Author Topic: cream  (Read 21739 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
cream
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:45:55 am »
Can you use whipping cream to make butter or does it need to be pure cream? I think there will be a few brownes whipping cream containers on sale tomorrow at my local supermarket......as they are close to the use by date.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: cream
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:36:15 am »
Meagan I have heard mixed reports on this. Unless someone comes back and reports otherwise, I would certainly buy at least one to try for butter and see how you go (then report back to us lol  ;) ;))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:16 pm »
I know I have come very close to making butter accidently with whipping cream. ;)  20 seconds and it was almost butter!!!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:17:27 pm »
I have tried whipping cream and it worked out fine. One day I will give the thickened cream a go just to see what happens, but I don't tend to think it would work quite as well.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 12:25:46 pm »
does whipping cream have gelatine in it?

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 02:08:07 pm »
I've made butter only about 3 times so far, but have used whipping cream everytime Meagan (I thought this was what we were supposed to use - oops!,obviously didn't read that recipe properly  ;D ;D). Anyway, it turned out fine as far as I can tell  :D.  Ignorance is bliss  ;D ;D
I have no idea what makes whipping cream different to thickened cream....quick net search - one site said thickened cream has gelatin added......sure some of the amazing foodies on this forum will know the answer!! ;D
Ali
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:56:50 pm »
*sigh* it is me that has caused the confusion!! SORRY  :-[ :-[ I use whipping cream all the time...today for some reason I read the post as thickened cream duh.   :o  I am not sure about thickened cream as yes it does have gelatine in it. The recipe for butter just says to use fresh cream lol.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 03:33:59 pm »
Ok cool off I trot to the supermarket tomorrow morning then to ask them to mark down the cream that is one day from use by date- hopefully it didn't all sell this afternoon! ;)
I was just confused because you can buy 'pure cream' as apposed to whipping and then thickened.

NB Kathryn did you hear from Harvey fresh about the 10Lt cream?

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 04:10:34 pm »
No didn't hear from them, I asked about the 20lt, they might have thought I was joking. DH is actually going to ring them. If they will sell it to us from there it is worth our while probably to take a drive and then just have a butter day. Would be happy to buy on behalf of others if we get the nod. Will keep you informed  ;)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:25:37 am »
Cool let me know what they say Kathryn. They got back to me about the 2lt cream and said most places don't stock it as it is mainly a catering size but that anywhere that sold the 600ml could get the 2lt if you requested it. She said it generally retails for around $7-8

On another note I went to the supermarket early this morning and collected up the cream that was use by tomorrows date and took it to the front desk and then someone came and marked them down for me :) so I got 4cartons of 600ml cream for $4.16 total...pays to be cheeky ;)

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 08:49:49 am »
Sure does!!  ;) ;)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 04:39:48 am »
I'm posting this under this subject because we are talking about cream.... Last night we needed some custard real quick (and the shops were shut). The only thing we had available was Hi-Lo (skinny) milk so I thought we'd use it as there shouldn't be "too much" of a difference being milk. Well, there is. It sort of curdled and looked like custard gone wrong (cos it was). Taste was there, but looks were funny. Was a good experiment though and we still ate it, but will never do this again. Hope this helps someone else in the future.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 06:14:24 am »
If your custard curdles you can rescue it by adding 30ml cold milk and blending at speed 8 for 30 seconds. This works as it has happened to me twice; I have since discovered that cooking the custard at 70 for a bit longer works much better - can go up to 80 for 3 or 4 minutes to thicken.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:51:33 am by Shayla »

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 06:18:25 am »
Meagan If you had asked me about making butter from whipping/ thickened cream I would have said no as I make butter all the time but... ;D I had about 300 mls leftover thickened cream I was saving to make ice cream and thought I would try so I did just now and it made butter fine. I did not save the buttermilk from it though as  usually do. I usually put the buttermilk in the freezer and use it at a later date to make bread, scones or pancakes.

So there you have  it. I often see thickend cream marked down but rarely normal cream as the supermarkets here seem to buy only just enough! I have used double cream when it has been cheap enough and that makes yummy butter.

I say go for it. From now on when I see either cheap I will be making butter or ice cream. No wonder I have put on 5 kilos since buying my thermomix.
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 07:13:50 am »
I understand the 5 kilos Gretchen.

I always use hi-lo milk for custard and have never had any problems.  In fact that is all we ever have in the house.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/