Author Topic: Recipe Review - Vindaloo  (Read 15456 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Recipe Review - Vindaloo
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:45:05 am »
From Fast and Easy Indian Cooking:

I made a Beef Vindaloo and used round steak. I didn't add the extra chilli powder, but could have as it wasn't hot, just nicely warm.

This was very tasty, but I cooked it in a pan as I had too many other things to prepare in the TMX. I ended up having to pressure cook it though, as the meat was tough and the sauce hadn't reduced.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:05:56 am »
This sounds worth  a try. With the heat I haven't made much from the Indian book.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:44 am »
I'm surprised that we all enjoyed the food despite the heat. Indian food is actually quite light as there's lots of veges and rice. We're looking forward to the leftovers tonight!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:49:04 pm »
I made this last weekend for dh and a friend.  I cooled mine down considerably as I don't like hot food.  I added a good fair few chillis as the men do!

Initially they said it was really tasty but not hot enough but as they ate more of it they decided that the heat crept up on them.  Both said it was a really tasty, lovely curry (and they really are quite the curry connoisseurs!)

Top marks from us and has given me the incentive to make something else from the Indian cookbook

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Morte

• View Profile
    • Thermie Thinking
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:51:29 am »
Hmmm ... The presence of a tested and proven vindaloo recipe makes the Indian cook book a real temptation.

Morte
Morte

http://thermiethinking.wordpress.com/
Loving my Thermie more and more each day ...

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:58:10 pm »
Morte, the Indian Cookery book would have to be my favourite TMX book. I have loved everything I've made from it!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:53:34 pm »
This recipe is a winner! I made the marinade first and mixed with meat and put in the fridge to do its thing. Then made the sauce and cooked it as it should and then put this in the fridge so that I wouldn't have to do it when the meat was ready. After the appropriate amount of time I then cooked it and put in the oven for a couple of hours. Really lovely and didn't need any tweaking at all. Family have put this on the make again list.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:30:32 am »
I'm thinking of making this for dinner but am really not fussed in meat cooked in the TMX so am planning on using the pressure cooker for the final cooking. Reading through the recipe there doesn't seem to be much liquid, I'm assuming it maily comes from the tomatoes. From those who have cooked this can you give me an indication of the the amount of liquid/sauce, I need enough to ensure the cooker will get to pressure.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »
Made this for tea and it's a definite winner. One of the best curries we have ever had.  I made the marinade in the TMX then mixed with meat in a bowl and left for a few hours, then made the sauce in the TMX and put in the PC and cooked for 30 mins. I didn't have any green chilli so just omitted that and included all the ground chilli in the sauce. It didn't have the heat of a vindaloo but had a great flavor. Will definitely make again.

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:30:29 am »
I made this great vindaloo last night and we loved it. I made a half recipe, & did make it with prawns instead of meat(hubbie's favourite). I also used a fresh birds eye red chilli(from our garden) in place of the long green one, so it was dynamite in fact. I marinated the prawns for only about a half hour while I made the sauce, & thought the paste might be too fibrous as there were still bits if coriander seed visible as I couldn't grind the powder any finer. I needn't have worried as the marinade melted into the sauce. 
For hot Indian food lovers I recommend to give this a go. :P

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 08:44:22 am »
By the way Wonder, we didn't have any liquid issues..the prawns aren't cooked for very long though....just the right amount of sauce. I might try the beef next time as yours sounds very successful! I'm interested that you had enough liquid in the pressure cooker. I seemed to regularly burn the base of mine. In fact I gave my PC away. I think I'll do slow-cooking in the oven(or even microwave).

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Re: Recipe Review - Vindaloo - p.84, Fast and Easy Indian Cooking
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 06:35:33 am »
Beef Vindaloo - a very popular recipe here.  I followed the recipe - wasn't sure how red the sauce was meant to get before the meat was added.  It wasn't as hot as some vindaloos I've had before.  Lovely taste.  I marinated the meat for 24 hours.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Mama Fergie

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 07:18:00 am »
Curry looks great Cecilia.  :)
I think flavour over excess heat is always nicer in curries even although vindaloo is meant to taste very hot.
We eat lots of Indian food and you have put me in the mood.
Maybe tomorrow ;)

Offline fertilemertile

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:19 am »
I tried this recipe today but I have to say I was quite disappointed. It was a very tasty curry however nothing like vindaloo.

The recipe says 1 chilli (which seems a little absurd for a vindaloo  :P) but I ignored that and put in 10 chillies and it still wasnt as hot as I would have liked. I even upped the chilli powder!

Guess me and the hubby still have to have date nights at indian restaurants to get our fix  :)

Offline the annoyed thyroid

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 09:55:36 am »
We made this today and the sauce was divine. I used 4 chillies and it was warm rather than hot, but with a really full flavour. The only problem was that I finished it off on the stove as the recipe suggests and the meat was so tough. I don't know why. So disappointing  >:(
"Don't count the days, make the days count." Muhammad Ali

http://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/