Author Topic: Soy Sauce Chicken in the Varoma  (Read 30801 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Soy Sauce Chicken in the Varoma
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 02:17:49 pm »
Golly that must have been a shock.  Were you using the varoma temp or 100o to cook the chicken?  Was the TMX stopped at any stage during the cooking and the temperature not reset?  Was your chook 1.3kg?

Hope we can get to the bottom of the problem soon.  :)

Offline becforwood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 09:56:47 am »
yes a bit of a shock - and the smells were so tantalising that everyone was dying to try it but I had to cook it for another hour and a half! - everything I did seem to be right - varoma temp - tmx wasn't stopped nor was the temp reset...chook was just under 1.3kg...after extra hour and a half it was perfect and the sauce consistency divine - but we ended up giving the kids scrambled eggs and we had left overs!!...going to have it cold today - so not all lost as now I don't need to cook on Mothers Day!!  :)

Am wondering though if there may be a problem with my temperature gauge on the tmx?...this is where I'm in trouble being in Singapore - who would I go to?? :-\

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 11:36:26 am »
I'm glad it worked out in the end.  From memory one of our forum members had devised a thermometre-system that could check the temp of the thermomix while cooking.  Can anyone else remember what it was in relation to (so we can find the thread)?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 12:58:50 pm »
Andiesenji drilled a hole in the flange of the spatula so that she could insert a Thermapen probe into the ingredients in the bowl and there was a photo of it on the forum somewhere.   Is this what you were thinking of Chelsea? Here's the link to the photo http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/130162-cooking-in-your-thermomix/page__st__30. Just scroll down until you come to it.

Becforwood, did you leave the chicken to soak in the cooking liquid for the time stated.  The idea of this recipe is to partly cook the chicken, turn off the heat and let it sit in the liquid for 2 hours to cool. During this time it continues to cook.  I have done it using chicken marylands, cooked them for 30 minutes then placed them and the liquid in the thermosaver for 1.5 hours.  It is a dish that needs to be started early afternoon for the evening meal and is delicious.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:45:07 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 03:48:20 am »
Yes that was the one JD.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 09:59:01 am »
OOOOPs - did you leave the chicken to steep in the hot stock after it came out of the Varoma?  It needs to stay in the stock while it cools down.

I may need to recheck the times for this.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline becforwood

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »
sorry i have taken so long to reply...been a busy week and it's only Wednesday!

Yes I did leave it in the stock for 2 hours  - the chicken was totally immersed in it...really don't know what went wrong.  It tasted absolutely delicious though when we had it and the kids devoured it!! :D

Does anyone know if I can make quince jelly in the tmx??  I brought back 4kgs from my father in law's tree and was hoping to do them in the tmx!

:)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »
Yes you can make quince jelly in the TMX.   Chop the quinces up and cover them with water and cook until they are mushy.  Probably 30 min on varoma.  You will still have to strain them through a jelly bag.  Over night is best.  Then liquid back into TMX,  with 3/4 the volume in sugar.  Cook on varoma until it jells.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 10:48:26 pm »
Becforwood, I also had the exact same problem as you when cooking this dish.  I also made it in the early days of having my TMX and think the problem was that the full chicken was covering the majority of the steam holes so the steam was actually coming out the sides of the varoma rather than being trapped inside.  I think my chicken was probably bigger than 1.3kgs and was too big to successfully cook. The dish did taste lovely from memory but after all the fussing not one I have gone back to.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 12:52:35 am »
I reckon the problem is the bowl, not allowing the steam to cook it evenly. I would cook it in a roasting bag, much easier I'm sure. Am going to try this at the weekend in a roasting bag, will let you know ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline becforwood

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 02:23:16 pm »
Thanks so much for the quince recipe achookwoman - will let you know how I go!  Wonder - you made me feel much better knowing I'm not the only one!! x

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 11:08:54 pm »
Thanks bron - I will have to try it again to ensure the times are right.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline sew chin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »
Hi

I have been using thermomix for more then a year now and use it everyday. I am staying in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and I use to go to Singapore often cos I have a few friends using thermomix down in Singapore . If you need any assistance do email me and I will connect you to them.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 05:00:42 am »
Hi sewchin. I'm going up to Singapore in a few weeks. Last year when I went I looked everywhere in kitchens of restaurants and cafes looking for Thermomixes.
Welcome to the forum.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 08:36:43 am »
Wow! I'm glad this recipe got bumped! I LOVE Soy Sauce Chicken but haven't ever tried making it myself... this is on the menu for this week for sure!

Kerryn
Kerryn