Author Topic: what appliances have u ditched since getting your Thermo ??  (Read 10403 times)

Offline GoneCrazY

• View Profile
what appliances have u ditched since getting your Thermo ??
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:30 am »
ok so im new to the forum so not sure if this topic has been done , but im interested to know what appliances have u kept and what have u got rid of since having the TM ?
i due to recieve mine soon and wondering if i should keep my electric beaters , which i mostly use for pav's and cakes ?
my blender died so that was one push towards the TM ;)
we also have a big bulky food processor that i will get rid of .
I HAVE SOMETHING BAKING ...........................BUT IT WONT BE READY TILL FEB 2012 ;)

Offline HelenN

• View Profile
Re: what appliances have u ditched since getting your Thermo ??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:29:37 am »
I kept my slow cooker and my Sunbeam mix master!

Offline GoneCrazY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:43:05 am »
i will definantly be keeping the slow cooker !!( just replaced this after the cyclone as i left the insert in the fridge which was ruined and thrown out lol  )
and electric frypan (it only a few weeks old too hehe )

getting rid of the small george foreman and replacing it with a sandwich press as we usually only uses the george for toasted sandwiches now and it can only fit one at a time !

i want to have as little amount of appliances as possible as i don't have a ton of space !
I HAVE SOMETHING BAKING ...........................BUT IT WONT BE READY TILL FEB 2012 ;)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:27:42 am »
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:50:18 am »
The only thing I've really ditched is my bread maker - my mixer and my food processer are out of the kitchen but only to the loft.

I could manage without them but I prefer not too  ;D ;D

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline GoneCrazY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:36:34 pm »
thanx for those couple of links ladies :) they where a helpful read :)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:13:43 pm »
I've mentioned in other threads that I have kept my stand mixers because i simply have not been able to get sufficient volume in egg whites for recipes I prepare at least once a week, often far more.

The volume is not enough for some of my favorite bread recipes - and I'm often preparing more than one thing at a time and it is just easier to use multiple appliances at the same time instead of waiting for one process to finish, even though the TMX is very speedy.

For some processes, it is exceptional - I have not prepared marzipan any other way since I got it down pat.  That alone has saved me a lot of time and effort (and pain from the arthritis in my hands). 

I certainly would not be without the TMX but I also won't part with my other "toys" because I just love them.   Being a fanatic gadgeteer has lots to do with that!
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:47:49 am »
I got rid of my Kenwood stand mixer and I dearly wish I had kept it. I often do double batches of bread, cookies, cakes, etc and the TM bowl is just not big enough.

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:59:59 am »

I certainly would not be without the TMX but I also won't part with my other "toys" because I just love them.   Being a fanatic gadgeteer has lots to do with that!

I am obsessed with kitchen appliances, gadgets and anything to do with kitchen stuff including cookbooks.
One day I had a very bad day with cupboard space and in a hasty decission I gave away my ice-cream maker and have regretted that discission ever since.
I cannot/ will not give away any of my appliance as I may need them one day  :-)) :-))

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 05:55:40 pm »
Another reason I keep my other appliance is that a couple of times a year I teach classes to young women who know absolutely nothing about cooking. 
I teach them how to safely use the various appliances and how to prepare healthy foods on less money than they had previously spent on junk food, fast food and ready-prepared foods.

These women don't have any way of spending so much money on a single appliance but they can find mixers, food processors and so on at yard sales, thrift stores etc., for very little money.  Sometimes I take a few on a prospecting trip through the local thrift shops so they can get an idea of what is available and what they actually need.  I emphasize that it is important to pay cash and not use credit.  Many times they are astonished that they can get a good stand mixer for $10.00 or sometimes even less. 
I also teach them the junk to avoid because cheap is not always inexpensive. 
Poor people often end up paying more for things because they buy something cheap and have to replace it often.
I have appliances that are twenty or even thirty years+ old and still going strong.  Pro-rated, they have proved to be very inexpensive.

My oldest VitaMix blender was purchased forty years ago and cost 259.00 and still works just fine.  The cost averages out to less than $7.00 a year.  In the meantime one of my friends has purchased several cheaper blenders and has spent over $500.00, easily twice as much as I spent.  She finally got a VitaMix last Christmas!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »
What a great thing you are doing for those girls Andie.  If only they taught these sorts of things in school and learnt how to cook on a budget which we all normally have to do when we are first starting out.  So many people almost live on 'junk food' takeaways - if only they realised how easy it is to cook something healthy & cheap at home. Education is the key if they are not learning these things at home.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 11:05:45 pm »
They don't even have basic home economics in schools now. 

The young women in my classes are from the abused woman and child shelter, although not all of them have children, most of them have been in extremely bad situations but have made the move to get away from it.  The shelter only accepts women and girls who are drug free and sign a pledge that they will not smoke or drink alcohol during their residence. 
I've only had one instance where one of the girls attempted to steal money, but she thought better of it and came to me privately after the rest had left.  We had a discussion about how an action even for a small amount of money (5.00) could toss her out of the project and I suggested she do some work for me and I would pay her a fair wage so she could make enough money to get bus fare to visit her grandmother. 
I didn't report the theft attempt and she did well subsequently and did get out on her own, far enough away that her abusive boyfriend can't find her.  She keeps in touch and lets me know how she is doing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »
Must have made you felt good Andie.  If only there were more out there like you  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Ninny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 01:25:14 am »
I didn't have many to start with, but the one thing I have done is cover my stove top and that is now where i sit my TMX!!
Jenny ~ Lake Macquarie