Author Topic: Not TMX related - how long does a pav roulade last?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
Not TMX related - how long does a pav roulade last?
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:46:36 pm »
Hi
this is not TMX related so much, but I know the smart cooks on here will know the answer!
I am thinking of making a pavlova roulade for Christmas lunch but don't want to make it on the day.  Would it be ok made the day before and filled on the day?
Thanks
Narelle

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Not TMX related - how long does a pav roulade last?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:16:36 pm »
If no-one comes up with the answer Narelle, I am having a visitor this afternoon who makes these regularly so I will ask her and get back to you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:37:55 pm »
Thanks JD.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:35:44 am »
Narelle, I have never made a pav roulade, but lots of pav's and they don't keep well.  They tend to sweat and go very soft and I imagine a roulade would do the same.   I ALWAYS make them on the day they are to be eaten.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:59:42 am »
Narelle. I'm the opposite which is not going to help you. I would make it on Christmas eve and fill it on Christmas day. Make sure you store it in an air tight container. If you're really not happy with the texture on Christmas day either give your guests another wine OR put passionfruit all over the top and disguise it.  It's just that I refuse to cook on Christmas Day. I do everything the day before.

Perhaps JD's guest will have a wisedecision for you! :D :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:20:02 am »
Should be OK the next day - but a trick that MAY help - make the roulade and empty onto a teatowel that has been covered with a piece of baking paper and then, if you don't have baking paper on the base, place more paper on it and using the teatowel roll it up without the filling while still warm and store like that til the next day, then unroll, fill and roll up and plate up.

Good luck
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:08:28 am »
Sorry Narelle, my visitor always makes hers the day she wants to serve it.  She agrees with Thermomixer though in that it should be quite OK to prepare to the filling stage and do that on the morning.  In fact, I've been wondering what to do as a dessert myself so reckon this is going to be it.  I used to make a lot of pavlovas (always the day before) but haven't done any for a long time now so the roulade will be something different and filled with cream and cherries, dusted with icing sugar - it will look very Christmasy. Now to find a recipe.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 03:06:06 pm »
How did it go Narelle? What did you end up doing?
My BF makes them the day before and covers with baking paper to absorb any extra moisture.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 06:36:30 am »
I made 2 of these over Christmas, one in the old way and the second one using the TMX just to compare end results.  Both worked but the mixmaster version was a lot bigger than the TMX one - I will work on it a bit more and eventually post a recipe I think is satisfactory.   Both rolls had leftovers and I was eating the second one up to 3 days after I made & filled it so I think it definitely could be make the night before a special event with no worries at all.