Author Topic: Foxx's Lambs Fry With Bacon & Onion  (Read 20553 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Foxx's Lambs Fry With Bacon & Onion
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »
Well I finally got around to making this recipe today Foxx and others interested. It looked nothing like yours Foxx - how ever did you manage to keep the pieces intact?  This is what I did once I realised that if I cooked mine as long as you did, it would have been one big mush.

Firstly I only chopped the onion 2 sec/speed 5 as I like some chunkiness to my onions.
I then cooked the onion and bacon on varoma temperature for 3 minutes/reverse/speed 1 then added the leftover flour (from the dusting of the lamb's fry) which I cooked for 1 minute/varoma temp/reverse/speed 1.

Added the liver pieces and only cooked 3 mins/varoma temp/reverse/speed 1 before adding the water and cooking for a further 4 mins/100o/reverse/speed 1.

Placed the mixture into a casserole dish which fitted into the varoma dish. The liver wasn't cooked but if I had continued to cook it in the TM bowl, I didn't think I would have been left with any pieces at all.

Filled the steaming basket with carrot and potato pieces.  Poured a litre of boiling water into the bowl, placed the varoma dish on top and set the time for 30 mins/varoma temp/speed 3. I had the varoma tray in place as I did intend putting some frozen peas on there for the last 5 minutes or so but I came onto the forum and completely forgot about them.  I then cooked them separately in the microwave whilst I mashed the potato.

I was a bit dubious as to how this meal would taste but even though it didn't look the best, it tasted just like my old version of lamb's fry and bacon made in a saucepan. The only thing I hate about lamb's fry is all the veins you have to remove which of course means you can't slice it neatly, well I can't anyway.

Thanks for your recipe Foxx, it was worth a try but I think for me, it's quicker and a neater finished meal when made in a saucepan/frying pan.  I would love for someone else to try this recipe and see what they think.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Foxx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 02:51:15 am »
Sorry for late reply Judydawn but I have just about given up with this forum due to it being hard at times to log in etc. It took me awhile to get in just now. Sorry yours didn't turn out. I think I may need to edit my recipe and put an addit maybe "Reserve the left over flour if you wish to thicken the gravy at the end". I think cos you added the leftover flour with the bacon/onion then cooked it that's where it may possibly have gone funny. I am going to try this recipe again just to double check everything through. Thanks for trying it Judydawn  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 05:08:44 am »
I think you are right Foxx, perhaps I will give it another go another time and leave the thickening to last.  It worked well and saved time though being able to cook the vegies whilst continuing to cook the lamb's fry in the varoma.

I don't know why you are having a problem logging in, haven't heard of others having this trouble.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:57 am »
Doesn't everyone log in permanently?

The only ones who wouldn't would be those snooping about maybe?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 05:53:14 am »
I'm with you Gert I stay permanently logged in. Hope you are feeling good today.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:22 am »
Oh I looooovvvvee Lamb's fry with bacon and onion, though I cook it with tinned tomatoes too  :D Might have to send DH and the kids out for brekky one morning so I can make it  :D

... and yes I am permanently logged in too  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 06:05:01 am »
I'm not permanently logged in.  I think it's because I've a DH who works in I.T. and he is always telling me to log out of anything, shut down, turn off etc!

Week days when I'm at work I usually check out the forum, but I don't sign in.  Lurking maybe, not snooping  ;D
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:14 am »
I am usually logged in permanently but for a few days it just isn't happening and I have to log on every time for some reason.  Still doesn't take long though.  Will have a word to MM and see if there is a reason later.

Offline Foxx

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:23 am »
I think you are right Foxx, perhaps I will give it another go another time and leave the thickening to last.  It worked well and saved time though being able to cook the vegies whilst continuing to cook the lamb's fry in the varoma.

I don't know why you are having a problem logging in, haven't heard of others having this trouble.

I'm still going to give it another shot just in case. If you do try it again Judydawn let me know the result,please. I'm not very good at wording things actually so next time I will take more care in submitting a recipe. I did edit in that little bit too in the recipe here. But I still hope others try it. It seemed to log in me quite hastily now so I'm wondering whether its my nets "time of month" again or maybe my browser. I usually use old internet explorer but this time I used Google Chrome? Dunno,but will persevere with it. Not sure if Im permanently logged in or not?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 05:50:19 am »
I saw this a while ago and decided to try it to see if it was better than on the stove .

I have to say I am not one to closely follow a recipe unless it is critical.

I just winged it.  I soaked the liver in salted milk for an hour or so. I then removed some of the  membrane but was not too picky about it. I sliced it into  THICK slices, tossed it into flour with salt and pepper.

I took a really large onion, sliced it  in half then thickish slices  lengthways. I cooked that for 5 minutes on 100 before adding the liver.  Into the THERMOTHINGY  for 5 min on 100. I then poured some water through the lid and  cooked it for another 3 minutes. It was still soft enough to cut a slice with the side of my super spatula.

I put it into my thermoserver while I cooked some mash and put a couple of mushrooms and broccoli into the varoma.

I found the onions were very sweet so I served it with some sour cream on top.

It was easier and nicer than stove top. The liver was perfect and the gravy just right

Gert

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:11:49 am by Gertbysea »

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 06:00:50 am »
It is not a pretty meal but it was yummy and easy. Keep the liver thick and remember reverse. Good breakie meal.

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 06:07:27 am »
Gretchen, when did you add the liver in this step

I took a really large onion, sliced it  in half then thickish slices  lengthways. Into the THERMOTHINGY  for 5 min on 100. I then poured some water through the lid and  cooked it for another 3 minutes. It was still soft enough to cut a slice with the side of my super spatula.

Did you saute the onion for 5 mins before adding the liver or was the onion & liver put in at the same time?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:29 am »
Got distracted and lost  the plot and half the pot. LOL!

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 06:30:23 am »
Foxx will be happy you have tried it Gretchen.  The biggest problem I have with lamb's fry is that I am so darn fussy and have to remove all the membranes - you know how long that takes  :-))  My Mum never did but my dear Nana used to dice the lamb's fry so that it was easier to remove it all as she knew I would then eat it.  How thick were your slices?  When I made this one mine were no thicker than 2cm which enabled me to get the membrane out.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 06:45:13 am »
If you freeze the liver you can more easily strip the outer membrane .  I usually never bother and can't find any difference. I do when slicing  remove any connective tissue and sometimes there is a small calcified bit,  usually round , to remove as it can be gritty. My slices were  about the width of my fat thumb. Chunky works too as liver is very soft.

Same thing with brains. I do ot remove the membrane. Too hard.  Makes no difference if they are crumbed anyway.

Liver is nice for a change.

Gert