Author Topic: Pistachio and lemon cupcakes  (Read 11014 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Pistachio and lemon cupcakes
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:37:24 am »
This delicious recipe is converted from one by David Herbert in the Weekend Australian Magazine

Pistachio and Lemon Cupcakes
Makes 10-12

CAKE:
50g unsalted pistachio nuts
125g caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
125g butter, softened
125g SR flour
2 eggs
45g milk

ICING:
330g icing sugar
30g soft butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons boiling water

Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 fan forced) and line a muffin tin with patty cases
Place pistachio nuts, sugar and lemon rind in TMX and whizz for 10 seconds speed 9.
Add remaining ingredients and whizz speed 4-5 for 20 seconds, scrape down sides and mix another 10 seconds.
Spoon batter into patty cases and bake 15-20 minutes until golden and firm to touch.  A skewer should come out clean.
Set aside to cool completely.

I made the icing with a hand-held beater, but you could do it in a clean TMX by mixing all the ingredients speed 4-5 for about 15 seconds.  Add just enough boiling water to get the consistency you like.

Ice with lemon icing and garnish with a pistachio nut.

NOTE:  the butter needs to be quite soft to mix in properly.

I used a medium muffin tin and filled them fairly full. It made 10.  The recipe I converted it from said it should make 12 though.

members' comments

KarenH - after making these again I think I prefer a cream cheese based lemon icing to the one listed in the recipe.  I found the icing made with pure icing sugar a wee bit sickly ..... just a thought but up to your own taste entirely.

jessie36 - these are the best cupcakes I have ever eaten, not too sweet and the nuts give it a lovely texture and taste. I used your icing as was running out of time but added a couple of drops of red colouring as it was pink ribbon day and had to add colour. Made two batches standard size and then the mini sized ones - absolutely divine.  If I need cupcakes to make - these will be first choice.  Had 2 for breakfast this morning.   I didn't have enough pistachio nuts so used hazel nuts, combined the two and the result were beyond description.  Just lovely.

Moo2 - These are so yummy. One of my favourite cup cakes to make and to eat.

jai9 - These are delicious. So light and moist. I made them for mothers group today and they were a big hit. Easy to make too, I whipped them up while DS 2 1/2 was having lunch.

Bonsai - These are lovely. I iced them with a mix of cream cheese and melted white chocolate tinted green - all my staff loved them.

kezza - Very easy and yummy.

Cuilidh - they are so delicious and very easy to make.  Didn't get a chance to ice them, they seemed to disappear somehow ... I don't understand how that happened!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:03:16 pm by judydawn »
Karen in Adelaide

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
Re: Pistachio and lemon cupcakes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:00 am »
Gotta try this one.  Anything with lemon sounds good to me

I'll give it a go this weekend.
I do the best I can

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:14:08 pm »
These sound lovely and are something different. Thanks Karen.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:56:49 am »
sounds great, yum
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:19:36 am »
what size muffin tin did you use, small patty cake size / medium muffin / texan ?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:33:26 am »
I used a medium muffin tin, and filled them fairly full, and it made 10.  The recipe I converted it from said it should make 12 though.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:34:32 am »
ta  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline jessie36

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 11:26:24 am »
These sound absolutely divine and will be for our pink ribbon day on thursday Im sure the ladies will love them.
Jessie

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 11:55:24 am »
They are a really lovely cupcake Jessie36 ...... after making these again, I think I prefer a cream cheese based lemon icing to the one listed in the recipe.  I found the icing made with pure icing sugar a wee bit sickly ..... just a thought, but up to your own taste entirely.

I would love to hear how they go!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline jessie36

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:27:33 am »
Thank you for that I was wondering what icing to use, I have plenty of yogurt so I will drain and adding icing sugar and use instead of cream cheese. I have used this before and no-one guessed it wasn't cream cheese.  Might add a little ground pistachio nut into it as well for extra bling.
Jessie

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 01:54:28 am »
Great idea for the icing Jessie!  Just make sure the butter is well softened for this one - I leave it out on the bench overnight to be certain.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline jessie36

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 11:38:44 pm »
Well karen  what can I say, these are the best cupcakes I have ever eaten, not too sweet and the nuts give it a lovely texture and taste, I used your icing as was running out of time but added a couple of drops of red colouring as it was pink ribbon day and had to add colour, made two batches standard size and then the mini sized ones absolutely divine any cupcakes to make these will be first choice.  Had 2 for breakfast this morning.  will sent a photo of them sitting on the plate. thanks
Jessie

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 11:40:16 pm »
Ooh on my to do list :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:28 pm »
Gotta make these after reading Jessie's review, thanks Karen and Jessie ;D ;D

Offline jessie36

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 09:39:11 am »
 :) Ladies please make them I never thought that making cupcakes can be this easy, the end result is in the tasting.  I am sure you will all love them.  I must admit I cheated a little didn't have enough pistachio nuts so used hazel nuts combined the two the result beyond description.  Just lovely.  One thing was the batter meant to be runny, if so i didn't add enough milk, I used coconut milk as had that open that probably give it a different taste and flavour as well.  Considering I'm not a very good cake baker I was pleasantly surprised, that why the accolades.  Most cupcakes and just that plain batter this is special.  Lovely.
Jessie