Author Topic: Making bread in a slow cooker  (Read 72946 times)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Making bread in a slow cooker
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:16:38 am »
During a recent heatwave here, Chookie told me I could bake bread in my slow cooker so I thought I'd give it a go in my Morphy Richards 3.5 litre model.

The Vienna loaf I made today was fantastic.  It rose so much it hit the lid which I hadn't thought to oil in expectation that would happen.

All you need to do is prepare the dough as per the recipe to the end of the kneading process. There is no need to do any rises.

Line your cold slow cooker with baking paper, tip the dough in (don't be too fussy, it will find it's own level in time), spray the top with water, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top (optional) turn the machine onto High, put the greased lid on and cook for 2 hours. A thermometer inserted at this stage will show the internal temperature to be approximately 211oF.  This is fine as 200oF is not quite enough for this loaf.

10 minutes before the end of cooking time, preheat the griller to 200oC.

Use the sides of the baking paper to remove the loaf from the SC, place the loaf (without the baking paper) onto a wire rack, spray the top with olive oil or brush with melted butter and place it under the preheated griller for 7 minutes to brown the top or until you are happy with the colour.

Remove the loaf onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing it.

Thank you Chookie, I would never have thought to bake bread this way.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:33:44 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Re: Making bread in a slow cooker
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:27:08 pm »
Interesting technique, Judy :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:27 pm »
It is amazing that this can be done. Thanks Chookie and Judy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:50:15 pm »
It's incredible the things you learn on this forum.Thanks Chookie and Judy for the tips :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:13:25 pm »
Thanks Judy for posting this.  I have made 2 loaves now.  The first was basically the No fuss recipe but replaced 1/3 of the white flour with Laucke German Grain Mix.  I lined the Slow Cooker with Silicon . This was cooked for 1 3/4 hours and was near perfect.  After talking to Judy we decided that a bit more time would make it perfect.  It was a very acceptable loaf. 
The second loaf was an experiment to see if I could make a small loaf and cut down on the usual mess I make .   I reduced the flour to 400 gs. And water to 250.mls.  I scraped the dough directly on to the floured silicon mat and lowered it into the SC.  This small loaf did not rise as well as the large loaf and spread more so was flatter. The less mess did work. 
The benefit of cooking bread in the slow cooker is that it is predictable, once you establish what is the correct  amount of dough and time for your machine.
This could be good for campers and caravan people (,  who have no oven but are on power.) if you are prepared to live with a non brown top.  It is different to steamed Bread as it is baked not steamed. 
It is probably also cheaper than lighting the oven. 

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:24:15 pm »
Judy great instructions, who would have thought you could cook it in the slow cooker. I never thought they got hot enough for something like bread.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:20:23 pm »

This is first loaf with 1/3 Laucke Grain Mix.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:44:58 am »
Chookie that looks great. Has the colour come from the oven rather than the slow cooker? it looks very crusty

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:57:03 am »
Wonder,  the bottom actually browns in the Slow Cooker.   I sprayed with olive oil and only took 3 mins to almost over brown.  Loaf has Walnut oil in it which may assist the browning in the SC.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:39:27 am »
I'm going to experiment with different recipes, I love cooking bread this way.  The first recipe I did was Chookie's No Fuss dough and after I put the dough into the SC I did think it may have needed a bit more water in it.  It's usually perfect but my scales have been a bit dicky lately so that could have been the reason.  Mind you the bread was fine but the Vienna loaf was a bit lighter and rose more even though there is less flour in that recipe.  I weighed everything on my digital scales for the Vienna loaf so I knew the quantities were right.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 06:48:05 am »
Bread in  the slow cooker to be made at Monkey Mia. Or maybe the Dream Pot or even the bread machine. (we take that too) I will have a choice. I sometimes make the varoma bread with a bit of honey and sultanas and toast for morning tea for the masses.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 07:09:52 am »
Cookie,  all sounds good to me. 
Judy,  the Vienna loaf has 3 teaspoons of yeast to less flour as well as improver. I think this bread is probably best for sandwiches and the No Fuss best for toast after the first day.  Like you,  I will try different recipes. SD will be interesting.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 07:11:19 am »
Yes, of course Chookie - I forgot about the extra yeast.  That would have helped.  The SD experiment is all yours  ;D  I will be very interested in how it goes.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 08:44:11 am »
Thanks Judy & Chookie, what a great way to cook bread during the hot weather we have been having here.  Can't wait to give this a go.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:14:21 am »
Very clever ladies. I don't have a slow cooker but think your ideas are genius. Great bread.