using my own recipes.  Good luck I know you will succeed!!!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:31:30 am »
Virgo9 we all go through those feelings. At least the cost makes us persevere until we come to realise how much we depend on the machine. As Trudy suggested try some things from the forum as they are lovely. It does take a while to get used to the machine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Pam_H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 08:46:00 am »
Welcome virgo9 I agree with Trudy, try some of the recipes on this forum and you will soon love your Thermomix, I felt the same when I first got mine but absolutely love it now and dont know how  I did without it ;D

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:36:42 am »
Hi there,
I've only had my TM for 2 day and so far I've only had the courage to do really simple stuff like a cake, a slice & custard.  I totally understand your fear with the mains.  That's my stumbling block at the moment.  Tonights the night though!  If all else fails.... there's always eggs on toast for dinner! ha ha
At least there is lots of supportive people on here to help, guide and support us.
We need to throw caution to the wind and just go for it.
Goodluck! & keep posting on here so we can see how you're going with it.
Cheery bye
Jodi
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:01 am »
Hi virgo9, welcome to the forum. I bought my TMX for mains so was determined that was going to be my main use.  I cook 90% of my main meals in it but I am also cooking more desserts, cakes and biscuits than I ever did before.  Then there's the bread and the cocktails.  It is a total package and we are really spoilt for choice on this forum - recipes for every taste. Once you settle in with your machine you will not regret buying it - any questions, please ask.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:27:19 am »
Welcome to the world of TMX - don't be frightened by this miracle machine!  The support and advice from the 'pros' on this forum is invaluable and available 24/7, and I am definitely not in that category (a pro that is) having been an owner for the last couple of months.  Take a journey through the mains pages of this site - reading the comments of members about EDC recipes and personal recipe adaptations will quickly allay any concerns you may be having.  Enjoy your new culinary experiences via the TMX.

Cheers
Robyn - aka johnro
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:16:30 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 10:56:36 am »
I agree with what's been said. I took a while to get the hang of main meals in the TMX and wasn't overly happy with my initial results. I ended up making lots of cakes and after school snacks and such like but kept trying the mains and as I got more comfortable with the machine was able to be more confident with the mains. My family's reactions to the mains when I started although didn't help my confidence, but going back and doing some of the same ones again now, I get a much more enthusiastic response to the meals. My first main was the beef stroganoff that I made for my parents who were more than happy with it and that is a good, simple recipe that should give you good results.
Do let us know how you get on and do kept trying.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »
Welcome Virgo9 to the forum.I agree with everyone the mains are difficult but not impossible.Once you have cracked that first wonderful result, it will all fall into place.I know when I had disasters I had doubts, mainly because of the cost of the machine.Keep trying and we will get you over this hiccup. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:55:42 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 04:40:33 pm »
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your words of support and encouragement. It's good to know that there is a place I can come to voice my concerns and ask questions, with so many people willing to share ideas and give constructive advice. So far my successes have included the Bimby chocolate cake, foccacia, cheesymite scrolls, pumpkin soup, pizza dough and anzac biscuits. I will have a go at mains again soon, but will firstly concentrate on the 'basics' as has been suggested to me. I have been looking on the forum at lots of different recipes and there are so many I want to try. Everyone is so enthusiastic about their TMX's and I'm sure with time, patience and practise, that I will be too!!

Thanks again for such a lovely welcome
Lisa

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 01:44:19 am »
Nice to read of your successes virgo9 - now we just need to hear some successes for mains and you are on the right track.

Offline Mida Made

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 03:38:07 am »
Hello, Like you, I am also a very new user. I am thrilled with my results overall but I have a few questions... The EDC rarely gives the number of serves that the recipe gives so I am not sure if I am cookig for one or an army.
For example 160 gm of oats and 650 ml of liquid for porridge...then only 40 gm more oats for a 'Family' serve. There are only 2 of us most days - I would only use 1/2 cup in the microwave. If I reduce quantities, do I reduce the cooking time? I know it is trial and error and I will enjoy trying.
 However I can heartily reccommend the Beef Rendang and the Dahl recipes. I also made the Paratha recipe I found on this website and they were perfect! My Beef Stroganoff was a bit watery!!! Have also made the Macaron recipe also from this website - very good!
It is nice to know there are so many helpful people out there to help the newwbies through the first days

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 08:02:11 am »
Mida Made congratulations on doing the macaron recipe.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 11:14:47 am »
Hi Mida Made, welcome to the forum.  I agree that all recipes should show the number of serves but the only ones I have that do are the Indian, Full Steam Ahead and My Way of Cooking.