Author Topic: Seeded quinoa salad--Dinner Spinner  (Read 10766 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Seeded quinoa salad--Dinner Spinner
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 12:21:46 pm »
Right, I will try this now. I've not eaten quinoa except in bread, so was hesitant to make this one.  Thanks everyone!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:05 pm »
I made this salad for our BBQ n Saturday night as well as tenina's chorizo and pumpkin salad.
The quinoa salad was a huge hit!!!
Will definitely make again.
Rara x

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 02:51:35 pm »
I'm going to give this a go after reading your feedback. I'm sure that DH and I will like it, but I'm not so sure about the DDs
That said, they do like quinoa.

In answer or the soaking question, quinoa has a soapy coating which tastes foul if it isn't washed off before its cooked (possibly the reason the roasted quinoa tasted so bad??). This can be done just by rinsing thoroughly under the tap, or by soaking.

The overnight soaking is probably to 'increase' the nutritional value, as apparently it makes it easier to access and absorb  the nutrition available. I think this is true of all grains?  Perhaps someone could clarify whether I'm right in that, as I'm not sure.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 12:51:54 pm »
I have only recently started to use quinoa in my cooking and we really love it and the fact that it is good for you!!

Made this tonight following most of the recipe and like the others have said, loved the textures in this and will make again.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »
Tenina says that overnight soaking allows the quinoa to begin sprouting. This increases the nutritional value.
I haven't gotten around to making this salad as our weather has turned cold and we're turning to soups and stews.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:56 pm »
Here is the results of the seeded quinoa salad the first time I made it:

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 05:13:46 am »
I made this last week, the first time I have cooked with quinoa. I soaked it for about an hour.
I only used half the dressing, and didn't need to add the rest.
We all enjoyed it, and the leftovers have been great for lunches. Will definitely make this again.
Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 01:35:26 am »
I must make this. I've left my Dinner Spinner at our holiday house in Albany! Can someone please pm me the recipe?
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 09:08:34 am »
I've emailed it to you Megan.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.