Author Topic: Sausage Casserole with Dumplings (with photos)  (Read 11354 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Sausage Casserole with Dumplings (with photos)
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:59:32 pm »
Sausage Casserole with Dumplings
Serves 6

A good, old-fashioned 'comfort food' meal - I love dumplings!  :)

1.  Place in Thermomix and chop on speed 5 for 3 seconds:
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 1 celery stick, quartered
- 1 red capsicum, halved

2.  Add and cook at 100 degrees, 4 minutes, speed 1:
- 1 Tblspn sweet paprika, ground
- 30g olive oil or butter

3.  Add to bowl:
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tblspns (or so) tomato paste
- 1 Tblspn vege stock paste
- 2 Tblspns balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tblspn Rapadura
- 200g water

4. Place Varoma on lid of bowl and place sausages inside:
- 700g thin beef sausages
(Space sausages apart to let steam through and place lid on top.)

5.  Cook on Varoma temperature for 20 minutes, reverse speed 1, or until sausages are cooked through.

6.  Cut sausages in half and remove to a large casserole dish.  Pour sauce over sausages and cover with lid or foil.  (Casserole shouldn't come above halfway up sides of dish, or it may overflow, like mine did!)  Turn on oven to 200 degrees C and place casserole dish in oven while you make the dumplings.  (Rinse and dry Thermomix bowl.)

Dumplings:

1. Grind grain in Thermomix bowl for 1 minute, speed 9:
- 200g spelt grain

2.  Add and process on speed 9 for 10 seconds:
- a large handful of fresh parsley

3.  Add and mix for 5 seconds, speed 5:
- 100g white spelt flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt

4.  Add and mix on speed 5 until just mixed:
- 180g rice-almond milk (or other milk)
- 60g oil (olive/macadamia/grapeseed)

5.  Take casserole out of oven and drop heaped tablespoonfuls of dough onto top (using a tablespoon and butter knife), cover with lid (or loosely with foil), making sure there's room for dumplings to rise, and return to oven.  

6.  Cook for 20 minutes then remove lid/foil and cook until done and lightly browned on top.  (Pull two dumplings apart in centre with forks to check if done.)

Enjoy!

members' comments

cathy79 - Jo, this is divine!  The girls loved their "sausage and cake" dinner and we all loved the hearty richness of the sauce. I used a zucchini and half a head of broccoli instead of the carrot and whole wheat grain instead of spelt.  Fantastic adaptable recipe, perfect for this cold weather.  A great way to stretch 6 sausages to feed approx 5 people.

snoozie - Absolutely delicious.  Another winner!!! I think I overdid the parsley though as my dumplings are green!

Carrie - Omgosh this recipe is yum, thank you Quirky Jo. I did it a little different due to what we had on hand - I used all plain flour,  had no celery so used a leek instead. Had no tomato paste so just omitted it, made no difference that I can tell!  DS who normally doesn't like 'saucey' things, before even tasting them, declares "I don't like it" .... well he loves this. Especially the "dumpings".

CC - we all thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I only used 1Tbsp of balsamic vinegar and 1tsp of dark brown sugar in the sauce. Halved the dumpling recipe as there is only three of us. Delicious.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:22:59 pm by judydawn »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Sausage Casserole with Dumplings (with photos)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 02:03:45 pm »
Jo, this is divine!  The girls loved their "sausage and cake" dinner and we all loved the hearty richness of the sauce.

I used a zucchini and half a head of broccoli instead of the carrot, and whole wheat grain instead of spelt.  Fantastic adaptable recipe, perfect for this cold weather.  And a great way to stretch 6 sausages to feed approx 5 people.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:34:57 pm »
Jo this looks like another winning recipe that I will keep in mind for the winter.It's 31 degrees C here today so it's salad and ice cream time.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:07:27 am »
Yum Jo. I love dumplings too both sweet and savoury.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:43:02 am »
Good work Quirky Jo - dumplings really are comfort food - so filling too.  Yum  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 10:11:48 am »
This is in the oven right now.  I wasn't faithful to the original so fingers crossed I haven't muffed it!!!!  I think my kids my eat my arms off if I have they reckon they're that hungry!!!!

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 10:58:07 am »
Absolutely delicious.  Another winner!!! I think I overdid the parsley though as my dumplings are green! hehehe

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 11:52:35 am »
Ha ha - green dumplings!!  cool!  glad you liked it  :D

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:25 am »
Omgosh this recipe is yum, thank you Quirky Jo.

I did it a little different due to what we had on hand - I used all plain flour, and had no celery so used a leek instead. Had no tomato paste so just omitted it, made no difference that I can tell!

DS who normally doesn't like 'saucey' things, before even tasting them, declares "I don't like it"  :-)) ... well he loves this. Especially the "dumpings" lol.

Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 07:59:27 pm »
While rooting around on my freezer to see what I could cook for supper, as I had no inclination to go shopping, I found some beef sausages.I then realized that I had bought them ages ago to make Jo's recipe.Wonderful recipe,we all thoroughly enjoyed the meal.I only used 1Tbsp of balsamic vinegar and 1tsp of dark brown sugar in the sauce.Halved the dumpling recipe as there is only three of us.
Thanks Jo, another winner. :)
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 11:30:43 pm »
Glad you liked it!  Probably most people would find half the dumplings enough - I love them, so I like more, but it does make an awful lot! And if you like it saucier, do less dumplings.  Anyway, I'm off to the post office to post your prize, CC!!  yippee....  ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »
Made this again for our supper this evening.Delicious :)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:02:02 am »
That's so funny - I haven't made these for ages and I just started making them for dinner tonight, then saw your comment! :D Got a heap of dead ripe tomatoes at the food festival yesterday when the vege stalls were packing up... lots of cheap veges - yay!! (Organic too!)