Author Topic: Pork Larb  (Read 16239 times)

stacelee

Pork Larb
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:28:50 am »
I couldn't see a recipe for Larb here so I thought I'd convert a fairly basic one that I found on Taste.com.au.  I've added coriander and garlic because I like the taste of them in a larb but they weren't in the original recipe.  I've posted the original instructions as well as my modifications...I left the peanuts out because I'm not a big fan of cooked nuts, but you would probably want to chop them before step one if you wish to add them.

Pork larb

Ingredients:

350g pork mince
1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, white part only, finely sliced
1 long red chilli, seeded and finely sliced
1/2 cup chopped mint
2 green onions, thinly sliced
50g (1/3 cup) chopped peanuts
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 baby cos, whole lettuce leaves, washed, dried
1 clove garlic
1/2 bunch coriander leaves

Directions:

1. Heat a little oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the pork and cook for 3-4 minutes or until sealed. Add the lemongrass and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.

2. Add the chilli, mint, green onions and peanuts and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, combine the fish sauce, brown sugar and lime juice in a small bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved.

4. Pour the fish sauce mixture into the wok or saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes.

5. To serve, arrange lettuce leaves on serving platter. Spoon pork mixture into the lettuce leaves and serve immediately.

Modified for thermomix
1. Chop coriander leaves and mint, 3 seconds sp. 7.  Scrape into bowl
2. Add lime juice, sugar and fish sauce to jug, cook 3 minutes, sp. 2 80 deg.  Set aside.
3. Chop chilli, garlic, green onions, lemon grass 10 sec, sp. 9.
4. Add pork mince, cook reverse, sp. 1, varoma, 8 minutes
5. Add coriander, mint and fish sauce mixture, cook reverse, sp. 1, varoma, 7 minutes.
Serve with lettuce leaves

Source: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22679/pork+larb

members' comments

bickie - I made it tonight and agree - delicious. I wanted to try it in thermomix and was very happy with results. Great conversion thanks! I think the wok might give you quite a different dish but as I'm not familiar with the dish I was happy with the thermomix result. Had no peanuts and was a bit unsure of the toasted rice approach and so (Gert cover your eyes) used cashews. Sacrilege I am sure!!! But yummy.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:37:33 pm by judydawn »

Offline NomesFog

• View Profile
Re: Pork Larb
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:57:59 am »
there is a Pork larb recipe on the RoboGourmet iphone app...not sure what it's like compared to yours tho...
I put water chestnuts and bamboo shoots chopped up into my larbs I make...haven't made it in a while...will have to give it a go in thermie  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:34 pm »
Stacelee I like your conversion. I make Larb a lot  but never in the TMX. I will now try it. The only thing i feel you have left out is the roasted rice. I usually do that  in the oven for a few minutes and grind it in the TMX. In all my  40 plus years of traveling in Thailand  I have never experienced nuts in a Larb.  In Australia yes  so I think your recipe is pretty good and the rice will replace the nuts for the crunch.

Also I have never had two larbs  the same. It is a very individual recipe and is very forgiving so long as you get the basic Thai favours to your palate.

My absolute favourite Thai dish. Thank you.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:36 pm »
I agree Gert. I actually dry roast the rice for 8 min / 100 degrees / sp 2, let it cool and then blitz (like dukkah)
I normally mince my garlic, chilli, ginger, lemongrass in TM, mix the dressing. I still prefer to cook in a hot wok on the stove. Laarb is also my fave Thai dish.

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:49:02 pm »
Forgive my ignorance but what is larb and when/where/how do you eat it?
Thanks!
Gillian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:30:16 pm »
It sounds a bit like San Choy Bow teagg.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:00:28 pm »
Forgive my ignorance but what is larb and when/where/how do you eat it?
Thanks!
Gillian

LARB is a sort do dry fried pork, beef or chicken mince as the recipe below. It can be served hot or cold but usually warm with cabbage leaves or lettuce on the side. You can roll it in  the leaves, eat it with rice or add to other things.  If you were making chilli it would be the Thai version of Mexican I guess. I have seen it as a dip , a main , a snack . I would eat it  for breakfast as well as lunch and dinner. Like chilli no two are the same. From street stalls to 5 star restaurants  however it is made its never the same twice. Some like it hot. Some like it cold. Some like it on the plate nine days old!

It must always contain FRESH herbs including mint and coriander and something crunchy. In Thailand it is roasted rice but it seems in Australia  some restaurants use peanuts . Some like it with garlic.  It is basically a dry fried meat dish with a light  spicy ,hot ,sweet and sour dressing. Delicious.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:35:45 pm »
I made it tonight and agree - delicious. I wanted to try it in thermomix and was very happy with results. Great conversion thanks! I think the wok might give you quite a different dish, but as I'm not familiar with the dish I was happy with the thermomix result. Had no peanuts and was a bit unsure of the toasted rice approach and so (Gert cover your eyes) used cashews. Sacrilege I am sure!!! But yummy :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 11:50:25 pm »
I made it tonight and agree - delicious. I wanted to try it in thermomix and was very happy with results. Great conversion thanks! I think the wok might give you quite a different dish, but as I'm not familiar with the dish I was happy with the thermomix result. Had no peanuts and was a bit unsure of the toasted rice approach and so (Gert cover your eyes) used cashews. Sacrilege I am sure!!! But yummy :)

Whatever you like is good, even cashews!  Make it your own  but I guarantee the next time you make it .....it will not taste the same. Do try the roasted rice sometime. It is sort of the secret ingredient you can't see or taste but you know it is something crunchy. Cheap too.

I love Thai food .

Gert

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 12:02:47 am »
Gert, how do you roast the rice? Thinking of having this next week.

Thanks

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 12:51:59 am »
Just put some rice on a tray, pop it into the oven  for a few minutes until it starts to turn a wee bit brown.......ish. Let it cool then zap it for a Second in the TMx or just whack it with a rolling pin. You want it crushed but not beaten to death. Just. Wee bit of crunch.  Maybe  add a tablespoon to the recipe or less or more .  If you roast to toast too much you can keep some for next time or use it in almost  anything.

Gert

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 12:31:29 pm »
You can also dry fry in a pan on the stove (or in TMX). Just let it cool before crushing. It looks much nicer than nuts sprinkled on top (white vs brown) and doesn't distract from the main flavour too much, just adds the crunch.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:48 pm »
Thanks, having this on monday.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline frans

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 08:46:50 am »
Gert why the the change of your avatar on the forum is it because of hotmix pro.Tthere in no thermomix anymore. Curious minds would like to know ??

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 08:52:47 am »
Gert why the the change of your avatar on the forum is it because of hotmix pro.Tthere in no thermomix anymore. Curious minds would like to know ??

I wish!! No it was just that I was sick of the bloody apron.

Gert