Author Topic: What made you buy your Thermomix?  (Read 60493 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Re: What made you buy your Thermomix?
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2010, 02:20:54 pm »
That's great, Salval - that made me remember that I used to get a sick, nervous tummy when we were having visitors for dinner - haven't had it for years!!  I think the Thermomix gave me a lot more confidence in the kitchen too!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2010, 01:54:46 pm »
Ummm, had heard about it and did some research and was very interested but the cost put me off. But it was there in the back of my mind for a year or so.
Then one of my mother's group friends suggested having a demo for one of our mother's groups. I was very much yes as I wanted one anyway, but was still at the some time in the future when I have the money thing.
Loved the demo.
Then spent months walking around the supermarket justifying the cost (ie what I could make cheaper).
Decided I had to have one.
Coming up for my birthday and bonus time and after saving had a demo at mine and got dh to buy it for my birthday.
so it was quite a long process but I had plenty of reading and planning time, lol. (had ridiculous number of hours on this forum before I bought, lol)
My children have no allergies (I have minimal - peanut and coconut) and are actually fine with additives, but I rather they don't have them and am finding it great making all their snacks etc from scratch.
I find a lot of our main meals are so much quicker and easier (or longer but tastier, lol).
We experiment more.
I'm not a sweet person so my kids are loving me trying out cakes etc.
Our food shopping costs are def lower.
Our rubbish is significantly lower. Hardly any red (rubbish) or even (yellow) recycling - guess buying more bulk items.
Have had the TMX 3 months now and think we are at the level we will continue to use it at. Most days 2-3 times, big days more, odd days say once a month none. And using it for 80%  of main meals I guess.
Quick easy pasta dishes for my kids (their fav) are a godsend.

Offline foxycoxy

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »
I had heard about them on other cooking forums I've been on and everyone that had one seemed to rave about them. Then my hubby saw one in a house during his work and booked me in for a demo. He said that if I liked it I should buy one. Well who can argue with that? I fell in love at the demo and took his advice.

I'm still learning how to drive it, but have had it for three weeks now and have used it almost every day. I used it today to make bread dough for the first time plus cooked a soup for lunch - all ready in an hour. And this evening I cooked rice in it - I think it's just the best rice cooker. I used it earlier in the week for sushi rice and it came out perfect  :)
Rich is not how much you have or who you are.....Rich is who you have beside you.

Offline KarenT

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2010, 10:19:03 am »
I've had my baby for about a month - saw it first on the episode of 'Come Dine with Me' and became obsessed with finding out about it. I went to a demo and bought it the same day........had to wait two weeks - and then - love love love  :-))

I use it every day - I cook a lot anyway so am not afraid of tweaking and inventing as I go - sometimes with more success than at other times - my kids are guinea pigs and are coping well! I think I must have made the hummus about a hundred times - and am now being asked for it by friends - so am now a dealer too .............happily I don't have to hang out in unlit alleys.........!

Nutella is a big hit, the sticky date pudding was unbelievable - I have never been a cake maker but now have the confidence to make more.

The other day I took it to visit my parents - made hummus, cheese souffle (which probably needs more tweaking - is it supposed to be runny in the middle?) cheese sauce for the cauliflower cheese and sorbet - did my own demo!!

I have realized that my idea of a blissful day off is supermarket in the morning - and bonding with my Bimbi in the afternoon - I need a bigger freezer.............

I have a chicken curry recipe passed down to me by my mum, who got it from Lee Kuan Yew (the old Prime Minister of Singapore's) mother - which works every time - is the easiest recipe ever and tastes wonderful.......my next project is to convert it, and, if I'm successful, will post it here, if that's ok.

Blah blah blah........... sorry for rambling but when a girl's in love...........what's a girl to do?!

Love Karen xx

PS - I also love the recipes you clever people post on this site - I've started a Bimbi recipe file - so am unashamedly stealing your ideas!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2010, 10:25:10 am »
haha KarenT you are only a 1 file -just you wait, they multiply. Welcome and great to hear you are in love.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2010, 01:35:52 pm »

I have a chicken curry recipe passed down to me by my mum, who got it from Lee Kuan Yew (the old Prime Minister of Singapore's) mother - which works every time - is the easiest recipe ever and tastes wonderful.......my next project is to convert it, and, if I'm successful, will post it here, if that's ok.

Is that OK?  It certainly is KarenT, can't wait to see that one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2010, 02:20:23 pm »
Yeh, go for it KT!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »
Can't wait KarenT, like Creampuff says, Yeh, go for it.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2010, 09:14:18 am »
KarenT your excitement is wonderful and we all understand. Thermomix recipes are like wire coat hangers, they multiply when you aren't looking. I have a full file of tried and true recipes and a very over stuffed file of ones to try.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline whisks

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2010, 11:44:41 am »
i know lee kuan yew's mum also had a very good achar recipe - i'd love to know any of her recipes.