Author Topic: Is thermomix a better blender than vitamix?  (Read 50163 times)

Offline emmyf9

• View Profile
Is thermomix a better blender than vitamix?
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:43:00 am »
Hello, i am a Vitamix owner and i cant imagine a better blender, however my boss is looking for a blender for our commercial kitchen and so im just trying not to be bias  and see whats out there.  Are there any reasons why this blender is better than a vitamix, and are there any complaints i should be aware of? thank you emily

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Is thermomix a better blender than vitamix?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:36:29 pm »
Does your boss just want a blender or something multi-function like a thermomix?

I haven't read any reviews that specifically compare the two, but I do know of a person that has burnt out the motor of two vitamix machines (over several years of commercial use) and I've never met anyone that has burnt out the motor in a TMX as they have a reluctance motor with no wearing parts.  Our thermomix group leader in Tasmania is a renound chef and she used many thermomix machines in her rather famous restaurant kitchen (for a variety of applications) and loved them so much that she decided to sell them. Hope that helps a little.  :)

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:03:30 pm »
Hi emmyf9,

the Vitamix is a very good heavy duty blender.... which can heat but is not able to controll it, with no scale to weigh the ingredients in and you need an additional food processor. You can always compare the Vitamix with the Blendtec, but never with a Thermomix. The multifunctional Thermomix is the world's smartest kitchen with a controlling heating element. You are able to chop, cook, crush, emulsify, filter, grind, homogenize, knead, melt, mince, mix, program, pulverise, simmer, steam, warm and weigh. The bowl is stainless steel and the blades are made of Solingen steel. The best for you and your boss would be to attend a demonstration and taste the food ;).
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:47:55 pm »
It all depends on the use to which it will be put.

I still have my first Vita-Mix, purchased 35 years ago (a commercial model all stainless steel)  and a newer, larger capacity 5000 purchased 13 years ago (I wanted the larger capacity).  I've put them to every use possible and while they have stalled a few times - easy fix, just let them cool down then start them up again - have never burnt out a motor and in fact, the Vita-Mix have this safety provision that keeps the motor from burning out.   Unless that is disabled by the owner - not recommended.

The Vita-Prep has a 3-horsepower motor and is used in most bars and commercial kitchen with which I am familiar.   The cost here is less than $500.00  so is 1/3 the cost of a Thermomix in the US. 

If your boss will use the TM31 for all the tasks for which it was designed and use it on a regular basis, then it will be a reasonable cost.  However, if all he wants is a blender and already has the other appliances (scale, cooker, steamer, etc.) then it will be wasted because if there are several people working in a commercial kitchen, they can't all use the TM31 at the same time. 

The TM31 is a fantastic machine but it is a bit unwieldy for certain blending tasks and it has not taken the place of my Vita-Mix.

I know some chefs are using the TMX and have several but the ones I have read about are top of the line, in high-end restaurants where cost is no object. 
For a small restaurant owner, the cost will always be the most important factor. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Tarah

• View Profile
    • Simplify My Life Thermomix posts
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 09:38:46 am »
Andiesenji, can I ask what sort of blending tasks you consider the TM31 is a bit unwieldly for... I suspect it's for slightly larger batches of food. I have a VitaMix that I passed off to someone else in my family (after acquiring my TM31) but only as a boomerang that comes back to me if no longer being used.

Before buying my TM31 I used to use my Vitamix for blending foods and juices but now use the TM31 for those and lots of other tasks such as kneading bread and making pesto which it does very well.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:11:03 am »
I think another plus for the TM31 is the safety features - I saw a you-tube clip with the Vitamix where they mentioned you must remember to switch it off at the wall when adding more ingredients (he had the lid off, stuffing in spinach leaves), as it will still operate with the lid off, and you could accidently turn it on!  With the TM31, you can't get your hand in when the blades are spinning - if the lid's off, or unlocked, it won't go; and you can't get the lid off with the blades going.  Also, if you puree a hot soup, the motor will slowly accelerate so it doesn't shoot out the lid as hot liquids can do when the speed is turned up too fast.  Does the Vitamix do that?
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »
With the TM31, you can't get your hand in when the blades are spinning - if the lid's off, or unlocked, it won't go; and you can't get the lid off with the blades going. 
This is one of my favourite things about the TMX. I am really comfortable with my boys using it.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:21:22 am »
Andiesenji, can I ask what sort of blending tasks you consider the TM31 is a bit unwieldly for... I suspect it's for slightly larger batches of food. I have a VitaMix that I passed off to someone else in my family (after acquiring my TM31) but only as a boomerang that comes back to me if no longer being used.

Before buying my TM31 I used to use my Vitamix for blending foods and juices but now use the TM31 for those and lots of other tasks such as kneading bread and making pesto which it does very well.

Blending thin liquids using the full capacity of the Vita-Mix is easier for me because everything is contained inside the carafe.  When I attempted a similar task with the TM there was constant splashing of the liquid out of the bowl, including enough to pop the MC out of place.
It is great for breads but I usually use my bread mixer because most of my recipes are for larger batches than can be handled by the TM

It has many, many advantages but I am used to doing things a certain way and have consistent results and really haven't taken the time to modify my recipes to "fit" the TM.
Right now I am very busy with gardening because this is the most labor intensive time in my area if one wants to get optimum yields so I am not spending a lot of time doing much cooking.  I am relying on my housekeeper to keep me fed and she is afraid of the TM.
She makes salsa by hand in a molcajete, makes tortillas by hand and bakes them on a clay comal.  She uses pottery cooking pots (cazuelas) on my gas stovetop, which scares me, but she turns out a perfect result every time. 

Once the garden begins producing I am sure I will find many uses for the TM. :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 02:51:36 am »
Can you send your housekeeper over here once you've finished with her Andie  8) 8)  Sounds like she is a great cook  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 02:21:59 pm »
Oh andie, I'm soooo jealous! I'd love someone to be doing the housekeeping while I'm gardening!

I think the TMX is only limited by it's capacity. It only holds 2 litres. If you're cooking for  crowd, then it's not suitable. But, even then, I'll do a lot of the preparation in the TMX and make the sauces etc. in it.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 02:34:50 am »

Blending thin liquids using the full capacity of the Vita-Mix is easier for me because everything is contained inside the carafe.  When I attempted a similar task with the TM there was constant splashing of the liquid out of the bowl, including enough to pop the MC out of place.

Andie - you can fill the MC with water to help keep it in place.  BUt it is a bit of a mess if the liquid comes out.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 03:59:19 am »
I should have added that it is much easier to flick the Vita-Mix switch off and on and the speed dial is handy to speed up or slow down the speed.  I find the setting of the TM somewhat slower and often I have to re-lock the lid because it doesn't connect every time and it is a bit annoying to unlock and lock it again. 

It is just what one is used to and old habits are hard to break. 

My housekeeper is a gem!  I didn't have one for several months and relied on a periodic session with a Merry Maids cleaning crew to keep the house clean.  It's much to large for me to handle all the cleaning and I am so glad that the L.A. school system cut most of the Spanish-speaking teacher's aides because otherwise she would be helping non-English-speaking students for little more than minimum wage.  She is happy that she no longer has to live with her daughter and we get along very well.  She is trying (without much success) to teach me Spanish.  And it is better for me, at my age, to have someone in the house, just in case something happens. 
It helps that I love Mexican food, as long as it isn't too spicy - there was a time when I was a dedicated chile-head but my digestive system rebelled and I have had to tone it down quite a bit.