Author Topic: The new Indian cookbook-any reviews?  (Read 13268 times)

Offline schnitzel

• View Profile
The new Indian cookbook-any reviews?
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:09:47 am »

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying the new Indian cookbook: Fast & Easy Indian Cooking.

Has anyone seen this book?  I'd like an idea of what recipes are inside it before I send off for it....also if anyone out there knows of a really good website featuring southern Indian recipes (vegetarian) I would be very grateful.

Happy cooking,
Sandra

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: The new Indian cookbook-any reviews?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:59:20 am »
I would recommend it - don't have it with me but lots of spice mixes, tips and from memory there were a fair number of veg recipes.

Have you seen Kurma's recipes? http://www.kurma.net/recipes/index.html
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:37:58 am »
Hi Sandra,

I have just received the book but haven't had time to make anything from it.  It has some great idea's that I would like to try.  What Southern Indian recipes are you after.  I have lots of recipes but they haven't been adapted for the TM.  Tell me what you would like and I will forward them to you.

Cheers

Trudy

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:01:05 pm »
Don't want to be a spoil sport but think it is not fair to print recipes from Indian book. I feel that after all the hard work that these two ladies have put into it, people need to buy the book to really benefit. I am not a diehard Indian foodie, but love the look of this book, and think it will be a valuable investment to tonnes of people.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline schnitzel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:41:00 pm »

Hi CreamPuff,
If you read Trudy's post she's not actually offering to print recipes from the book, rather southern Indian recipes she has 'that haven't been adapted to the TM'. 
I'm not asking for anyone to print the recipes, I'm just asking whether or not the book contains southern indian recipes as these are the ones I am more likely to use.
I've already looked on the official Thermomix site for some indication of what the index of this book might contain but as there is nothing there on the book I've turned to this forum.
I would at least like a minimum of information about the book before I spend $35 purchasing it.
-Sandra

Offline schnitzel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:55:41 pm »

Hi Trudy,

Thanks so much for your offer- I think I should be right for southern indian recipes as I had a bit of a surf around yesterday and also looked at Kurma's site.

I did have a fantastic SI cookbook which I lent to someone ages ago and can't remember who! I hate it when that happens!  Now I cant find 'Year of Wonders' and I'm desperate to read it again, so that's obviously gone off to someone else too!  And dont get me started over my Twilight books.  Anyway, back to food-this book was great but went something like 'fry for 1 hour, then simmer for 2 hours' so it was always a bit too time consuming.

My main problem now is that I can't get Urud dal in my town: do you know if I can substitute other dals for it?  I've got lots of red lentils and a bag load of chana dal.  Any ideas?

-Sandra

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 04:08:35 am »
Contents
Spices & Ingredients
Must-Have Recipe Basics

Tikka paste; Balti paste; Coconut milk & coconut cream; Paneer – Curd cheese; Cheena – Soft curd cheese; Yoghurt; Garam masala powder’; Garam masala powder Punjabi style; Ghee; Sambhar powder; Madras curry powder; Spicy herb salt
Tips & Hints
Rice & Breads

Steamed rice; Cumin rice; Pilau rice; Dhosa; Chapattis; Stuffed chapattis, Aloo (Potato) stuffing; Bread – White, brown or multigrain; Naan bread with onion & cumin; Peshawari naans; Naan breads made with chickpea flour; Parathas & flaky parathas
Starters, Soups, Snacks & Side Dishes
Curried carrot & ginger soup; Lettuce soup; Green pea and lettuce soup; Curried chicken soup; Curried sweet potato soup; Mulligatawny soup with chicken; Vegetable parcels; Onion bhajees; Spinach baked then fried cake; Dokra or dokla – Steamed savoury cake; Ondwo – Baked savoury cake; Wada – Lentil dumplings; Dai wada – Lentil dumplings in yoghurt; Samosa pastry 1; Samosa pastry 2; Chicken samosa stuffing; Vegetable samosas; Lamb or beef (Keema) samosas; Kebabs & koftas; Spicy meat & potato cakes; Aloo tikki – Lentil & potato patties; Spiced cashews; Prawn & garlic skewers; Bhel Poori; Corn on the cob in coconut sauce
Mains
Amritsari dahl; Imam bayildi – Aubergines with pinenuts; Cashew chicken; Stuffed aubergines; Lamb curry with mushrooms; Lamb curry with peppers – Bhoona gosht; Tarka dahl; Vindaloo; Prawns with sesame & coriander; Curried pigeon peas – Bharazi; Slow-cooked leg of lamb with Indian spices; Dry lentil curry; Chicken tikka; Paneer tikka masala; Chicken & spinach curry; Salmon tikka dinner with steamed rice & green beans; Beef & mushroom curry; Bombay aloo – Bombay potatoes; Lanb dhansak (or khichro or haleem); Spiced green beans with coconut; Chick pea curry; Rogan josh – Red meat stew; Prawn masala curry; Kuku paka – Chicken in coconut sauce; Vegetable curry with coconut sauce; Thai fusion chiken pataya; Chicken akhni – Oven cooked chicken & rice; Balti curry; Balti chicken with coconut cream; Goan prawn curry; Chicken in yoghurt; Potatoes with sesame seeds – Til wala aloo; Beef madras; Beef madras for a crowd; Lentils with cream – Maa sabot; Chicken korma; Vegetable korma; Prawn korma; Kadhi – Yoghurt sauce; Aubergine bhurta; Butter chicken; Sweetcorn in coconut; Pumpkin curry – Masala kaddu
Condiments, Marinades & Chutneys
Tamarind paste; Tamarind chutney; Fresh mint chutney; Fresh coriander chutney; Roasted sweet chilli tomatoes; Coriander chilli paste – Green chutney; Fresh tomato chutney; Green mango chutney; Carrot pickle; Lime pickle; Cucumber and/or mint raita; Lime chutney; Aubergine raita with sunflower seeds; Kachumber – Onion tomato cucumber salad; Peanut chutney; Fresh coconut chutney; Rosie’s coconut chutney; Carrot & cabbage sambhal; Red garlic chutney; Hot red pepper jelly; Aubergine Pickle – Brinjal pickle; Date & tamarind chutney; Simple date chutney
Desserts, Baking, Drinks
Kheer – Saffron vermicelli pudding; Custard; Carrot halwa; Mango kulfi; Lemon or lime sorbet; Lemon sorbet served in lemon cups; Mango sorbet (using fresh fruit); Fruit sorbet (using frozen fruit); Quick puff pastry; Shortcrust pastry. Rich shortcrust pastry; Nankathai – Cardamom biscuits; Mandazi – Little coconut breads; Cardamom cake; Gulab jamans; Melon & ginger lassi; Mango lassi; Salty lassi; Old fashioned lemonade; Sparkling lemonade; Mango smoothie (fruit smoothie); Melon & kiwi juice; Chai masala tea

Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 04:22:34 am »
Wow!

Thanks Barb... I think I need that one! ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 04:44:30 am »
Thanks Barb, You posted what I thought was needed when i started reading this post  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 08:02:10 am »
Great stuff Hannah Barbara (not to be confused with Hanna-Barbera) - I tried scanning the contents/index to post - but that is fantastic !!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:22 am »
I definitely need this book. Just love indian food (just love food really!) I can see some possibilities in the condiments,marinades and chutneys for the Christmas hampers as well. 
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:31:07 am »
Yeah and the spice mixes - great
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 09:19:01 am »
I definitely need this cookbook. Thanks Hannah.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 11:17:17 am »
What a brilliant idea Hannah. I'm sure you've just sold heaps more for TMX. Thank you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline schnitzel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 12:15:23 pm »
Thanks Hannah,

I appreciate the time you've taken to type all that out.

The contents look great-will definitely be buying this one.

Cheers,
Sandra