Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4550522 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #4275 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:33 pm »
I still try to support local/interstate suppliers of produce.  Buying at farmers markets,etc. We  have a local dairy that is now producing & supplying milk o tour local  area and beyond. Good on them. I work with a lady, who, with her husband also run a dairy farm, and after listening the problems they are going through, with running costs, and undercutting with Coles and WW, you wonder why they keep going. Although I do make my own yoghurt, I have also been buying Gippsland dairy yoghurt and it is beautiful yoghurt. Please support your local suppliers where possible.
Very interesting reading your post PP as dairy farmers have the same problem here in the UK with the supermarkets.Farmers are producing milk at a loss.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: July 28, 2012, 05:17:35 pm »
DD ordered a horse float today. She ordered a purple double angle load with an extra tack box and yards. Dad was called in to make sure it was a good deal. She knows more about them than I do. She asked me what I thought. I told her it was her money and she knew her finance better than I did.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: July 28, 2012, 05:20:49 pm »
lol got to love dads..probably because we look up to our dads when we are little but as we get older realise they dont know as much as we thought they did  ;D love and respect them though
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: July 29, 2012, 12:08:20 am »
I totally agree PP. support the local farmers.
We have just had 2 more dairy farmers shut. They will do something else, not milk, as they are loosing money.

The amount of waste is amazing, and its all because of coles and ww wanting perfect shaped fruit / veges at rock bottom prices.

Nothing wrong with a mark on a banana. Coles and ww have gone back to suppliers and asked for 10% more discount, so they can make more $$$. >:(

If the farmers have not upgraded and gone computerized, they get swallowed up by the big boys, or close...
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: July 29, 2012, 12:58:19 am »
Aussie Farmers brilliant, everything Australian. Yes the milk is more than c or ww brand but it tastes better & at keast we know whats in it.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: July 29, 2012, 02:24:23 am »
After reading about Aussie Farmers on this forum, I looked them up on the internet and rang up, all excited, wanting to join ......

They don't deliver to our area yet  >:(

Also grumpy, because our local council has just introduced a "green waste" pick-up for garden waste and food scraps, all of which go to a big compost depot to be recycled - and the collection truck drives right past our street - but wont be coming down our street  >:(

But at least we can still go to our local farmers market to get locally grown produce, and we are lucky to have a couple of excellent local dairies that do organic biodynamic dairy produce   ;D ;D  so I shouldnt complain
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:26:13 am by KarenH »
Karen in Adelaide

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: July 29, 2012, 02:27:26 am »
Aussie farmers don't deliver here, only Brisbane and Gold Coast in QLD.

Oh well, I support as many local farmers as i can direct..

I need the farmers to keep us going, so I have to support them too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: July 29, 2012, 02:31:34 am »
Aussie Farmers are expanding. Email them again & again.
It might work.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

jakodai

« Reply #4283 on: July 29, 2012, 07:21:38 am »
I bought a couple of the AWW cookbooks today

And I also put a iPad 3 on layby at Target, too. They're only $499 there, and I also get staff discount as my mum works for Coles, so it's only costing me about $475 instead of the $539 retail from Apple. I can't wait to get my own iPad - DS has all but taken ownership of the iPad 1 that we have, which I'm fine with, because he plays a lot of educational games which have taught him how to count and he's also able to recognise all the letters of alphabet. But it's a pain, because when I want to use the iPad, it's a bit of a battle. I use it a lot for recipes, but Murphy's Law means that when I want to use it, he already is. I also like to read books on it, but so does DS - he likes to turn the pages... lol.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: July 29, 2012, 07:24:01 am »
Youngsters everywhere are taking over their parents' iPads jakodai so you are not alone there. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

jakodai

« Reply #4285 on: July 29, 2012, 07:28:36 am »
I tried to limit how much time he spent on it first, to just when we were on the train, or at the doctor's and waiting for a while, but then I realised that he's learning so now he can have it when he wants it. I can restrict the stuff that I don't want him to do on it, so it's all good.

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: July 29, 2012, 08:25:44 am »
Yes who cares if their cucumber isn't as straight as a ruler,  it still tastes the same inside or if pumpkins have warts on the skin its what is inside that counts.  Also produce from farmers markets usually are ripened on the vine/tree etc, and taste so much better, not being picked green, & stored in cold storage for 12 months before you get to buy them. Farmers market fruit and veg last so much longer in the fridge too.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: July 29, 2012, 08:27:57 am »
Yes PP, I have to support local farmers, or else i would not have a business at all. As they are my main customers..

[/url

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #4288 on: July 29, 2012, 08:38:02 am »
I would adore having a local farmers market.
Unfortunately there is one but its held once a month on a Friday  :-))

Shame about the majority of us that have to work. And there's no option but the shops for the rest of the month for everyone who can get there. Its so silly!

Jadey  :)
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

mcmich

« Reply #4289 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:40 am »
Going off the current topic. Bought new PJ's, Oyster Bay Sav Blanc and flowers for the house.