Author Topic: What is/was your day job :)  (Read 65362 times)

mcmich

Re: What is/was your day job :)
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2012, 07:48:50 am »
 I'm an RN in a surgical ward and I love it most of the time. I left high school and went straight and did my training.
I can't do anything else, don't know how to work a cash register and I only type at about 6 words a minute.
I applied about 14 times for MacDonalds when I wanted a change about 8 years ago.
I think the trouble was in applying online. They just couldn't tell what a "Do You Want Fries With That" sort of girl I am.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2012, 10:28:10 am »
I applied about 14 times for MacDonalds when I wanted a change about 8 years ago.
I think the trouble was in applying online. They just couldn't tell what a "Do You Want Fries With That" sort of girl I am.

I think you had a lucky escape there McMich!  I couldn't image you working at Macca's.

My job is administration manager at a small Solicitor's office.  I mainly do accounting and some HR/office management stuff.  The law firm I work at deals mainly with family law, so unfortunately most of our clients are going through rough times (divorce, property settlements, children's custody etc).  It certainly gives you a reality check and makes you appreciate your own life and OH a bit more.

I work a full-time job in 4 days, which means 4 long days of work but then I get every Friday off to do whatever I want.  This normally means washing, cleaning, shopping, cooking and generally pottering around at home - but I love it and I love being at home.

Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline flavourofthemonth

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2012, 10:40:09 am »
I work as the office manager for an equine vet practice. I love it!  :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2012, 11:18:37 am »
What a fantastic thread! It's wonderful to see the diversity of the members of this forum. And there are so many people in caring professions! I love it! You are all fantastic :-* :-* :-*

I am yet to reach the "professional" stage. I am currently just a cleaner, but I'm studying Nutritional Medicine through a natural therapies college, and I'm also undertaking a Personal Training course. So hopefully I'll have some letters after my name one day! :D

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2012, 11:31:47 am »
What a fascinating thread this is.  I love reading about what everyone has done.

For many years, I was a SAHM which I absolutely loved.  It meant I was able to be home for my 3 children, but at the same time volunteer at their school.  I started helping with reading, taught religious ed. joined mother's club and school council.  At the same time, I taught sunday school, became a Brownie/Guide leader and was secretary to the local Scout group.

Once the children began their university studies, I opened a furniture store and ran that for many years till ill health  finally caught up with  me (I have MS) and had to cut my working hours.  My DH gave up his job, and now runs the furniture store full time so I can  stay home.  I still do the accounts from home, and drop into the shop occasionally to help out at busy times or to train staff.

I'm loving being home, playing with my three grandchildren, and cooking.  Life doesn't get any better than this  :-\
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:32 pm »
I am yet to reach the "professional" stage. I am currently just a cleaner, but I'm studying Nutritional Medicine through a natural therapies college, and I'm also undertaking a Personal Training course. So hopefully I'll have some letters after my name one day! :D

Amy there is no such word as 'Just a cleaner', every job is important no matter the title. A SAHM, a lawyer a cleaner, landscaper a doctor or the pope, doesn't matter cause they are all important. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2012, 12:26:05 pm »

Amy there is no such word as 'Just a cleaner', every job is important no matter the title. A SAHM, a lawyer a cleaner, landscaper a doctor or the pope, doesn't matter cause they are all important. :)

Thanks Mandi. You're very kind :-*

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2012, 01:12:47 pm »
i was a hairdresser for 20 years i think and after that  restaurant cook for 10 years but have done many types of jobs over the years. my fav was working at a biscuit factory doing the afternoon shift. 

at the moment  i am working part time for my son in his restaurant
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »
Worked for Westpac in almost every capacity until starting maternity leave in 2005. Three children later I resigned in November 2011 after almost 6.5yrs mat leave.

I work 2 days a week in our caryard and the rest of the week is spent either at school assisting or at home with the 2 younger ones.
Kylie

mcmich

« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2012, 10:47:52 pm »
i was a hairdresser for 20 years i think and after that  restaurant cook for 10 years but have done many types of jobs over the years. my fav was working at a biscuit factory doing the afternoon shift. 

at the moment  i am working part time for my son in his restaurant

Was that at the Peek Freans Factory Uni?

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2012, 10:58:06 pm »
I was a secretary after school and business college then got married and was a SAHM until the last few years, I have been working part time in a Solicitors office.  On the 2nd July I start full time work for the first time in over 20 years I hope I survive, I will be a Receptionist.

007rocket

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2012, 02:31:37 am »
I currently a SAHM to two boys (6 & 2), previously worked as a medical receptionist have been trying to get back into health administration but finding it very difficult so have just signed up as a TM consultant, I start selling next week :)

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2012, 04:12:39 am »
Hi Michelle, I think you're better off not working at MacDonald's.

I worked for one the the four banks for many years and for the last twenty years I was a SAHM for our two children. Our young people are now 25 and 26 and have left home to follow their carriers. I did some administrative work in recent years but now I like being at home with DH who has retired recently. We both like travelling mainly to Europe and Asia. Besides travelling we're busy renovating our house and of course we're getting a new kitchen. I can't wait until the renos are finished :) because at the moment we're living in two rooms. :)

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2012, 05:17:08 am »
Wow what an interesting read. Both mine and DH's occupations have been covered in the earlier parts of this thread as well(!). I'm a paediatric Speech Pathologist (part time/part time SAHM), and we have our own business Lifetime Distributors which my husband runs. I will be full time at home in October as baby no. 3 due then-very exciting. 

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2012, 07:41:38 am »
Mine's pretty boring - financial analyst for an IT company (the big blue one). I work part-time, have done for about 8 years, constantly fending off questions about when i will return to full time work (hopefully never but I can't tell them that!) Previously I've worked in hospitality & retail.
Melbourne, inner north