Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6181278 times)

mcmich

Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #13680 on: March 31, 2014, 12:38:12 pm »
CP, is there a breed that you both like? With so many different breeds and cross breeds these days there should be something that would take both your fancies.  :D
There is a web site that matches you to the breed of dog that would suit. It's here one of many.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:06:37 am by judydawn »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13681 on: March 31, 2014, 12:55:03 pm »
I'm not keen on the Staffy breed either CP.Dog rescue centers here in the UK are jammed packed with Staffies waiting to be rehomed.I meet a Staffy called Taffy went out walking with Chance. :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: March 31, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »
I like Blue Healers and Australian Cattle Dogs but DW doesn't really like them.

We don't think we will have any more animals when the current ones are gone but if we did get another dog it would have to be one that doesn't shed and preferably something that is not small. I like Labradoodles but only whne crossed with a standard poodle.  I could probably go with a standard poodle or a lagotto (it's an Italian water dog).

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: March 31, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »
So you'll end up with 2 then CP - one of your choosing and one of DH's  ;D 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: March 31, 2014, 04:07:50 pm »
JD thats what I said to DH today "you can get one later  ;D". He said "oh great, you'll bring it down to the nursing home?" and I said "no, just the photo" (of someone else's dog). mich my DH has always wanted a staffy, but I have always said they were ugly. When we were going to look at some puppies yesterday he asked me about names, and I just said I'm going to call it Fatso if its a staffy  :D Funny you should mention that breed DD, cos DD2 has done lots of research for her dog and that was the breed she picked for future SIL to buy. She's even called it Rupert, who comes up in conversation from time to time but doesn't even exist yet. I don't want a dog that can't be let off the leash if you are in the park, or have to be worried about dogs fighting when you are out walking. I  know there are bound to be staffy owners and lovers reading this, but its just what I'm looking for in a dog. I even saw a Griffen Bruxelloix in my online travels that I thought was cute. Teacup Maltese look so adorable but apparently there is no such breed, and is a bit of a rort for just the runt in a Maltese litter. You are right CC, after looking through all the pound websites trying to find a dog to adopt, there are SO MANY staffys and crosses. I get a little annoyed by all the dog ads that have the mixed breeds that have to get rid of them because they are moving, and they are quite mature dogs yet they are still charging hundreds of $ for them. Are they really serious about finding a good home for them, or do they just enjoy the cute puppy stage? Ideally I would love to find a young FREE small dog (cute & non shedding) that needed to be rehomed that could get along with my gorgeous FREE cat. I don't believe that you should have to pay a heap of money to have the best cat or dog, and I think that if your circumstances change you should be happy that they go to a good forever home rather than make money out of your mistake purchase.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13685 on: March 31, 2014, 08:53:53 pm »
Just having a catchup on here while waiting for it to get light enough to go for my walk.  :-\ 

Will be glad when daylight saving ends this weekend as it's been getting later every morning waiting for it to be light enough. Not too long ago I was going out about 5.30am, now have to wait until almost 7  :(

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: March 31, 2014, 10:41:15 pm »
I know what you mean JulieO, I walked at a little after 6 this morning and it was dark for most of the  45 minutes i was out.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:21 am »
CP - we're staffy lovers, have had 2 and both were/are amazing little solid dogs.
I truly believe it does not matter what sort of dog you have, it will be what you train it to be. Both ours very gentle with kids, but don't put a cat anywhere near them!
The staffy we have now is 7 and is just starting to 'talk', he cracks us up with his antics and if we tell him off he'll go put himself in a corner and sulk!
He also weighs 50 kilos when he steps on your toes - even though he is only 20 kilos!

But - good luck in your hunt for a dog. It will be worth it in the end.  :)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: April 01, 2014, 01:43:14 am »
I agree with you CP. Everyone seems to want money for their old "unwanted" dogs instead of just being happy with finding it a suitable home.  I think pet stores contribute to this. I can't believe how many you see selling cross breed puppies for hundreds of dollars.

I think Nikkit has a point about breed behavior and training. I have a strong distrust and dislike for pit bulls and believe none of them can be trusted. However my niece has one that is the sweetest dog and gives the impression that it wouldn't hurt a flea.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: April 01, 2014, 03:37:04 am »
A very productive morning here.  BIL offered to come and help me finish culling things in my garage and garden sheds whilst SIL went on to visit Geoff.  I'd done pretty well on my own so far but gee it makes a difference when you have someone to help and who is willing to take anything you don't want to share amongst the family.  I now have a pile of things for a council verge pickup, heaps of empty boxes to crush for the recycle bin and anyone who saw them leaving with a full trailer probably thinks I'm moving out  :D :D  One very happy and grateful chappy here.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:00:17 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #13690 on: April 01, 2014, 04:33:27 am »
Well done, Judy 👍👍

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: April 01, 2014, 06:35:38 am »
Nice to have family support Judy and well done you for culling.  I have prescribed to the organised housewife so watch this space!
Denise

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: April 01, 2014, 06:46:51 am »
Good one Judy. Had a week bit of a toss out myself  as had to buy a new bar fridge. Putting inside one out and new one in the bar. Has a glass front so should be neat! Found soMe bits to neaten up on the patio but still have to get rid of old bar fridge. Pain in the butt as we have no council pickup.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

*suzanne*

Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #13693 on: April 01, 2014, 09:36:27 am »
you'll love it bedlam, I'm a very organised person but I do love her page :D
great job Judy many hands make light work :)
took the kids winter clothes shopping today expensive outing since ds12 has grown about 30cm since last winter he's now taller than me (doesn't take much) I've taken to wearing my heels when out ::)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: April 01, 2014, 09:44:51 am »
you'll love it bedlam, I'm a very organised person but I do love her page :D
great job Judy many hands make light work :)

+1  :D
:D