Author Topic: Scales don't function properly  (Read 27514 times)

Offline sunshiine

• View Profile
Scales don't function properly
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:46:46 am »
Does anyone else have this problem?

The measuring scales of the thermomix, are very touchy and jump back and forth.   Depending on whether I step closer to the cupboard the TM is on, or back, of if one of my children approaches the TM, the scales can shift up to 30g either way!!

Now that is not very reassuring when measuring items carefully, as we have no idea just how much of any item has gone in.

If I step away to get another ingredient, when I return, the scales have changed again.

Strangely, I noticed this happening at my friend's house also, when the TM Rep was demonstrating the TM for us all.   The scales would drop down, each time someone moved closer to watch her.

Why is this and what can we do to fix it?   Does anyone know?   (thanks!)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Scales don't function properly
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:55:23 am »
They really shouldn't change at all sunshine unless something is touching the TM. Do you have the cord pulled out all the way? Is the TM on a stable surface? Make sure the cord isn't under the feet of the TM. And check that the feet of the TM is clean and dosnt have any bits of food etc stuck to them. If all else fails I would contact your consultant. I have never had problems with mine unless one of the things I mentioned had happened. Let us know how you go.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:27:36 am »
Dede has covered it all as far as I know. Just check that everything is stable and the feet clean. Your MC should weigh 25-30g, but then if the scales are jumping round that isn't any help.  Make sure nothing is touching the machine anywhere as this can unbalance it too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 06:29:11 am »
Happens to me too!  Our's is something to do with the structure of the bench I think.  If I push down on the bench it will change the weight.  SO I particularly have to be careful with weighing things like Baker's flour if I have the big bag, to not rest it on the bench, or put it on the bench and then set the scales.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:23:25 am »
I found I was losing confidence in my TM scales so now don't use them and use a set of digital scales which sit on the bench next to the machine.   The added advantage is that I can weigh in 1g intervals rather than 5g as with the TMX

This works well for me and I don't mind that I am not using one of the functions of the TMX - the rest of the functions are all so wonderful..... and I don't have to worry about keeping my feet clean (or rather the machine's feet  :D :D)

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:46 am »
I do the same as you Katya. For any baking recipes I use my digital scales and for anything where weight isn't critical I use the TMX scales.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:51 am »
I find the weight is , on average, off by 20-30 gms!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:13:46 am »
I was pouring something into mine yesterday and things just didn't look right.  I then discovered my machine was sitting on the cord.  Once I removed it, I weighed the MC to check things had settled down and was happy when 25g came up. I was also told by a GL not to drag the machine over the bench, to lift it each time it is moved so as not to damage the scales.
It sounds as if some of you have other forces in your kitchen if your scales are doing weird things, have you tried moving the machine to a different part of the bench?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:00 pm »
There is really only one other spot I could try..........might think about how to rearrange things and test it out.

Offline sunshiine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 02:12:23 pm »
Thank you to everyone for your feedback and replies.
I was almost glad to hear that some others have the same issues, so I know it's not "just me".
Thanks also for all the "hints" though none of them resolved this issue.
I don't have the cord trapped under the machine or anything leaning on it....but I do live in an old house with floorboards and limited bench space.   It seems sensitive to any movement - at times, it really feels like it is sensitive to human presence!
So definitely unreliable in so far as measuring accurately.
Maybe I need to hold my breath while pouring ingredients in!
Thank you again for the responses - and don't read this wrong, I love my TM....I just don't much like this idiosyncracy!

cheers!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »
Doesnt sound normal to me.. It shouldnt be doing this.. If i was you i would contact head office (directly not via your consultant) and see what they say.. Scales definately shouldnt be moving because someone approaches the machine.. Hope you sort it out
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 07:27:40 pm »
Mine has never scaled properly and the cord is fully extended, the TM is dead on level and everything is clean.
I also have the problem of the heat controls being off - it gets hotter than the settings indicate.

A friend who understands electrical appliances has told me that it is likely because of the conversion from 220 to 120 voltage and I should just learn to live with it, as long as it is operating well otherwise.  Since this is a problem only in America, I doubt it is the cause of problems in other areas. 

So I use a probe thermometer, via a hole I drilled in the flange of the spatula and I use one of my digital baker's scales to weigh everything. 

Even with these (to me) minor inconveniences, the TM31 is a very efficient addition to my kitchen and I wouldn't part with it.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 07:45:03 pm »
Gee sunshine don't hold your breath for to long. Might pay to pre chop things before you weigh them so your not holding your breath for to long lol.
Or Maybe forget using the scales on your TM altogether and use a separate scales to do the weighing got you.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:05 pm »
I too had similar problems.  Had a builder at my house recently (nothing exciting - new range hood) and he cut me a piece of board just a little bigger than the TMX - this now makes it easier to move as I can slide the whole thing back or pull it towards me without having to lift the TMX.  Also seems to have made the whole weighing thing much more stable.  Nothing gets under the feet as the TMX is not really being moved - just the board.  Hope this might help.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 01:00:50 am »
Hi deniser, I too had my TM on a board to make it easier to move it back and forward but then I discovered that when I'm kneading dough the TM moves too much and was at risk of falling off the board and possible the bench  So I decided to take the board away just incase something bad happened. Just be very careful when kneading.