Author Topic: The Happy Thread  (Read 1047702 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: The Happy Thread
« Reply #2700 on: March 18, 2013, 01:48:47 am »
Jen my uncle and aunt are doing that Vietnam trip as well, sounds good. I hope that you enjoy it.

Amy - the only reason I left the pub was I got dengue. Took me a couple of months to recover and then I worked in a cafe up there, that was alot quieter!

Gert - we left TI almost 20 years ago now, I would love to go back and show our girls where we lived and worked, but the thought of a 10km dinghy trip to the beach we lived on on Prince of Wales Island with my kids fills me with dread! And to think we did it twice a day every day in all sorts of waves and weather!
I'd love to fly around the islands up to PNG like we used to, land on Yorke or Yam or Warraber and have a picnic on the side of the runway, head back to TI and have a beer at the old Grand - but it burned down one night - we sat on the deck of our yacht at 2am watching it - so sad, and the new one certainly didn't have the same atmosphere or 'feel' as the old one. Risk having a beer at the "Spear Chukkers Arms" (the Royal) - not sure if I'm game! A beer at the Federal would be good - it was the only one with aircon!
Oh the memories.... ;D

I have always wanted to go to Prince of Wales Island. It must have been some place 20 years ago. We did manage to get to Poruma island a few years ago. It was quite an experience but it does have an air strip.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: March 18, 2013, 11:19:58 am »
So pleased for you Amy. It's great to have a job you enjoy.
St Patrick's day is great. Some bars make beer green. And mum and dad got married on that day 41 years ago ;D

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: March 18, 2013, 12:45:52 pm »
so glad you like your job Amy :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: March 18, 2013, 11:13:15 pm »
Thanks ladies :D I did my RSA so I'm happy about that because now I can serve drinks! ;D

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #2704 on: March 18, 2013, 11:50:44 pm »
Congrats on your RSA Amy, It's a very handy start for you that's for sure.
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

• View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: March 19, 2013, 12:13:51 am »
Thanks Jadey, now I just want to do a barista course. Then I think I'll be all set :D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: March 19, 2013, 12:32:26 am »
good then you can come and make me coffee Amy :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: March 19, 2013, 12:41:23 am »
Amy, I don't understand how you can do a course like that on the internet.  Please give me a quick run down of how it works please.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: March 19, 2013, 12:54:59 am »
Sure thing Judy :)
There is a website specifically for the certificates. You register as a student and then choose your course, and it gives you the appropriate slideshow. There are 80 slides you have to read, and every few slides there are a couple of questions you must answer. Also after each section of the slide show there is a short "assessment" of 5-10 questions. At the end of the entire slide show, you have to complete the final assessment in which you MUST score 100% to pass. Then your certificate is emailed to you and you can print it out and give it to your employer :)

I must admit it would be easy for people to cheat. But I know that I read all the slides and I answered the questions correctly because I took the time to go over the information slides :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: March 19, 2013, 01:03:50 am »
soon we wont need to go anywhere like Unis to study, just all on the net.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: March 19, 2013, 01:23:57 am »
I'm glad it was so easy for you Amy, now all you need is some hands on experience.  How confident are you feeling at pouring your first beer?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: March 19, 2013, 01:25:49 am »
Good going Amy , you will be able to get a job anywhere once you have some experience on your side.

• View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:54 am »
Thanks Brenda :D

Judy, I'm scared of spilling it ;D Or doing the wrong size glass :P Why can't they just have normal sizes like small, medium and large :-))

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #2713 on: March 19, 2013, 03:01:42 am »
There's a bit of a trick to pulling a beer Amy, getting the right head on it - not too much, not too little. But they'll teach you and you'll probably waste a couple before you get it right. That's ok, it's expected.

Do you like coffee too Amy?
You might become quite the connoisseur!

Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

• View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: March 19, 2013, 03:10:26 am »
I've seen the way the other bar staff pull the beers Jadey so I know what you mean. And you have to do it differently for different beers! There's definitely an art to it ;D

I don't like coffee personally, but the pub serves coffee so I'll need to know how to make it ;)